How to flash bios 9800np to 9800 pro?

Old November 26th 03, 08:09 AM
Milo Malhame

Default How to flash bios 9800np to 9800 pro?

I have read several posts on bios flashing but I am not sure exactly how to do it. My card is a Sapphire 9800 non pro with 128 megs of Infineon ram. I can currently overclock from stock 324x290, to pro speeds of 380x340 and all runs stable with 3.9 Cat drivers. By bios flashing, would I be able to clock the card even higher? I would like to flash the bios but I am uncertain of the risk/reward ratio. How many of you non pro owners have flashed and are happy with the results. Can I get detailed instructions how to do it?
Cheers
Milo
Old November 26th 03, 05:59 PM
JAD

TURN OFF HTML!!!!!!!!!!

If i were you I'd leave the damn thing alone........i see nothing but smoke in your future..

Old November 26th 03, 07:05 PM
John Hall

Here's the link with info on how you flash a non pro to a pro.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33695811

Now, you have to be careful that your non pro can actually run like a pro. Thus I would recommend that you run your non pro at pro speeds for a few weeks, or even a month, to make sure that it will be stable. My non pro had Samsung ram and the word on the street was that it would overclock well, and it did. I could easily run it faster than pro speeds. I only flashed the bios after running at pro speeds for a few weeks, and thoroughly testing it to ensure stability. You have Infineon ram and the word is that it does not overclock as well. But your experience may be different. Good luck.

Having said all that, the 9800 non pro is a damn fine card and if you don't have the money to replace it, why bother overclocking it or flashing the bios.

I leave you conflicted.

JK
Old November 26th 03, 09:40 PM
bob cox

I'd tend to agree....and don't take this as elitist, just truth...

if you can't figure out how to flash the ati bios on your own , then
you have no biz doing it. too many variables and some amount of
prestesting is required.

(better to write us with how you THINK it's done and get it confirmed)

BTW risk-to-reward? there is no reward, the newer clock speeds will
make no real difference in today's games, so any amount of risk will
be higher than the reward. Esp. with a 9800....

Old November 27th 03, 08:19 AM
Milo Malhame

Thanks guys,
I think I will just leave well enough alone for now and see if card runs
stable for a few months at 380x340. If it does I may flash the bios at a
later date.
Like just before I am ready for the next video card upgrade. That way if I
fry it it won't be so painful.
Milo

"John Hall" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
[...]

Bios Update Question [email protected] Asus Motherboards 1 February 15th 05 01:45 PM
Old P/I-P55TP4XE BIOS flash problems Erick Ondich Asus Motherboards 2 December 6th 04 02:43 PM
A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 Trouble after bios flash to 1007 (Long) Don Reese Asus Motherboards 6 June 28th 04 06:47 AM
GA-7N400 Pro BIOS flash help needed Bill Larcombe Gigabyte Motherboards 2 June 11th 04 05:41 PM
A7V333-X new BIOS 1004 Paul Asus Motherboards 4 June 26th 03 12:08 PM