Old A7V lockup problem with Northbridge?

Old July 24th 03, 01:31 AM
grendel

Default Old A7V lockup problem with Northbridge?

For a long time I've been having problems with lockups on my A7V. It seems
my Northbridge is the problem. It has the stock heatsink on it and the
heatsink gets somewhat hot. I'm in summer now and the mobo temp gets to
about 30C and the CPU around 52C idle. Anyway, using component cooler I was
pretty much able to verify that with the Northbridge heatsink cooled alot
(and therefore the chip) I had no lockups in GTA3 or other things. Without
cooling I get lockups usually within a minute. I'm getting a new mobo since
I need to update anyway but does this seem like something that could happen?
A Northbridge failing like that?

I have an inlet and outlet fan and I even had a better CPU at one time that
would keep those temps about 5 C cooler. However it would still occur. I
don't think the problem is CPU related since the Athlon should be fine at
those temps and I was cooling the Northbridge and it was helping and not the
CPU.

Just trying to make some use of the board I guess after my new one comes.
Maybe it will become a Linux box.

Old July 24th 03, 06:02 PM
kony

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:31:25 GMT, "grendel"
wrote:

For a long time I've been having problems with lockups on my A7V. It seems
my Northbridge is the problem. It has the stock heatsink on it and the
heatsink gets somewhat hot. I'm in summer now and the mobo temp gets to
about 30C and the CPU around 52C idle. Anyway, using component cooler I was
pretty much able to verify that with the Northbridge heatsink cooled alot
(and therefore the chip) I had no lockups in GTA3 or other things. Without
cooling I get lockups usually within a minute. I'm getting a new mobo since
I need to update anyway but does this seem like something that could happen?
A Northbridge failing like that?

Can heat cause lockups? Sure, but it's not really a "failing", it's a
well-known fact that computer equipment needs moderate ambient temps
OR to have extra steps taken when used in more hostile environments.

If you've confirmed the Northbridge to be overheating, why didn't you
go ahead and replace the cooler already?

I have an inlet and outlet fan and I even had a better CPU at one time that
would keep those temps about 5 C cooler.

This is puzzling... a better CPU reduced temps? This could be
insignificant though, neither temp has a direct bearing on the
northbridge temp.

However it would still occur. I
don't think the problem is CPU related since the Athlon should be fine at
those temps and I was cooling the Northbridge and it was helping and not the
CPU.

Just trying to make some use of the board I guess after my new one comes.
Maybe it will become a Linux box.

Reduce the ambient temps or replace the northbridge cooler.

Dave

Stability problem with Chaintech 7NIF2 MB and Athlon XP 2000/266. Need advice!! Wuahn General 2 July 22nd 03 01:47 PM
Still a problem! JOE BLOW General 2 July 16th 03 05:02 PM
Weird CD reading problem Devang Devani General 1 July 12th 03 03:09 AM
New ATI 9700 non-pro lockup problem...HELP please grendel General 0 July 11th 03 02:54 PM
Advice on lockup problem grendel General 1 July 7th 03 05:39 AM