Am I using the right RAM speed PC2100

Old November 23rd 03, 05:52 PM
T.J. Harry

Default Am I using the right RAM speed PC2100

I am planing to upgrage my computer with Gigabyte Mother Board having the
following specs (relevant part. Request advice reg the memory type/speed
-------------- the spec --------------
GIGABYTE (AMD, Socket A) GA-7VKMP VIA KM266 DDR, Video & Audio,
USB 2.0 ATX MB

GA-7VKMP
VIA ProSavage KM266 AGPset

Socket A for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron 200/266 MHz FSB
Supports AMD Athlon™ XP processor 2200+ and beyond.
Auto-detects CPU voltage
The vendor is going to give me a single 256MB DDRAM PC2100 module. Do I need
PC2600 RAM module to get the optimum performance from the new mother board.

Is PC2100 having a speed of 133 MHz and PC2600 266 MHz.
How does the PCxxxx relate to the mememory speed. Request advice.

Thanks, -Harry
Old November 23rd 03, 06:57 PM
Michael J. Apollyon

Harry,

This should clear it all up for you.

The four digit number after PC represents the memory's data
transfer rate in MB/sec. (3200 = 3.2GB/sec)

PC1600 = DDR200 = 100MHz actual, 200MHz effective
PC2100 = DDR266 = 133MHz actual, 266MHz effective
PC2700 = DDR333 = 166MHz actual, 333MHz effective
PC3200 = DDR400 = 200MHz actual, 400MHz effective

Old November 23rd 03, 08:04 PM
Adrian

That is fine. You can buy faster memory if you intend to upgrade later but
otherwise you are going to pay more for memory speeds you do not need

"T.J. Harry" wrote in message
om...
I am planing to upgrage my computer with Gigabyte Mother Board having the
following specs (relevant part. Request advice reg the memory type/speed
-------------- the spec --------------
GIGABYTE (AMD, Socket A) GA-7VKMP VIA KM266 DDR, Video & Audio,
USB 2.0 ATX MB

GA-7VKMP
VIA ProSavage KM266 AGPset

Socket A for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron 200/266 MHz FSB
Supports AMD AthlonT XP processor 2200+ and beyond.
Auto-detects CPU voltage
The vendor is going to give me a single 256MB DDRAM PC2100 module. Do I

need
PC2600 RAM module to get the optimum performance from the new mother

board.

Is PC2100 having a speed of 133 MHz and PC2600 266 MHz.
How does the PCxxxx relate to the mememory speed. Request advice.

Thanks, -Harry

---

Old November 24th 03, 06:22 PM
T.J. Harry

Michael J. Apollyon,

Thanks, excellent info !!. Did you miss PC2600 or is it
implied in the list provided by you.

I forgot one info. My vendor is going to give me AMD
XP2000MHz processor. So will it be better to use
PC2600 (266 MHz, I guess), for my Gigabyte Motherboard

-Harry
Old November 25th 03, 12:22 AM
DaveW

There is NO such thing as PC2600 RAM. PC2100 DDR RAM runs at 266MHz. It's
what you need. (PC2700 DDR RAM runs at 333 MHz.)

--
DaveW

om...

Old November 29th 03, 02:08 PM
T.J. Harry

Hi Readers, Request Help/Advice

Pl read my earlier postings on the same subject.

What should be the letters/numbers appearing on the memory chips on the
memory modules so that I can make out what I get is a PC2100 chips' module.
--------------
PC1600 = DDR200 = 100MHz actual, 200MHz effective ??????
PC2100 = DDR266 = 133MHz actual, 266MHz effective ??????
PC2700 = DDR333 = 166MHz actual, 333MHz effective ???????
PC3200 = DDR400 = 200MHz actual, 400MHz effective ??????
-----------

-Harry
Old December 1st 03, 03:46 PM
T.J. Harry

Hi Readers

Thanks for your response(s)

It appears I did not make my point clear. I went to a vendor to buy a 128MB
PC2100 module. The module has a few chips soldered on to a (Module)strip.
One Chip has a paper sticker(!) on it reading PC2100. The 2nd chip has a
sticker(!!) reading "warranty void if removed" on the 3rd bare chip I can
manage (very faint) to read ??1600. So I argued that it is a PC1600
128MB module. The vendor maitains that it is a PC2100 module. My question
is, what should be the letter/number appearing on the chip, which indicates
that it is a DDRAM PC2100 chip module. I need a 256 MB module. Is PCxxxx, a
DDRAM or SDRAM.

-Harry, Original Poster
Old December 2nd 03, 03:19 PM
Michael J. Apollyon

Hi again,

AFAIK, there really are no industry standard memory chip or
module markings. You can usually just google the PN, but a
sticker is usually the most you get with generic RAM. You can
read the memory module's SPD with a software utility like
Sandra, CPU-Z, or Aida32. Then run memtest86 at the rated
speed to know for sure.

Personally, I have never seen a PC1600 module and find it
rather unlikely that a reputable vendor would try to pass one
off as a PC2100 module these days.

How to speed up my CPU? MC General 11 December 12th 04 08:11 PM
Dumb thing and mixing PC2100 and PC2700 DDR RAM [long] David W.E. Roberts General 1 August 6th 04 12:18 PM
AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed ÎÔ»¢²ØÁúCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Overclocking AMD Processors 18 May 6th 04 12:14 AM
Synchronize vs. non-synchronize FSB/Memory speed? Ohaya Overclocking AMD Processors 0 March 11th 04 08:11 AM