New System Specs, need memory advice.

Old March 14th 04, 02:04 AM
Tom

Default New System Specs, need memory advice.

I am building a new system and here are the specs u need to know:

Asus P4C800-E
P4 3.0GHZ 800mhz FSB

My question is this MOBO supports up to pc3200 400mhz DDR SDRAM and i was
wondering as i will be trying to overclock this as much as possible using
AIR COOLING. I will be using a Thermalright SP-94 heatpipe Intel CPU
heatsink with a 92MM tornado Fan on top of it.

My real quandry is the memory which i am very confused about and would
really like some tips from you guys. Does it make any difference in
overclocking abuility to use pc4000 400mhz DDR SDRAM over what the mobo
calls for which is pc3200 400mhz DDR SDRAM?

Also any suggestions on 2x512 or 2x 1GB memory that i should use, i am
really looiking into this memory from OCX, but it is very expensive and i am
not sure if it is overkill without water cooling or not. Also any other
tips or CPU's u think will overclock better the a p4 3.0GHZ 880 FSB on the
asus board?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Old March 14th 04, 03:53 AM
Tom

This is the memory i am thinking about buying

http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/p...-id-57164.html

om...

Old March 14th 04, 04:57 AM
dmac

this sounds odd, but due to OC problems with this gigabyte board (2.8 maxes
at 3.15) I went with pc3700. I can run cpu at 223 fsb and ram at 450. a 1:1
puts the ram around 400 approx, but I get higher benchmarks and better all
around performance at the higher ram speeds.
I really got to get an Abit....

--

David MacLeod
Etna, Maine USA