maztor hard disk problems

Old November 20th 04, 07:59 PM
Mr Jessop

Default maztor hard disk problems

Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram drive.
windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled. but
it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.

So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on again
no difference.

Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
wouldn't get past detect stage.

Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide channel.
set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't accept that
new drive exists at all in device manager.

Old November 20th 04, 09:07 PM
Synkro

Can you hear it spin up when you turn the power on?
If not its def. dead.

If it wont detect as master on primary ide with no other drives
connected at all, and you are sure cables are the right way round
(some dont have the notches) Then its......DEAD. :cry:

Old November 20th 04, 09:14 PM
Mr Jessop

"Synkro" wrote in message
Can you hear it spin up when you turn the power on?
If not its def. dead.

If it wont detect as master on primary ide with no other drives
connected at all, and you are sure cables are the right way round
(some dont have the notches) Then its......DEAD. :cry:

My current hd is 40gb. could this be a bios thing? 120gb too much. also
this drive is 133. my other one is 66 or 100. I don't know what the mobo
or the cable is. Its definitely faster than 33. I don't know if it needs
to be special to be 133 compatible. But if the master is running at 100 how
will that affect my maxtor?

Old November 20th 04, 09:36 PM
Curtis Newton

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:59:53 GMT, "Mr Jessop"
wrote:

Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram drive.
windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled. but
it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.

hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
drive???
Old November 20th 04, 10:13 PM
Martin G.1.0

"Curtis Newton" wrote:

hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
drive???

I was wondering the same thing.

Old November 20th 04, 10:32 PM
David Maynard

Mr Jessop wrote:

Installed a maxtor on secondary ide. made a slave after my dvd ram drive.
windows detected it. windows says driver installed and device enabled. but
it isn't showing up in my computer as a drive.

It won't if it isn't partitioned. 'Drive' letters are assigned to
partitions, not raw drives.

Can't say much more as you didn't mention which 'Windows' you're running.

So i removed. checked that the jumper set to cable select it is. So i
tried setting it to slave (by removing jumper altogether). Switch on again
no difference.

Same as above.

Tried bios set manually to lba and user install instead of auto. Machine
wouldn't get past detect stage.

Have tried cable select with new drive as slave on the primary ide channel.
set bios back to auto detect. windows boot up fine but doesn't accept that
new drive exists at all in device manager.

What is the master drive strapped for? If it's a Western Digital, for
example, the settings are different for single master and master with slave
present.

Old November 20th 04, 10:42 PM
Martin G.1.0

"¤jº~¥Á±Ú" wrote :

Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays
error
message.

You sure about this?
I don't think so...

Old November 20th 04, 10:59 PM
David Maynard

=A4j=BA~=A5=C1=B1=DA wrote:

"Martin G.1.0" =BC=B6=BCg=A9=F3=B6l=A5=

=F3=B7s=BBD
m...
=20

"Curtis Newton" wrote:

hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
drive???

I was wondering the same thing.

=20
Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still sh=

ow
the letter,

Not in Windows 2000/XP.

only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays error
message.
=20
But I agree with you, my habit is to use a bootable floppy disk to boot=

the
machine, then use fdisk to start from there.
=20
=20

Old November 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:25:02 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
edge when "¤jº~¥Á±Ú" wrote :

"Martin G.1.0" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
om...

"Curtis Newton" wrote:

hate to ask a stupid question, but have you fdisk/formatted the new
drive???

I was wondering the same thing.

Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still show
the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays error
message.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.Wrong.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old November 21st 04, 09:44 AM
David Maynard

"=A4j=BA~=A5=C1=B1=DA" wrote :

Even he did not use fdisk/formatted the new HD, Windows should still

=20
show
=20
the letter, only when he tries to access this HD, it'll then displays
error
message.

You sure about this?
I don't think so...

=20
I believe Windows 2000 will assign letter to the disk, even it is new a=

nd
unformatted,

No. Drive letters are assigned to partitions, not raw hard drives.

I remember the sequence like this:
=20
mount new unformatted HD to PC, assure jumper and cable are all correct=

=2E
Set BIOS boot sequence to boot from CD-ROM.
Boot PC with a bootable Windows 2000 CD.

He wasn't installing Windows. He was adding a hard drive to an existing=20
Windows installation and wondered why it didn't show in Explorer.

In the boot process, Windows 2000 will ask you to create Partitions & f=

ormat
the partitions.

Notice that the first thing it does is create a partition.

At this point, you have option to create partitions on each HD

And it can now assign drive letters because you created partitions.

At this point, you have option to format as Fat32 or NTFS on each parti=

tion.
Then you start install Windows 2000
(You don't need fdisk at all.)

*You* don't because setup makes the partitions you told it to. The=20
partitioning is still being done.

Now, if you're not installing Windows, but simply adding a new hard drive=
=20
to an existing installation, it better get a partition *some* how or ther=
e=20
aren't going to be any drive letters assigned because there's nothing to =

assign them to.

The typical procedure is you go into disk management and partition/format=
=20
the drive with whatever configuration you wish.

I guess the fdisk is old concept used in Windows 98, you have to use a
floppy disk boot to DOS

Not if you have a bootable, fresh install (not upgrade), Windows98 CD. On=
=20
the first boot it asks if you want the drive set up and, if you say yes, =
it=20
partitions and formats it then reboots, to detect partitions and assign=20
drive letters, into setup.

Then use fdisk to create partitions & format every partition.
Then go back to install Windows 98.

Actually, Windows 2000/XP also 'goes back' to install Windows. After it=20
partitions and formats it'll reboot, to detect and assign the partitions =

drive letters, and then proceed to set up.

But Windows 2000 & XP will let you work on a raw, new and unformated HD=

=2E

The issue isn't whether you can *set up* Windows 2000/XP on a raw, new,=20
hard drive, and have it ask you what partition to make, but whether it wi=
ll=20
automagically 'create' them when you add one to an existing system. And, =

no, it won't because it has no idea what you intend to do with the thing.=

Here is an example for someone adding a drive to a notebook 'media bay'=20
(replacing CD with a hard drive so it's an 'internal' drive). It being a =

notebook is irrelevant as it's the same thing adding one to an 'internal =

bay' in a desktop.

http://www.bay-wolf.com/setupmedbay.htm