DX10 AGP?

Old February 22nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
boe

Default DX10 AGP?

I'm stoked that ATI have finally released good AGP video cards - problem is
they released them so close to the release of Vista, I'm considering waiting
to see if they'll make DX10 AGP cards. Any solid rumors?

Old February 22nd 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
NewMan

From my past experience, your concern is quite justified!

I used to have an ATI Rage IIc. Under Win98se this had a great driver
with all kinds of oprions and modes. I usually ran 32 bit colour and
1024 x 768.

When we upgraded to WinXP, the only resolution available as 800 x
600??? WTF!

Went to the ATI website for an updated driver......

"Driver is included with WinXP click here... www.mircosoft.com ...."

Gee, thanks for NOTHING!

SO I upgraded our video cards.... to nVIDIA!

I would not be surprized if ATI pulls a fast one and leaves you
standing at the curb on DX10 for AGP. They have done this kind of crap
before. The main problem is that there likely wont be a next
generation of AGP cards! Everyone seems to be pushing PCI-E, and AGP
is phasing out. So in this case ATIs lack of support could translate
into you having to buy a new computer!

Time will tell, but I would not hold my breath - if past hyjinx are
any indication of things to come from ATI! (Who do they think they
are? MicroSoft???)

Old February 22nd 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
boe

I know nVidia has a low end one coming out around April. However now that
x1900 units are out from ATI in AGP and nVidia actually released a high end
AGP unit, I have hopes they will make a high end AGP unit - however it took
them about 2 years to get back into the high end AGP market. Hopefully
they'll do the same with AGP DX10 much faster this time.

From my past experience, your concern is quite justified!

Old February 22nd 07, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DaveW

I do not believe that there are any plans for DX 10 AGP cards.

--
--------
DaveW

Old February 22nd 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

At some point you will have to ditch your AGP system. The DX10 games in
development like Crysis, UT2007, etc. probably won't run smoothly with your
current CPU.

Old February 23rd 07, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
boe

I'm not sure about that one but I have yet to see a single DX9 game - FEAR,
WOW, HL2, PREY, etc that even begins to tap the processor - never seen it
exceed 25%. The only bottleneck is the video card- I replaced my old one a
while back with the x850 and it ran very well, then I borrowed an AGP 1900
and it ran GREAT! I don't want to buy the 1900 in hopes that a DX10 will
come out. Not many games really require a lot of processing power. The
only time I've seen my processor max is on video conversion. I have fast
drives and 2 gigs so the only bottleneck is the video.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Alan Jones

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:27:19 -0800, NewMan
wrote:

From my past experience, your concern is quite justified!

[...]

Windows 98SE and Linux will work with an old ISA video card. Not so
with W2k and beyond. Microsoft is evil, ATI/AMD is just trying to run
a business. I see no reason to upgrade to Vista, or DX10, but I'm
certain Microsoft will find a way to force the issue.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"Alan Jones" wrote in message ...
Windows 98SE and Linux will work with an old ISA video card. Not so
with W2k and beyond. Microsoft is evil, ATI/AMD is just trying to run
a business. I see no reason to upgrade to Vista, or DX10, but I'm
certain Microsoft will find a way to force the issue.

That's an undeserved knock at MS IMO. I've been running the
exact same installation of Win2K for nearly 7 years now, it's still
nicely supported and I can still run DX games all the way back
to DX5 on my AGP system.

Old February 23rd 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Captain Midnight

wrote in message
"Alan Jones" wrote in message

Windows 98SE and Linux will work with an old ISA video card. Not so
with W2k and beyond. Microsoft is evil, ATI/AMD is just trying to run
a business. I see no reason to upgrade to Vista, or DX10, but I'm
certain Microsoft will find a way to force the issue.

That's an undeserved knock at MS IMO. I've been running the
exact same installation of Win2K for nearly 7 years now, it's still
nicely supported and I can still run DX games all the way back
to DX5 on my AGP system.

I'm not a big M$ fan but why anyone would want to pay for an O/S that
provides support for something 1% of buyers would use is beyond me. Maybe
we should pay for punch card reader support too.

Old February 23rd 07, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

Tried Flight Simulator X lately? It'll bring your CPU to its knees at
higher-quality settings.

The Unreal Engine games typically are CPU-limited. HL2 when it first came
out was CPU-limited as well.

"boe" wrote in message
I'm stoked that ATI have finally released good AGP video cards - problem
is they released them so close to the release of Vista, I'm considering
waiting to see if they'll make DX10 AGP cards. Any solid rumors?

DX10.1 First Half 2008? First of One Nvidia Videocards 3 November 26th 06 01:59 AM
DX10.1 First Half 2008? First of One Ati Videocards 3 November 26th 06 01:59 AM
New DX10 ATI Cards Reggie Hillier Ati Videocards 0 November 12th 06 03:27 PM
DX10 , G80s Blueshark Homebuilt PC's 8 October 25th 06 11:51 PM
Does ATI have Dx10 hardware yet? Gonzo Ati Videocards 8 May 12th 06 05:20 PM