Support from asus? (a bit long)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 11th 05, 03:59 AM
Robert Megee

Default Support from asus? (a bit long)

My system has a P4C800 deluxe mb. I'm running XP-pro with an 120gig
hd and a GeForce 5700 128 agp card. I started out with 2 512mb sticks
of DDR-400 (pc3200) Kingston memory. Shortly after I got this system
up and running, I started having problems. Lock-ups, various crashes
and such. Finally it crashed hard.
Well, I started over. This time I couldn't finish the XP install.
Each time at the end of formatting the drive, it would tell me that
the drive was corrupt.
Good enough, I tried a different hd. Same problem. And I was able to
format and install the original hd on a different system. Conclusion,
it wasn't the harddrive.
A search of the internet hinted at a possible memory problem.
Specifically the dual-channel mode. Well, I pulled one of the sticks
and every thing worked properly. I've since tested this with a more
powerful power supply, and I even sent the memory back to Kingston
to have it tested. (oh, was able to test it myself with memtest and
it ran for 48hours with no errors) I even tried a different video
card. (that is the only add-in card in the system.)
The only thing that hasn't been changed is the motherboard.
I contacted Asus and they gave me a couple of bios settings to try
which didn't help.
I asked Asus to send me a new motherboard (I offered to provide a
credit card for them to charge against till I could get the old one
back)
Since then inspite of 4 follow-up email, I've heard nothing. This has
been several weeks.
I've been reading the advice here and have gotten a couple of new
ideas. (disable legacy usb; install one stick, get it's settings, add
the second stick and set them manually)
But I would still like to know how to get some response from Asus.
Anyone know how?

thanks,
Robert Megee