GA 7VN400 pro2 with xp2800 cpu temp?

Old December 28th 03, 02:37 PM
Chris Polhill

Default GA 7VN400 pro2 with xp2800 cpu temp?

Hi
I've just replaced my GA V7AXP after a component blew.
I now have...
GA 7VN400 pro2
AthlonXP 2800+
2* Kingmax DDR400 256 sticks running on the dual channel DDR mode
Asus V7700 Ti Deluxe AGP 4X
40GB IBM C:\
160GB Samsung Spinpoint
Pioneer DVD ROM
TDK CD Writer

I'm a bit concerned about my CPU temperature.... my old copper heat-pipe
coolermaster would not fit on the new mobo because ov vertical electrolitic
capacitors were in the way. The local shop sold me a generic aluminium
cooler by EZ Cool. The running temp for CPU was 64 at rest. In an attempt
to lower this, I bought a CoolerMaster AERO 7 LITE cp5-8j71f. At max speed,
the temp is down to 54 but it's so noisy it sound like it's about to take
off. At min speed, the noise is bearable, but the temp is now 60 ish. The
AMD site quotes a max die temp for this CPU as 85 so the question is, is my
concern a bit of paranoia or even complete ********?
Anyone with a similar setup care to share their CPU temp?

Old December 28th 03, 07:05 PM
STUART

I Have the same board as you, using the areo 7, Speed of fan is
29600rpm and temp is 49c

Old December 28th 03, 07:08 PM
Stuart

I Have the same board & cpu with Areo 7, fan speed 29600 and Temp 49c

Old December 29th 03, 01:20 AM
Malcolm Robinson

Hello Chris,

Athlon CPU's are always a problem in keeping cool, but to some extent as you
say we all get a bit paranoid about it.

There is no point in reducing the temp by a couple of degrees if you are
sitting next to a wind tunnel and cant hear yourself think.

There is an option in the BIOS to set CPU Smart Fan Control, which will
reduce the speed and noise from your heatsink fan, but this only kicks in at
temps below 40 degrees.

Considering all the following will help in reducing the temperature of your
CPU:-

1. Computer in a reasonable enviroment in order not to be drawing in hot air
to start with. i.e. not next to a radiator or other heat source.
2. A PSU with a bottom intake extractor fan located in the immediate area of
the CPU.
3. Arctic Silver applied to the contact surface of the heatsink/CPU and not
the thermal grease that tends to be supplied with most heatsinks.
4. An extractor fan fitted to the rear of your Computer Case and an intake
fan fitted to the front, although it's the extractor fan that's the most
use.
5. A full tower case rather than a midi or mini case where air has more room
to circulate.
6. Cables as much as possible not restricting air flow in the case and as
much space as possible left around the CPU. Serial ATA (SATA) drives can
help with this if you ever upgrade as the cables take up a lot less space.
7. Don't be tempted to overclock your system as this will increase
temperature.
8. Set the CPU temperature warning in the BIOS to 60 degrees if you are
concerned, specifically as temperature is bound to rise when running heavy
duty applications.
9. Try out software cooling applications such as CPU Idle and Motherboard
monitor to see if any improvement is made.
10. Dont worry, most Athlons will run quite happy at temps even in the 70's
and the price of CPU's are dropping all the time, so it's not a big deal to
replace in a couple of years if needed.
11. Check out the range of Globalwin super silent copper Heatsinks that only
run at about 25Db, these are priced at around £25 but judge it against the
price of your CPU which is now around £100 and in three months will be down
to less than £70 to see if it's worth the investment. Always make sure that
the heatsink will be capable of taking a faster CPU should you decide to
upgrade to a faster model at some time.

I hope some of these ideas help and will reduce things a bit, I would also
as the 60's in my mind is a bit to hot for comfort. My PC never gets above
the mid 40's even when under a full load.

Old December 29th 03, 01:57 AM
SteveH

"STUART" wrote in message
I Have the same board as you, using the areo 7, Speed of fan is
29600rpm and temp is 49c

29600rpm, you must be able to hear it in neighbouring countries!!!

SteveH

Old December 29th 03, 02:03 AM
SteveH

[...]

Hi,
I've got an XP2800+ on a GA7-NNXP. Idles at 49 and gets as high as 66c when
pushed hard. That max temp has never been a problem.
And it's only running with some cheap Akasa HSF, with a pretty blue lighted
fan on it (and not too noisy either).
I have got the big Zalman flower all copper jobbie knocking about here
somewhere, but I can't be assed to take the other one off just to see if it
will make a degree or two difference, can't imagine it would though.

SteveH

Old December 29th 03, 06:31 AM
Stuart

Should read 2960rpm

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:57:39 GMT, "SteveH"
wrote:

.. .

Old January 4th 04, 02:46 AM
Joe's Bar&Grill

I didn't want to part with my Antec airflow when I found it slightly too big
to get in.....You think gigabyte would have seen this????
So I filed down the rear corner...and the hs and fan now fits in nicely.
Temps are 48c/53c
Joe