What size PSU

Old February 26th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Default What size PSU

TheBoffin wrote:
I'm considering getting something like this

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?MBB-P5NQ66

Into i'll plug my ASUS EN8800GTX, a DVD RW drive, and 4 SATAII HDD's

I already have a rather nice 480watt PSU to hand if it'll be enough for
all that.

.. so the question is what size PSU would you stick in the case? (I
guess i'm expecting a few to say as BIG as possible!!) ;-)

Boff.

620-650w at 75% efficiency from a decent brand (Corsair comes to mind).
Also note that the wattage label is only the maximum draw you can put
on that PSU, it doesn't mean that's how much power it draws constantly.
So getting a smaller PSU is only a good idea if it's more efficient
(80%+) and can supply enough amperage continuously, not just a peak.

I have seen people running 8800GTX's on lower PSU's, but usually those
folks KNOW what they're doing and if they have a 550w or even a 450w in
one instance, it's due to their particular knowledge of the power supply
and requirements like a silent PC/PSU or HTPC setup.

To account for the widely varying quality of power supplies, the larger
wattage is often recommended.
Old February 26th 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

TheBoffin wrote:
DaveW wrote:
You would be far better off with that many power drawing components to
seriously consider a 650 Watt PSU. If you overtax a PSU because it is
underpowered you risk frying your computer.

Frying? is that what honestly happens ... I'd have just thought it
would be about as stable as a ZX81 with a RAMPAC velcro'd in ;-)

So just to get it into context for me; if a PSU is underpowered and you
load it up - say maybe launch UT3 ;-) ... are we talking burnout MB /
CPU / RAM ... large plume of smoke as the house burns down ???

(not that i'm going to risk it anyhow - i've already come to the
decision the a larger PSU is required)

Boff.

Yes, in fact a review on HardOCP just had that happen, the PSU was
falsely rated too high and when under half it's rated load it fried.
Old February 26th 08, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

deimos wrote:
TheBoffin wrote:
[...]

Thanks Deimos, i'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting a larger PSU
now.

Boff
Old February 26th 08, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

TheBoffin wrote:
Paul wrote:

This supply has two 2x3 connectors, and a generous 12V output. It
is 7.1" deep and perhaps a bit longer than your existing supply.

Silencer 610W £70.41 inc vat 83% efficient, 0.99 PFC.
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4RVF
http://www.pcpower.com/downloads/specs_3825.pdf

Nice looking PSU, sounds the business

How's this one compare do you think? ThermalTake ToughPower Series Cable
Management 750W active @ £77.55 inc vat
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s....html?TT-W0116

I'll probably be getting all my kit from Novatech as these guys are just
down the road from me; used them loads before - quite happy with them.

Boff

While this part number (W0116RU), is not exactly the same, it'll give you some
reviews to look at.

A review here for W0116RU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...p=Story&reid=7

"nowhere on the label does it say the capability of the combined 12V rails"

"Total combined +12V output load not exceed 60A"

Your total is 8.8 + 15 = about 24A, so not even close. The test results
for the supply, look like it is capable of closer to 12V @ 48A, which
is still plenty (double) what you need.

The supply is made by ChannelWell (CWT), who also make supplies for
Antec. Efficiency during Test 3 of the review, was 82%, to give you
an idea of how well it did.

There is a review for the Silencer 610W here. This guy's style is a bit
different, but the review is informative.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/503

Paul
Old February 27th 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

Paul wrote:
While this part number (W0116RU), is not exactly the same, it'll give
you some
reviews to look at.

A review here for W0116RU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...p=Story&reid=7

"nowhere on the label does it say the capability of the combined 12V
rails"

"Total combined +12V output load not exceed 60A"

Your total is 8.8 + 15 = about 24A, so not even close. The test results
for the supply, look like it is capable of closer to 12V @ 48A, which
is still plenty (double) what you need.

The supply is made by ChannelWell (CWT), who also make supplies for
Antec. Efficiency during Test 3 of the review, was 82%, to give you
an idea of how well it did.

Many thanks Paul, I guess there'll be plenty of scope for dropping in
some more SATA drives should I need to if I go for the TT-W0116 ;-)
Can't see me wanting to SLI the 8800GTX with another one ... but you
never know ;-) I do have a 7950GT sat around I could in theory bang
in there and hang another couple of monitors off the machine ... but I
think i'll need a bigger desk!!

Thanks for your help Paul, where do I send the virtual beer! ;-)

Boff.
Old February 27th 08, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

--
--DaveW"TheBoffin" wrote in message

I'm considering getting something like this

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?MBB-P5NQ66

Into i'll plug my ASUS EN8800GTX, *a DVD RW drive, and 4 SATAII HDD's

I already have a rather nice 480watt PSU to hand if it'll be enough for
all that.

.. so the question is what size PSU would you stick in the case? *(I guess
i'm expecting a few to say as BIG as possible!!) ;-)

Boff.- Hide quoted text -

Go for quality ..
Coolemaster Real Power 1000W or Termatake Tough Power 1200W

Cheers,
JAN
Old March 3rd 08, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

I'd just like to say thanks to all those who offered advice on getting
this new setup together.

It's all working great ;-) thanks

Now to just sort out my vista activation that doesn't want to let me
activate because that key is in use on my now defunct PC.
Old March 3rd 08, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
peter

There is a phone number that shows up during the activation
process............toll free....long wait.
peter

Old March 3rd 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TheBoffin

peter wrote:
There is a phone number that shows up during the activation
process............toll free....long wait.
peter

Yeah just been through that process .. got put through to an operator,
who first asked me if I was activating XP ... doh ... then I had to
re-iterate twice to him why I was re-installing ... felt very much like
a criminal ... anyhow, all activated now ;-)

Boff.

RAM size Davy General 1 March 26th 07 04:26 PM
size of physical memory is given by size of address registers in CPU or size of address bus?? Arunaabh Intel 4 May 6th 06 06:05 PM
buffer size on HDs does size matter? John Doe Storage (alternative) 14 December 6th 05 02:38 AM
buffer size on HDs does size matter? Pdigmking Homebuilt PC's 20 December 6th 05 02:38 AM
Size Ccrlyles Gateway Computers 7 August 31st 04 06:58 AM