HELP NEEDED BSOD

Old July 27th 04, 09:30 PM
dino

Default HELP NEEDED BSOD

Help needed!!!!!!!!!

I have an intermittent crashing problem. It roughly happens when I start to
stretch the machine doing this like video conversion AVI to MPG etc. Or
alternatively it sometimes crashes when left alone with no programs running.
It may be after 10 minutes or 5 days when left with nothing running but is
usually 10% into converting a video file 700Mb.

Everything usually freezes and a red band appears at the top of the screen.

I have recently installed a second HD and thought this may be the cause of
the problem. However, it still happens when I disconnect the second drive.
Just in case I have just installed a 500 watt PSU.

System

Athlon XP 2000+

512Mb DDR

80Gb HDD

120Gb HDD

DVD

DVDR

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400

Windows XP 5.1 build 2600

500 watt PSU

Any help would be appreciated. I don't really want to replace every
component.

HELP

Old July 27th 04, 09:59 PM
MCR

dino wrote:
Help needed!!!!!!!!!

I have an intermittent crashing problem. It roughly happens when I start to
stretch the machine doing this like video conversion AVI to MPG etc. Or
alternatively it sometimes crashes when left alone with no programs running.
It may be after 10 minutes or 5 days when left with nothing running but is
usually 10% into converting a video file 700Mb.

I had problems similar to yours caused by heat. I bought a couple of
case fans and even the most taxing cpu activity doesnt overheat my
machine anymore.

Checked by MCR anti-virus system (http://www.crapsig.com).
Old July 27th 04, 10:48 PM
Bob Day

"dino" wrote in message
Help needed!!!!!!!!!

I have an intermittent crashing problem. It roughly happens when I start to
stretch the machine doing this like video conversion AVI to MPG etc. Or
alternatively it sometimes crashes when left alone with no programs running.
It may be after 10 minutes or 5 days when left with nothing running but is
usually 10% into converting a video file 700Mb.

Do a basic hardware check:

1. Make sure your CPU and case temperatures are OK, and
that the CPU fan, case fans, and any other fans are
working. One tool you can use to check temperatures
is the free Hpme Edition of Everest. You can download
it from http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en.
Run it, expand "Computer", and click on "Sensor". On
that same display, you can also check to see whether the
voltages are within spec, and you might watch them for a
while to see whether they fluctuate -- the display updates
itself automatically every few seconds.

2. You can also use Everest to check the SMART readings of
the hard drive(s): Expand "Storage" and click on "SMART".
The "Worst" value of all the parameters not marked "Always
passing" should be well above the "Threshold" (except for
the "Spin Retry Count", whose worst value may be just a
little over the threshold).

3. Shut down your computer and turn off power *at the
surge protector* (which cuts off standby power while
leaving your computer grounded) or unplug it. Take
the standard precautions against static electricity
(wear a wrist strap or keep one hand grounded at all
times).

4. Open up your computer and dust it out. *Do not use a
vacuum cleaner* - it might cause static discharge.
Get some dust remover spray (RadioShack has it) and
a dust mask, and take your computer outside and spray
out the dust. Keep the end of the spray straw at least
six inches from any components and keep it moving so as
to avoid excessive thermal shock to the components.

5. Reseat all the modules, including the memory modules,
and cables inside your computer.

6. Remove your CMOS battery and check its voltage
(or just replace it). Note: If you do this step, you'll have
to set up your BIOS again.

7. Turn on your computer, and run a few cycles of "memtest86+"
(download from http://www.memtest.org) to thoroughly
check out your memory. You should get zero errors.

--Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Old July 28th 04, 08:46 PM
dino

"MCR" wrote in message
dino wrote:
Help needed!!!!!!!!!

I have an intermittent crashing problem. It roughly happens when I start

stretch the machine doing this like video conversion AVI to MPG etc. Or
alternatively it sometimes crashes when left alone with no programs

running.
It may be after 10 minutes or 5 days when left with nothing running but

is
usually 10% into converting a video file 700Mb.

I had problems similar to yours caused by heat. I bought a couple of
case fans and even the most taxing cpu activity doesnt overheat my
machine anymore.

If I remove the sides of the case (both sides) and leave in the middle of
the room with a domestic fan blowing onto the motherboard would this help?

I have tried this with no help.

Currently

CPU 46 deg C
Motherboard 30 deg C
HD1 39 deg C
HD2 40 deg C

Any ideas?

Checked by MCR anti-virus system (http://www.crapsig.com).

Old July 28th 04, 08:52 PM
dino

"Bob Day" wrote in message
"dino" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advise

I have already dusted out and run mem test and reseated the video card and
memory. I have not done anything with the CMOS battery as i did not think
this would effect anything. I will download the program you suggested and
try temp as speed fan tells me

CPU 46 deg C
Motherboard 30 deg C
HD1 41 deg C
HD2 39 deg C

I have left same message on another forum and they suggest video card?

Old July 28th 04, 10:42 PM
MCR

dino wrote:

Snipped

If I remove the sides of the case (both sides) and leave in the middle of
the room with a domestic fan blowing onto the motherboard would this help?

I have tried this with no help.

Currently

CPU 46 deg C
Motherboard 30 deg C
HD1 39 deg C
HD2 40 deg C

Any ideas?

Next thing to try is a memory test... go to

http://www.memtest86.com/

and download the software. Run it and see if it reports any problems,

Also... try setting the memory timings in the BIOS slower... it maybe
your RAM is ok for a slower rating, but is being taxed now.

In addition....

Another factor in my problem (a homebuilt PC) was the fact that my Mobo
(An Asus A7NX Deluxe or something ;-) , was quite 'fussy' with the
memory, and I had to return the RAM a few times.

Checked by MCR anti-virus system (http://www.crapsig.com).
Old July 28th 04, 11:16 PM
Shep©

Thanks for the advise

Advice ;-)

I have already dusted out and run mem test and reseated the video card and
memory. I have not done anything with the CMOS battery as i did not think
this would effect anything. I will download the program you suggested and
try temp as speed fan tells me

CPU 46 deg C
Motherboard 30 deg C
HD1 41 deg C
HD2 39 deg C

I have left same message on another forum and they suggest video card?

If you have 2 ram sticks try each in each slot sperately.Do,"Not"trust
any software RAM tester programs.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old July 30th 04, 08:52 PM
dino

Seems OK at the moment. Dont many many changes. Too many to mension. Last
lot of change that seem to work are slowing down timings as you suggest and
also upping voltage to mobo. After i did both these i hasnt crashed yet
24hrs and counting.

"MCR" wrote in message

Snipped