geforce 4 mx 4000 on p3v4x

Old June 24th 04, 05:23 PM
CapFusion

"Amit Brabbing" wrote in message
Hi,
I have an asus model p3v4x motherboard with a via appollo pro133A chipset
I got a new nvidia geforce4 mx 4000 instead of an old voodo3.
I tried to install the new video card and it did not worked well. Most of
the times it caused a full system halt or shut down.
I searched the internet and changed the bios setup so it will work in agp

2x
mod instead of 4x mod.

I also updated the display drivers and installed the via 4in1 drivers.

The final result is:

The bios does not recognize my new geforce. The geforce is being

recognized
by the bios only after I previously worked with the old voodo3.

If the bios recognize the geforce it is working well. But after a complete
shutdown the bios does not recognize the geforce anymore.

If the bios recognize the geforce then a restart (not a shutdown) won't
cause the bios to stop recognize the geforce.

What can be done to resolve the problem?

Thanks for the help

What is the exact model of that MX4000? Sound like a problem with the card
[guess].

CapFusion,...

Old June 24th 04, 08:40 PM
Amit Brabbing

the model is - geforce4 mx 4000 8x-64bit tv ddr 128mb

I don't think the card has a fault because I have tested another geforce4 mx
440-se and the results were almost the same.
I am starting to think the card is too advance for the motherboard.
Maybe the ddr memory is a kind of a problem? The memery on the motherboard
is sdram.

Old June 24th 04, 09:19 PM
jafar

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:34:39 +0200, Amit Brabbing wrote:

What can be done to resolve the problem?

Either your Motherboard is not compatible, or your power supply is
insufficient. I had similar problems when I got my GF4 ti4200. I had to
wait another month until I had enough money to upgrade my motherboard.

Your other option is... never reboot

--
Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
Senior 1st Officer

Old June 24th 04, 10:22 PM
CapFusion

"Amit Brabbing" wrote in message
the model is - geforce4 mx 4000 8x-64bit tv ddr 128mb

I don't think the card has a fault because I have tested another geforce4

mx
440-se and the results were almost the same.
I am starting to think the card is too advance for the motherboard.
Maybe the ddr memory is a kind of a problem? The memery on the motherboard
is sdram.

MoBo maybe the problem. But I doubt it due to too "advance". MX4000 and MX
series is about the same as GF2 card except not using DDR memory.

Try update your P3V4X
http://www.asus.com/support/download...&Type=Latest&S
Language=en-us
Especially VIA driver for your GART [AGP] 4in1
Or maybe also 4x registry key

When this freeze / halt in Windows, most like those driver or utilities of
some component is out-of-wack.

This is my ¼ cent of the penny for you worth.
CapFusion,...

Old June 24th 04, 11:38 PM
Walt E

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hard...4x/index.shtml says mobo
is agp4x it could be the mobo is too old to recognize the newer vid card or
that the power supply has an insufficient voltage/power to support the new
vid card. how much power (watts) does your power supply have. try booting
into safe mode ( F8 while booting into windows ) and uninstall all of the
video related programs and reboot back to window and reinstall your vid
drivers. you can pick up a new power supply at
http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com look on page
http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com....asp?C=18&s=85 and you can
find a 550 watt ps for $24 USD ( you should upgrade the powers supply anyway
as newer stuff eats up a lot of power