Xpress Recovery2 problem

Old June 24th 09, 01:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
James

Default Xpress Recovery2 problem

I did this backup when I first installed Vista with all of the drivers &
updates installed. I booted from the mb disk, backed up, and all went
fine...or so it appeared. Today I decided to test it by hitting "F9" while
in the POST screen. Nothing happened. Tried it again, and again. F9 does
nothing. The manual says I don't need to use the boot disk after I back up
the system. When I look in the disk manager, the backup is there. But F9
still does nothing. What am I missing here?

Old June 24th 09, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

James wrote:
I did this backup when I first installed Vista with all of the drivers &
updates installed. I booted from the mb disk, backed up, and all went
fine...or so it appeared. Today I decided to test it by hitting "F9"
while in the POST screen. Nothing happened. Tried it again, and again.
F9 does nothing. The manual says I don't need to use the boot disk after
I back up the system. When I look in the disk manager, the backup is
there. But F9 still does nothing. What am I missing here?

From the manual

* Hard drives in RAID/AHCI mode are not supported.

What mode did you use for the hard drive ?

HTH,
Paul
Old June 24th 09, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
James

"Paul" wrote in message

From the manual

* Hard drives in RAID/AHCI mode are not supported.

What mode did you use for the hard drive ?

HTH,
Paul

Not running RAID/AHCI. I'm running a single drive in IDE native mode.
Old June 24th 09, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

James wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
From the manual

* Hard drives in RAID/AHCI mode are not supported.

What mode did you use for the hard drive ?

HTH,
Paul

Not running RAID/AHCI. I'm running a single drive in IDE native mode.

Have you checked, that the partition in question was created ?
The manual, shows a couple screen shots of "Disk Management"
in Windows, where a new partition has been created up near
the end of the hard drive.

Also, is F9 offered as an option, at the bottom of the screen ?

The manual mentions these options at the bottom of the screen.

DEL BIOS Setup F9 XpressRecovery2 F12 BootMenu End QFLash

Paul

Old June 24th 09, 04:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
david

"Paul" wrote in message:

Have you checked, that the partition in question was created ?
The manual, shows a couple screen shots of "Disk Management"
in Windows, where a new partition has been created up near
the end of the hard drive.

Also, is F9 offered as an option, at the bottom of the screen ?

The manual mentions these options at the bottom of the screen.

DEL BIOS Setup F9 XpressRecovery2 F12 BootMenu End QFLash

Paul

Hi Paul. I appreciate your help here. Disk Manager showed the newly created
partition among the unallocated space. If I remember correctly, it was a
"healthy" 40GB. And there is still an additional 40GB of unallocated space
besides the partition created by Xpress Recovery2. So I left enough space on
the drive. Also, the backup stated that it completed successfully. Is the a
log somewhere that I might be able to look at?

Also, the line you show above is exactly how it appears at the bottom of my
POST screen. And everything else works except F9.

Old June 24th 09, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
david

Sorry for the confusion Paul.. I am using my son David's laptop right now. I
forgot about the identity thing. But the post above is from me, James.

Old June 24th 09, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

David wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message:

[...]

Well, I'm running out of things to suggest.

Is it possible there is a difference in response, between
using a PS/2 keyboard, versus a USB keyboard ?

Does the F12 boot menu work ? That would help prove the
Fn keys work at the BIOS level.

It might be interesting, to plug in a PCI Port 80 POST
debugger card, just to see if there is any response
noted on the display, when F9 is pressed. That might
tell you, if the key was actually routed to a BIOS
code module or not.

I can find one report here, of someone trying Xpress
Recovery2 on another board. And they got it to work.

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...4?dmode=source

I tried looking for motherboard reviews, but all I
could find is reviews making derogatory references
to the feature, and not bothering to test it.

Paul
Old June 24th 09, 09:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Gorby[_2_]

Paul wrote:
David wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message:

[...]

Good idea regarding the function keys! Do you have a Microsoft keyboard
that has an "F Lock" key? This allows the keyboard to redefine the
function keys to do certain standard functions.

When you boot a PC with this type of keyboard it resets the function
keys to Microsoft functions. You must quickly press the "F Lock" key to
activate the normal function keys.

A trap for young players! I first noticed it when I tried to get into
the advanced overclocking features in the BIOS. The Control F1 didn't
work. After pressing the "F Lock" key it all worked OK.
Old June 24th 09, 10:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
James

"Paul" wrote in message:

Well, I'm running out of things to suggest.

Is it possible there is a difference in response, between
using a PS/2 keyboard, versus a USB keyboard ?

Does the F12 boot menu work ? That would help prove the
Fn keys work at the BIOS level.

It might be interesting, to plug in a PCI Port 80 POST
debugger card, just to see if there is any response
noted on the display, when F9 is pressed. That might
tell you, if the key was actually routed to a BIOS
code module or not.

I can find one report here, of someone trying Xpress
Recovery2 on another board. And they got it to work.

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...4?dmode=source

I tried looking for motherboard reviews, but all I
could find is reviews making derogatory references
to the feature, and not bothering to test it.

The system does respond to the F12 key and brings up the boot menu. However,
I don't have a port 80 POST card to try. But I did find that if I boot from
the motherboard cd, ALL of the options are present including [restore].
Whereas only the [backup] was available before I used the Xpress Recovery2
utility. So I'm more confident now that it should work if I need it anyway.
I just need to be careful not to misplace the cd. ;c)

James