P4C800-E: problem with a CD-RW/DVD combo optical drive?

Old May 27th 04, 02:10 AM
no spam

Default P4C800-E: problem with a CD-RW/DVD combo optical drive?

Hi Everyone.

I am not sure at all this is a motherboard problem, but my LG GCC-4320B
combo drive has a problem as it will NOT read a DVD-ROM disc. It probably is
a problem with the drive but I would like to make sure before ditching it.
After I insert a DVD-ROM disc in the drive, the drive activity LED flashes
for about 13 seconds and then stops - nothing happens after that. No
problems reported by win XP pro in the device manager.

However the drive has NO problems reading a CD or CD-ROM, or burning a
CD-R . It was the first time I was attempting to read a DVD-ROM disc since
installing this motherboard 5 months ago. I know the drive was OK before
that as I had read the same DVD-ROM disc with the same drive on my previous
motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7VTX/athlon Tbird 1.333/266). Also, I did a
cleanup of the drive lens, although there was no dirt visible, but with no
results.

On the P4C800-E though, I observed something strange in the BIOS boot
messages: in IDE autodetect messages I get:

PRIMARY MASTER: ...(everything seems OK)
SECONDARY MASTER: ATAPI CD-ROM ... DMA MODE: off ... PIO MODE: 0

although, inside the BIOS SETUP UTILITY, looking at the configuration of the
SECONDARY MASTER IDE device (the CD drive), I see (for the non-changeable
parameters):

DEVICE: ATAPI CD-ROM
VENDOR: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B
LBA MODE: supported
PIO MODE: 4
ASYNC DMA: multiword DMA-2
ULTRA DMA: ultra DMA-2

For the changeable parameters (PIO, DMA), I have them set up both to AUTO.
During the boot the PIO MODE gets changed from 4 to 0 and the DMA from 2 to
off??? Could that be related to the problem?

So, to make a long story short, could any of you (owning a P4C800-E) tell me
what you see during the boot of your machine (SYSTEM CONFIGURATION,
AMIBIOS... panel) for the parameters of your CD-ROM, CD-RW or DVD-rom drive.

Thanks to all in advance.

p.s.: the drive jumper is configured as CS (cable select).