Heatsink/fan for 1.3GHz Athlon

Old October 11th 04, 01:23 PM
Ed Coolidge

Default Heatsink/fan for 1.3GHz Athlon

I'm planning to upgrade from a 750 to 1.3. Considering that my heatsink keeps
my 750 around 50C idle I doubt that it would be adequate for a 1.3. Any
recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $20 (shipping included), but
preferably cheaper. I don't plan to OC, so I just need something that should
give reasonable temps and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.
Old October 11th 04, 03:02 PM
Dave C.

. net...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-010&depa=0

Old October 11th 04, 03:09 PM
Ed Coolidge

Thanks for the fast reply! Actually, I was just looking at that very page when
I read your post! Unless I hear any other options, I'll get this one.

Old October 11th 04, 03:38 PM
Ed Coolidge

Dave C. wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-010&depa=0

Someone else recommend the TR2-M1 or M3. Does anyone know how these compare
with the WhisperRock II? I can get them at about the same price.
Old October 11th 04, 09:50 PM
Michael Hawes

"Ed Coolidge" wrote in message
. net...
I'm planning to upgrade from a 750 to 1.3. Considering that my heatsink

keeps
my 750 around 50C idle I doubt that it would be adequate for a 1.3. Any
recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $20 (shipping included),

but
preferably cheaper. I don't plan to OC, so I just need something that

should
give reasonable temps and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.

If your present CPU runs on 100MHz FSB, does your motherboard support 133?
Will your memory run at 133? Athlon1.3 runs very hot, uses lot of power.
What PSU rating and make?

Old October 11th 04, 10:34 PM
Shep©

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:23:56 GMT There I was minding my own business
and then Ed Coolidge wrote :

I'm planning to upgrade from a 750 to 1.3. Considering that my heatsink keeps
my 750 around 50C idle I doubt that it would be adequate for a 1.3. Any
recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $20 (shipping included), but
preferably cheaper. I don't plan to OC, so I just need something that should
give reasonable temps and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Click here,
http://tinyurl.com/ybtn

MicroFlow2 SPA07B2 (Skt A) Ref: CLR0006
Supports AMD Upto XP3200
more details

Online Price £6.48
£7.61 Including VAT at 17.5%

Cheap ,quiet and superb.Even comes with it's own tube of Silver
Thermal paste.Sure you can find one online where you are.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old October 12th 04, 12:47 AM
Ed Coolidge

Michael Hawes wrote:
If your present CPU runs on 100MHz FSB, does your motherboard support 133?
Will your memory run at 133? Athlon1.3 runs very hot, uses lot of power.
What PSU rating and make?

No just 100 FSB unfortunately.
I have an Antec SL450, so I'm sure that it can handle it.
Old October 12th 04, 03:22 AM
gothika

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:50:57 +0100, "Michael Hawes"
wrote:

"Ed Coolidge" wrote in message
.net...
I'm planning to upgrade from a 750 to 1.3. Considering that my heatsink

keeps
my 750 around 50C idle I doubt that it would be adequate for a 1.3. Any
recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $20 (shipping included),

but
preferably cheaper. I don't plan to OC, so I just need something that

should
give reasonable temps and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.

If your present CPU runs on 100MHz FSB, does your motherboard support 133?
Will your memory run at 133? Athlon1.3 runs very hot, uses lot of power.
What PSU rating and make?

He's right, I'm running a 1.3gig T-bird and you need plenty of reserve
power and a good sink and fan for it.
I'm running a psu rated at 450watts with 30amps on 12v and 35 on 5v.
My heatsink and fan is an Evercool ND-9-625SA, certified for AMD
Athalons.
My tower came with a 300watt supply that couldn't keep up with the
demands and caused frequent crashes and locks, the stock heatsink and
fan just couldn't keep the cpu as cool as it needed to be.(I do alot
of video editing.)

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 400watts on the power supply,
make sure P4 and Athalon certified(most are) and that it has inrush
protection and over current/over temp protection as well.
Old October 12th 04, 01:45 PM
Ed Coolidge

and then Ed Coolidge wrote :

I'm planning to upgrade from a 750 to 1.3. Considering that my heatsink keeps
my 750 around 50C idle I doubt that it would be adequate for a 1.3. Any
recommendations? I don't want to spend more than $20 (shipping included), but
preferably cheaper. I don't plan to OC, so I just need something that should
give reasonable temps and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Click here,
http://tinyurl.com/ybtn

MicroFlow2 SPA07B2 (Skt A) Ref: CLR0006
Supports AMD Upto XP3200
more details

Online Price £6.48
£7.61 Including VAT at 17.5%

Cheap ,quiet and superb.Even comes with it's own tube of Silver
Thermal paste.Sure you can find one online where you are.
HTH

I've seen that one on NewEgg too. It's a little more expensive than the others
I'm also considering (in US$) and the dB rating is abit higher too.
Old October 12th 04, 08:27 PM
Michael Hawes

"Ed Coolidge" wrote in message
k.net...
Michael Hawes wrote:
If your present CPU runs on 100MHz FSB, does your motherboard support

133?
Will your memory run at 133? Athlon1.3 runs very hot, uses lot of power.
What PSU rating and make?

No just 100 FSB unfortunately.
I have an Antec SL450, so I'm sure that it can handle it.

Pretty sure athlon 1.3 ONLY runs at 133 FSB.
Mike.