how to clean dirty computer parts?

Old September 11th 10, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Orson Cart

Default how to clean dirty computer parts?

One place I worked, the IT guy used to clean keyboards with distilled water
(after beverage spills).
Now I think keyboards have simpler innards than a graphics card or wireless
LAN adapter for example. I have some PCs that have been used in a fish and
chip shop or some other fast-food outlet. There seems to be a coating of dust
on everything stuck with oil. Actually, most of them work, but I wonder how
long. I was pondering how to clean them. Blowing air is not going to work,
unless its a Formula 1 wind tunnel. In the 1980s, I had some stuff called Freon
TF that was magic: you could drop anything into a bath of it, and it cleansed
all crap off. Intermittent faults vanished! Unfortunately such CFCs are now
banned. So what have you used? Windex? Methylated spirits?
Old September 11th 10, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 9/11/2010 7:41 AM, Orson Cart wrote:
One place I worked, the IT guy used to clean keyboards with distilled water
(after beverage spills).
Now I think keyboards have simpler innards than a graphics card or wireless
LAN adapter for example. I have some PCs that have been used in a fish and
chip shop or some other fast-food outlet. There seems to be a coating of dust
on everything stuck with oil. Actually, most of them work, but I wonder how
long. I was pondering how to clean them. Blowing air is not going to work,
unless its a Formula 1 wind tunnel. In the 1980s, I had some stuff called Freon
TF that was magic: you could drop anything into a bath of it, and it cleansed
all crap off. Intermittent faults vanished! Unfortunately such CFCs are now
banned. So what have you used? Windex? Methylated spirits?

I would disassemble the machine, paying special care to make sure there
are no enclosed voids. Then, pop it in a dishwasher. Place components
in an area with good ventilation so they will air dry more quickly.
Leave them there until you are sure they are completely dry.

Old September 11th 10, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GMAN[_13_]

In article , "Orson Cart" wrote:

One place I worked, the IT guy used to clean keyboards with distilled water
(after beverage spills).
Now I think keyboards have simpler innards than a graphics card or wireless
LAN adapter for example. I have some PCs that have been used in a fish and
chip shop or some other fast-food outlet. There seems to be a coating of dust
on everything stuck with oil. Actually, most of them work, but I wonder how
long. I was pondering how to clean them. Blowing air is not going to work,
unless its a Formula 1 wind tunnel. In the 1980s, I had some stuff called Freon
TF that was magic: you could drop anything into a bath of it, and it cleansed
all crap off. Intermittent faults vanished! Unfortunately such CFCs are now
banned. So what have you used? Windex? Methylated spirits?

I have ran some keyboards thru my dishwasher.

http://boingboing.net/2005/05/30/cle...keyboard-.html

http://www.cultofmac.com/its-officia...rks-great/1625

http://www.ehow.com/how_2183738_clea...ishwasher.html
Old September 12th 10, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pimpom

GMAN wrote:
In article , "Orson Cart"
wrote:

[...]

I have a close friend who has a friend who _boiled_ a flaky
motherboard in water. He says it's working fine now.