External hard drive not quite right

Old December 4th 03, 01:10 AM
Craigers

Default External hard drive not quite right

I bought a ready made Western Digital external drive which was already
partitioned as 114GB FAT32, and connect using 1394; works a treat and is
now full.

I then bought an ADS Tecnologies Pyro 1394 Drive kit and installed a
Maxtor 120 GB drive into it. The jumper was set on 'Master.' It was then
formatted as an NTFS partition.

When attempting video capture I am informed by that software (Pinnacle)
the write portion is not fast enough¹.

To check this out further, I attempted to move files from the HDD and
it is _noticably_ slower; and if it's a (largish) video file, it will
run but there is visible frame 'static.'.

I have have switching both 1394 cable ports on the pc box, as well as
daisy chaining into the other firewire device.

All indications from the W2K Computer Management consloe indicate the
device is working properly. Then why the slow speed?

1394 Adapter is a Linksys Model DFB-A5 USB 2.0/Firewire combo adapter,
and it works ok with other devices.

Any suggestions? Is there a way I can measure the transfer rate to see
if it is performing as designed?

I have conatacted ADSTech but it's only been a day and have little
confidence they will respond.

System:
OS is Windows 2000 SP4, PIII 1,000GHz, 512MB RAM.

--
Craig

1. The WD drive "reads 31222 kb/sec, writes 12041 kb/s"; the ADS "reads
25973 kb/s, writes 1091 kb/s" and "...is not capable of capturing DV
data." Ah.
Old December 7th 03, 06:11 AM
jeremy

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:10:27 -0800, Craigers wrote:

I bought a ready made Western Digital external drive which was already
partitioned as 114GB FAT32, and connect using 1394; works a treat and is
now full.

I then bought an ADS Tecnologies Pyro 1394 Drive kit and installed a
Maxtor 120 GB drive into it. The jumper was set on 'Master.' It was then
formatted as an NTFS partition.
SNIP

Judging from the 0 responses everyone is as clueless as I am (or you)

What if you swap the drives and benchmark them in the other enclosures?

Please remove your windows partition when replying by email
Old December 8th 03, 07:18 AM
kony

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:10:27 -0800, Craigers
wrote:

[...]

As jeremy suggested, it might be telling to swap the drives and see if
that makes any difference.

Have you checked the ADS website for a driver or tech notes?

Unfortunately, enclosures can use low-end or better controllers just
as motherboards or other devices can... might just be a poor
enclosure. If you can open the unit without creating any warranty
issues, you might tell us what chipset it's using, so far there is
very little reported data about enclosure performance-by-chipset (that
I'm aware of).

Dave