ASUS Rampage Formule: BIOS 0803 not ok?

Old March 3rd 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Patrick Vervoorn

Default ASUS Rampage Formule: BIOS 0803 not ok?

Hi there,

I recently upgraded the BIOS of my ASUS Rampage Formule (with a Q6600
and 2 x 2GB of Kingston DDR2-800 RAM installed) to 0803, using the
built-in EZ-Flash 2 (I've upgraded the bios before using this function).
Things looked to work ok, but after rebooting, I noticed some weird
things:

- The Front Side Bus was running at 133 MHz, and whatever I did, I
could not get it back up to 266. Googling around, people indicated
Intel Speedstep did this, but disabling that didn't fix anything.
I finally got the FSB running at 266MHz again by manually setting it
to 266 using the 'Extreme Tweaker' tab in the BIOS.

- The effect of the above was that during boot up (before manually
inserting the 266), the clock speed of the Q6600 was reported as 1.20
GHz. Same info was displayed in the BIOS, by Everesst, and by CPU-Z,
and even running SetiBOINC on all 4 cores, would not bump the speed
back up to 2.4GHz (so another indication Intel Speedstep was not
involved)

- Rebooting the machine (using WinXP's Restart) would sometimes halt
the machine during the reboot phase, where it would just hang. When
pressing the reset button, the machine would boot up again, and look
to restart ok. However, during the most recent reboot this way, and
again pressing the reset button, the machine came up, running at
1.20GHz again, and the BIOS settings regarding this seemed to be
erased.

I tried fiddling around with the settings a bit, but I finally decided
to downgrade back to 0701, and things have been working fine since then.

So, is the 0803 BIOS on Asus' website damaged or in some other way
bugged? Googling this, I couldn't find any negative feedback (yet
anyway).

Regards, Patrick.