XP home and dual processors.

Old November 15th 03, 12:34 PM
Thaddeus L Olczyk

Default XP home and dual processors.

I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.
Old November 15th 03, 04:25 PM
MrToad

Thaddeus L Olczyk Ran in the back door and shouted
:

I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

It's true, XP Home is a single CPU solution.
For 2, you'll need XP Pro.

--
MrToad

Old November 15th 03, 04:17 PM
Geoff

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor
you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

Old November 15th 03, 08:32 PM
Martin

"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor

Nonsense. Of course you can have two monitors with XP Home. You just made
that up didn't you?

Martin

you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

Old November 15th 03, 09:12 PM
Geoff

Martin wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor

Nonsense. Of course you can have two monitors with XP Home. You just
made that up didn't you?

Martin

you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

i was qouting what i remember about home from ages ago
come to think i have seeen it do multi monitor

Old November 15th 03, 11:34 PM
JULIAN HALES

"Geoff" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines. Another friend is telling him to avoid it because
XP Home one supports one processor. Is this true?

I'm more of a Linux guy, but I seem to remember that XP Home
was going to support two processors and no more.
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

XP home is limited to 1 cpu
pro does 2 cpu's

basicly home doesn't do multi anything
no multi cpu
no multi monitor

Nonsense. Of course you can have two monitors with XP Home. You just
made that up didn't you?

Martin

you can't add it a domain either, workgroup only

i was qouting what i remember about home from ages ago
come to think i have seeen it do multi monitor

I use multi Mon on 98, best upgrade ever, just add a 2nd pci card and away
ya go, im surprised others dont do it, great for surfing and ebay etc.

Old November 16th 03, 06:45 PM
William W. Plummer

"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines.

You need to look at what he is going to do with the machine. Most home
machines are used for the web, email, Word, Excel, etc. These are all
single thread programs (interrupts are a negligible load). So, more than
one CPU won't make anything faster.

Further, your hard disk is almost always the bottleneck as far as speed
goes -- look at what percent of the time your disk light is on. Multiple
CPUs will make this worse because one CPU will have to sit there tapping its
fingers while the other one is accessing the disk. A faster disk (15,000
RPM from IBM) will minimize the waiting. The right RAID configuration
(striping?) should help. SCSI interface doesn't make the disk turn faster
so it won't help.

Old November 30th 03, 11:50 PM
Ric

William W. Plummer wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
I just recommended to a friend looking to upgrade that he look at
Dual CPU machines.

You need to look at what he is going to do with the machine. Most
home machines are used for the web, email, Word, Excel, etc. These
are all single thread programs (interrupts are a negligible load).
So, more than one CPU won't make anything faster.

Further, your hard disk is almost always the bottleneck as far as
speed goes -- look at what percent of the time your disk light is
on. Multiple CPUs will make this worse because one CPU will have to
sit there tapping its fingers while the other one is accessing the
disk. A faster disk (15,000 RPM from IBM) will minimize the
waiting. The right RAID configuration (striping?) should help.
SCSI interface doesn't make the disk turn faster so it won't help.

well, i think you'll struggle to attach a 15000rpm drive without using SCSI
personally...

Old December 1st 03, 03:04 AM
William W. Plummer

"Ric" wrote in message
William W. Plummer wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
[...]

What does IBM say about their product? How about Western Digital, which
also has a 15,000 RPM EIDE disk.

Old December 1st 03, 03:17 AM
Timothy Drouillard

If anybody actually makes a 15k rpm IDE drive, I would be interested it
their model numbers.

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message

"Ric" wrote in message
William W. Plummer wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
[...]

dual boot ? with raid 0 config? David Ciemny General 6 July 21st 04 12:18 PM
dual cpu v single cpu Mitchua General 12 May 8th 04 06:17 PM
Dual CPU Steve Schooler General 6 March 14th 04 11:53 PM
Valid Points 101: 2x P4 Xeons + Hyperthreading + Windows XP Professional / W2K / NT4 / *Nix (long post!) Duncan, Eric A. General 7 February 3rd 04 06:06 PM
Advice requested for a home built PC Louis General 2 October 30th 03 11:07 AM