Can't boot Windows WP after installing A7N8X Deluxe

Old November 27th 03, 03:05 PM
Chris Farmer

Default Can't boot Windows WP after installing A7N8X Deluxe

I did a search for this problem and couldn't find an answer so I
figured I'd post my own question.

I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU to an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and
Athlon 2500+ Barton. Since the Mobo has so much onboard stuff, I took
out my SB Live 5.1, network card and firewire card. I haven't
upgraded my video card or HD yet so my current system is as follows:

Athlon 2500+ Barton
Asus A7N8X DLX
Corsair Value PC3200 512 GB
Maxtor 60GB IDE HD
Old Geforce2 64mb card (next to be upgraded)
420 W Power Supply

After installing everything I went to boot up the computer and
everything went fine until I got to the Windows portion of the boot
up. I get a VERY brief blue screen and then the computer reboots. I
have my FSB set to 166 (333) which everything is designed to handle.
I can boot to CD, but not the HD. I'm not at my computer right now
(so I can actually get on the internet) so I haven't changed to
"reboot on blue screen" option in bios.

Here are my thoughts:
-Antivirus program on HD is not enabling me to reboot (is that
possible)
-Some setting is wrong concerning the S-ATA setup (since I don't have
any SATA drives)
-Some "other" setting is wrong that I'm unaware of

I don't think anything happened to the drive. It is still set to
"master" on it's own IDE cable. The bios recognizes the drive just
fine but I can't boot Windows from it.

Any thoughts.
Thanks,
Chris
Old November 27th 03, 03:11 PM
KK

I don't think anything happened to the drive. It is still set to
"master" on it's own IDE cable. The bios recognizes the drive just
fine but I can't boot Windows from it.

Have you tried to disable SATA controller ?
Have you tried to run Wndows in safe mode ?

Old November 27th 03, 03:18 PM
Ben Pope

Chris Farmer wrote:
I did a search for this problem and couldn't find an answer so I
figured I'd post my own question.

I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU to an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and
Athlon 2500+ Barton. Since the Mobo has so much onboard stuff, I took
out my SB Live 5.1, network card and firewire card. I haven't
upgraded my video card or HD yet so my current system is as follows:

What did you upgrade from? If you change the chipset, Windows will likely
not load.

You can try safe mode and changing the IDE controller, but I'm not sure
that'll work either. You can either stick your old mobo back in and then
revert to standard MS IDE Controller and then change back, or try a repair
install of windows.

Ben

Old November 27th 03, 03:59 PM
chris.catt

Hi, ir you are using ME, XP or W2k then you'll need to perform a repair
install, see here
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
for info XP.
This might wrap so copy and paste into the address bar.....
Chris C

Old November 27th 03, 09:52 PM
Chris Farmer

Thanks for the info. I'll try to repair the install of Windows XP
(not WP).

I upgraded from a T-bird 1.2 and Asus A7V. I never thought I'd have a
problem with the IDE controller or even Windows for that matter. I
figured I could just plug the HD into the system and it would run just
the same.

Hopefully Windows comes through for me and the repair installation
works. That would be the easiest solution.

Thanks,
Chris
Old November 27th 03, 10:51 PM
Pug

Changing any major part hardware that isn't critical can cause blue
screens, I changed my scsi card from a 2940u2w to a 19160 u160 card and got
instant blue screen. Changing the motherboard from a via chipset to an
nforce2 will change just about every critical system, memory interface, pci
/ agp controller, ide controller. If your going to do a repair install you
may as well do a total reinstall.

You could do this in win98, I've done it a couple of times, but with
win2k, nt4 and XP it's not a good idea.

Steve

om...

Old December 2nd 03, 05:14 PM
Chris Farmer

Reinstalling Windows did the trick. It was a minor annoyance, but the
new system is up and running. Athlon 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ and
running at 36 C with little effort on my part.