advice for budget card

Old August 28th 06, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

Default advice for budget card

Can anyone suggest a budget video card that supports pixel shader 1.1?
I only need it for one game, as I am not a big gamer (at all).

Therefore I don't need a superstar card. Just a budget option.

Thanks in advance!~

Old August 28th 06, 05:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
SpamBox

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone suggest a budget video card that supports pixel shader 1.1?
I only need it for one game, as I am not a big gamer (at all).

Therefore I don't need a superstar card. Just a budget option.

Thanks in advance!~

How much have you got to spend? Give the NG an idea and I'm sure plenty of
people will offer their advice.

Old August 28th 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

SpamBox wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone suggest a budget video card that supports pixel shader 1.1?
I only need it for one game, as I am not a big gamer (at all).

Therefore I don't need a superstar card. Just a budget option.

Thanks in advance!~

How much have you got to spend? Give the NG an idea and I'm sure plenty of
people will offer their advice.

To be totally honest with you, I am a real Luddite and I don't even
know how much these things cost. I mean, I see some online for $300 and
I was definitely not wanting to spend that much.

I was hoping to spend under $100. I have no idea if that's reasonable
or not. Since I really am not a gamer, the cheaper the better.

I also do not know if eBay is a respectable option (i.e. how risky is
it with these things? Are they delicate?).

Old August 28th 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
T Shadow

wrote in message
ups.com...

Can anyone suggest a budget video card that supports pixel shader 1.1?
I only need it for one game, as I am not a big gamer (at all).

Therefore I don't need a superstar card. Just a budget option.

Thanks in advance!~

To be totally honest with you, I am a real Luddite and I don't even
know how much these things cost. I mean, I see some online for $300 and
I was definitely not wanting to spend that much.

I was hoping to spend under $100. I have no idea if that's reasonable
or not. Since I really am not a gamer, the cheaper the better.

The ATI website has a compare page that probably shows what your asking.
Just start with the older cards and work your way up.

Old August 28th 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
SpamBox

wrote in message
ups.com...

SpamBox wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone suggest a budget video card that supports pixel shader 1.1?
I only need it for one game, as I am not a big gamer (at all).

Therefore I don't need a superstar card. Just a budget option.

Thanks in advance!~

How much have you got to spend? Give the NG an idea and I'm sure plenty
of
people will offer their advice.

To be totally honest with you, I am a real Luddite and I don't even
know how much these things cost. I mean, I see some online for $300 and
I was definitely not wanting to spend that much.

I was hoping to spend under $100. I have no idea if that's reasonable
or not. Since I really am not a gamer, the cheaper the better.

I also do not know if eBay is a respectable option (i.e. how risky is
it with these things? Are they delicate?).

OK. Next questions: -

What game is it you play?

What card do you have at the moment?

Any preference as to chipset - ATI/Nvidia?

Do you need and PCI/AGP/PCI-E card? If you are not sure do you know what
motherboard you have? If you do not know what motherboard you have, do you
know the make/model of your PC?

As for eBay, a viable option but for the difference in cost I would rather
buy from a reputable on-line store and know that I am getting a brand-new
working card that hasn't been overclocked etc.

Glenn

Old August 29th 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

SpamBox wrote:
wrote in message
[snip]

OK. Next questions: -

What game is it you play?

Nothing, at the moment! That's the problem! The game I bought is Black
& White 2. I stupidly neglected to look at the system requirements,
assuming my computer would be fine. I do not play any other games like
that.

What card do you have at the moment?

Evidently, I have an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Any preference as to chipset - ATI/Nvidia?

None. Both were mentioned in the readme file of the game. I just want
it to be at least as good as what I have now, and hopefully support
Pixel Shader 1.1 (whatever that is).

Do you need and PCI/AGP/PCI-E card? If you are not sure do you know what
motherboard you have? If you do not know what motherboard you have, do you
know the make/model of your PC?

I don't know the answer to the first two....I even tried to figure out
what kind of motherboard I had, but I couldn't. The brilliant online
tech support couldn't tell me, either. Which does make me feel somewhat
better.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1000V.

As for eBay, a viable option but for the difference in cost I would rather
buy from a reputable on-line store and know that I am getting a brand-new
working card that hasn't been overclocked etc.

OK, yeah. I figured that could be the case. I just don't want to spend
tons. As you can tell, I am not a real technophile and won't be gaming
a lot.

Glenn

Old August 29th 06, 03:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
BMonroe(nospam)

It's possible to get a good video card (new) for about $100, and there
are lots of good ones for under $200.

You say that you have an Intel 82845 currently ... that is an Intel 845
chipset with built-in chipset video. That is an AGP chipset. However,
some motherboards with that chipset and chipset video don't have an AGP
socket for adding a video card. E.g. your only choice if the chipset
video is inadequate is a new motherboard (effectively a new computer).
You have to resolve that first, because it is so fundamental.

There was a superb review recently on the best video cards at price
points from under $100 to over $400. When I get home, I'll try to find
it. The best low end card was a card based on the ATI X1300, although
the card was not built by ATI. It was under $100.

Old August 29th 06, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
JKBK

If it`s this one then it looks like intergrated graphics with no Agp slot.
Big problem with the Compaq`s and HP`s. No real modern videocard solution
that I know of as pci has been dead for a while.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...e =c00163403#

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 29th 06, 06:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

JKBK wrote:
If it`s this one then it looks like intergrated graphics with no Agp slot.
Big problem with the Compaq`s and HP`s. No real modern videocard solution
that I know of as pci has been dead for a while.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...e =c00163403#

So in that case, there is no way to play the game on this particular
computer?

Hrm, what a bummer. And surprising, too, that a computer that is only a
couple years old is already too archaic to play a contemporary game on.
I guess that's what you don't know if you're not a gamer! :'-(

Old August 29th 06, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

BMonroe(nospam) wrote:
It's possible to get a good video card (new) for about $100, and there
are lots of good ones for under $200.

You say that you have an Intel 82845 currently ... that is an Intel 845
chipset with built-in chipset video. That is an AGP chipset. However,
some motherboards with that chipset and chipset video don't have an AGP
socket for adding a video card. E.g. your only choice if the chipset
video is inadequate is a new motherboard (effectively a new computer).
You have to resolve that first, because it is so fundamental.

OK, so I found some stuff out from tech support. I realize this is very
pedestrian, but could you all read over this conversation and tell me
if you can see a possible solution to my problem?: