When will I *need* a Directx 9 card?

Old November 25th 03, 03:35 PM
Phil-on-a-hill

They show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on BBC ?

How does the portrayal of "Giles", "Spike", and "The Council"
go over, over there?

Don't know what other Brits think about the accents. To me though Spike's
and Dru' are a but much, and that of one of those potential slayers in the
last series, now showing here, is beyond the pale.

That potential Slayer you mentioned - what the hell kind of accent was that
supposed to be anyway? I thought it was an Austrailian one.

Old November 25th 03, 03:48 PM
Mean_Chlorine

Darthy wrote in message . ..

Not a lot - Halo isn't a game with particularly impressive graphics to
begin with, not least because it was designed to run on a GF4MX core
machine (XBox). It doesn't matter what hardware you throw at that
game, it'll never look terribly impressive.

XBox uses a GF3 core... not a GF2 core like the labled 4mx.

Not AFAIK; you can tell by e.g. the way water looks in Morrowind that
it's got no pixel shaders, and GF3 had pixel shaders.
Old November 25th 03, 04:21 PM
Lynley James

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:35:46 -0000, "Derek Baker"
wrote:

"Lynley James" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:53:59 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
wrote:

They show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on BBC ?

How does the portrayal of "Giles", "Spike", and "The Council"
go over, over there?

Luck;
Ken

IIRC, it's on Sky or some other satellite or cable channel.

Not sure how it goes down though.

Lynley

Actually BBC 2 show it after a certain delay.

Don't know what other Brits think about the accents. To me though Spike's
and Dru' are a but much, and that of one of those potential slayers in the
last series, now showing here, is beyond the pale.

They do? I always thought that Sky and cable providers were the only
ones who bought American shows.

Lynley
Old November 25th 03, 06:37 PM
Mark Morrison

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:35:50 -0000, "Phil-on-a-hill"
wrote:

They show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on BBC ?

How does the portrayal of "Giles", "Spike", and "The Council"
go over, over there?

Don't know what other Brits think about the accents. To me though Spike's
and Dru' are a but much, and that of one of those potential slayers in the
last series, now showing here, is beyond the pale.

That potential Slayer you mentioned - what the hell kind of accent was that
supposed to be anyway? I thought it was an Austrailian one.

I *think* it was supposed to be aCockney (London) accent, as done by
someone whose only exposure to the accent was watching Mary Poppins as
a child.

And what's with all the carrots ?
Old November 25th 03, 07:01 PM
Derek Baker

wrote:

They show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on BBC ?

How does the portrayal of "Giles", "Spike", and "The Council"
go over, over there?

Don't know what other Brits think about the accents. To me though

Spike's
and Dru' are a but much, and that of one of those potential slayers in

the
last series, now showing here, is beyond the pale.

That potential Slayer you mentioned - what the hell kind of accent was

that
supposed to be anyway? I thought it was an Austrailian one.

I *think* it was supposed to be aCockney (London) accent, as done by
someone whose only exposure to the accent was watching Mary Poppins as
a child.

Definitely a bit of Dick Van Dykeness about it.

--
Derek

Old November 25th 03, 07:54 PM
Lynley James

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:01:28 +0000, Mark Morrison
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:01:53 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:12:49 +0000, Mark Morrison
wrote:
The jump from a GeForce 2 to a GeForce 3 or higher is quite a big one
- significantly faster, more memory, T & L in hardware.

I bought a GeForce 3 Ti not long after they came out (I had a GeForce
256 at the time, IIRC) and it was a huge step up.

A GF4 is a bigger step above a GF3, but overall, 3~4 are the same
family.

My next card will be at least a GeForce 5 (or whatever brand name they
gave it) but that won't be for a good long while. The DE2 demo ran
fine, and looked lovely. Along with Thief 3, this is the most
graphically intensive game I'm looking forward to.

??? The GeForce 5 has been shipping since last Spring. They're called
5200 / 5600 / 5700 / 5800 / 5900. The GeForce 4 was called "4mx /
4Ti" - but only the "4Ti" were true GF4 cards.

No, the GeForce 5 had a brand name - Power FX ? GeForce Power ?
Sothing like that. I'm not talking about the generation of cards,
just what they were called.

They renamed the fifth generation to GeForce FX and then the
individual models were numbered from 5200 up. The 5200 is basically
the MX version of the card and the 5900 is the top of the range card.

Lynley
Old November 25th 03, 09:30 PM
Mark Morrison

wrote:
[...]

That's the one ! GeForce FX.

Anyway, my next card will probably be a 256mb FX, at least, but that's
some way off.

Half-Life 2, perhaps, depending upon how it runs on my system.

Problem is, I'll probably have to get a new CPU and motherboard at the
same time, as my 2000 Athlon would really push a FX to full capacity.

And what's with all the carrots ?
Old November 25th 03, 09:51 PM
Lynley James

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:30:40 +0000, Mark Morrison
wrote:

That's the one ! GeForce FX.

Anyway, my next card will probably be a 256mb FX, at least, but that's
some way off.

Half-Life 2, perhaps, depending upon how it runs on my system.

Problem is, I'll probably have to get a new CPU and motherboard at the
same time, as my 2000 Athlon would really push a FX to full capacity.

From what I have read you may be better off with an ATI card. The
FX's aren't such a great leap over the GF4's, at least up to the
5800's. Shop around first, I know that ATI have fixed the driver
support problems they used to have and I know a couple of nVidia fans
who have switched to Radeon's.

Lynley
Old November 25th 03, 11:02 PM
Darthy

wrote:
[...]

Errr.... With all these posts you can't figure out that they're called
"FX" and that they are are "GeForce 5", thats why they are 5x00 in
their model names.

They added the FX tag - Whoopie.

My handle is Darthy.... if I put FX-Darthy, I'd still be the same
poster. (unless someone pretends to be me).

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old November 25th 03, 11:24 PM
Mark Morrison

wrote:

That's the one ! GeForce FX.

Anyway, my next card will probably be a 256mb FX, at least, but that's
some way off.

Half-Life 2, perhaps, depending upon how it runs on my system.

Problem is, I'll probably have to get a new CPU and motherboard at the
same time, as my 2000 Athlon would really push a FX to full capacity.

From what I have read you may be better off with an ATI card. The
FX's aren't such a great leap over the GF4's, at least up to the
5800's. Shop around first, I know that ATI have fixed the driver
support problems they used to have and I know a couple of nVidia fans
who have switched to Radeon's.

I have a GF 3 atm, so going to a GF 5 will be a big enough leap, I
think.

And what's with all the carrots ?