GA 7N400L Cooling Problem

Old March 22nd 05, 07:30 PM
Brian_dorling

Default GA 7N400L Cooling Problem

Hi,
I am running the above borard with an Athlon XP 2600+, the CPU is not
overclocked. I was running an artic cooling CPU fan that was letting the
CPU get too hot. MBM5 and the BIOS Health display show a CPU temp of up
to 65° in Win98, even when not doing anything. The Case temp will show
up to 48° too. I have added a case fan which blows cool air directly
towards the CPU cooler, and even cut some holes in the roof of the case
to let any hot air vent.
Even when the CPU was getting up to those temps, the CPU fan did not
appear to run any faster, all speed measurments on the fan were always
about the same RPM number.

Today I added an Aerocool HT101 JR heatsink and cooler, this keeps the
CPU around 5° cooler than before, but it still seems very hot to me.
CPU voltage is around 1.7v, so I am a bit stuck about what I should do next.

Seems like my BIOS does not offer any features that allow the fan to be
controlled.

I have added round IDE cables to that the airflow is good within the case.

Is the temp. too high, what else can I try? Ideas anyone?

Cheers Brian

Old March 23rd 05, 05:02 AM
jpsga

"Brian_dorling" wrote in message
[...]

Gee Brian .. that case temp of 48° C is high. That is going to keep the CPU
high also. You didn't mention any fans in the case front pulling room air in
I think I would look into getting the case temp about 15° higher that room
temp.
What happens to the CPU temp. when the side panel is off?
JPS

Old March 23rd 05, 09:13 AM
Brian_dorling

jpsga wrote:
[...]

JPS,
yeah I thought that case temp was too high, considering that room temp
is around 20° now, but summer is coming.......
Yesterday evening I installed a new Pabst 80mm fan to pull air out of
the case, that has moved the case temp down to around 37-39°, which is
nearer to what you suggested would be "normal". Strange thing is, it did
not affect the CPU temp one bit.

Removing the case side cover has not affected the Case temp at all
(strange), but the CPU temp is down to 55-56°.

Cheers Brian

Old March 23rd 05, 04:33 PM
John Eckart

"Brian_dorling" wrote in message =
jpsga wrote:
"Brian_dorling" wrote in message=20
=20
Hi,
I am running the above borard with an Athlon XP 2600+, the CPU is not =

overclocked. I was running an artic cooling CPU fan that was letting =

the=20
CPU get too hot. MBM5 and the BIOS Health display show a CPU temp of =

up to=20
65=B0 in Win98, even when not doing anything. The Case temp will show =

up to=20
48=B0 too. I have added a case fan which blows cool air directly =

towards the=20
CPU cooler, and even cut some holes in the roof of the case to let =

any hot=20
air vent.
Even when the CPU was getting up to those temps, the CPU fan did not=20
appear to run any faster, all speed measurments on the fan were =

always=20
about the same RPM number.

Today I added an Aerocool HT101 JR heatsink and cooler, this keeps =

the CPU=20
around 5=B0 cooler than before, but it still seems very hot to me.
CPU voltage is around 1.7v, so I am a bit stuck about what I should =

do=20
next.

Seems like my BIOS does not offer any features that allow the fan to =

be=20
controlled.

I have added round IDE cables to that the airflow is good within the =

case.

Is the temp. too high, what else can I try? Ideas anyone?

Cheers Brian

=20
Gee Brian .. that case temp of 48=B0 C is high. That is going to keep =

the CPU=20
high also. You didn't mention any fans in the case front pulling room =

air in=20
I think I would look into getting the case temp about 15=B0 higher =

that room=20
temp.
What happens to the CPU temp. when the side panel is off?
JPS
=20
=20
=20

JPS,
yeah I thought that case temp was too high, considering that room temp =

is around 20=B0 now, but summer is coming.......
Yesterday evening I installed a new Pabst 80mm fan to pull air out of=20
the case, that has moved the case temp down to around 37-39=B0, which =

is=20
nearer to what you suggested would be "normal". Strange thing is, it =

did=20
not affect the CPU temp one bit.
=20
Removing the case side cover has not affected the Case temp at all=20
(strange), but the CPU temp is down to 55-56=B0.
=20
Cheers Brian

Removing the side cover could lower or raise the temperature depending =
on the environment.
Try aiming a room fan toward the open case and see if it lowers the =
temp.
One thing that may help is running thermally controlled case fans, two =
exhaust fans in the rear of the case, two intake fans in the front.
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetai...ProdID=3D75008
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetai...ProdID=3D75013
Old March 23rd 05, 07:08 PM
Brian_dorling

jpsga wrote:

[...]

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75008
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75013

John,

well I think that would help the case temp, but running with the case
side (and top) off seems to be making very little difference to the
actual CPU temp. It just seems like 55°+ is very hot for a CPU that is
doing nothing. Having said that, I am running Win98, any recommendations
for utilities that can cool the CPU down there when it is idling?

Using MBM5 I can see that my CPU core voltage seems to be between 1.71
and 1.73 Volts, having looked at the datasheets from AMD, this CPU
(barton) should have a core voltage of 1.65 Volts. I guess that would
cause a CPU to run hotter than it should.

Cheers Brian

Old March 25th 05, 02:41 PM
Brian_dorling

jpsga wrote:

[...]

well it seems like I have solved the problem :-)
I totally cut away the metal (which had holes in) where the case fan was
blowing the air out of the case. Now I am down to around 51° CPU temp
when idle. Case temp is around 32°. I also fitted a grille in front of
the harddrive instead of just a blank cover to cover up the 5 1/4 drive
bay. So now the cool air being drawn into the case (because so much is
now being blown out) is flowing around the harddrive too.

Cheers Brian