How Good Is The "Geek Squad"

Old March 15th 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Default How Good Is The "Geek Squad"

The Browns wrote:
Recent problems with my PC made me wonder if
Best Buy's "Geek Squad" is any good. Is it?

Absolutely not. Geek Squad is the new Jiffy Lube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hxqx4hgeKgQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
Old March 15th 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
The Browns

Hi,

Recent problems with my PC made me wonder if
Best Buy's "Geek Squad" is any good. Is it?

Thanks,
Gary

Old March 15th 07, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Skeleton Man

Recent problems with my PC made me wonder if
Best Buy's "Geek Squad" is any good. Is it?

Absolutely not. Geek Squad is the new Jiffy Lube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hxqx4hgeKgQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

$275 in repairs to plug in the IDE connector ? That's ridiculous.. very
interesting report though.. (as is the Jiffy Lube one)

Chris

Old March 15th 07, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Skeleton Man wrote:
Recent problems with my PC made me wonder if
Best Buy's "Geek Squad" is any good. Is it?

Absolutely not. Geek Squad is the new Jiffy Lube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hxqx4hgeKgQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

$275 in repairs to plug in the IDE connector ? That's ridiculous.. very
interesting report though.. (as is the Jiffy Lube one)

There's quite a bit of complaint about Geek Squad in the blogosphere,
and on consumer advocacy sites as well. An additional pound of
anecdotal evidence comes from my own interactions with them. It's
clear, to me at least, that a "good" geek in Best Buy's eyes, is one
that sells services rather than one that has technical proficiency.
Sadly, computer repair as an industry is highly susceptible to this type
of chicanery.
Old March 15th 07, 07:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:22:12 -0500, "The Browns"
wrote:

Hi,

Recent problems with my PC made me wonder if
Best Buy's "Geek Squad" is any good. Is it?

Thanks,
Gary

A squad of people is only as good as the individual you
happen to get looking at your PC, and how much they've been
trained to maximize profit for the squad instead of minimize
cost or address your specific needs.

In general you would get a squad to install a piece of
hardware for you if you weren't able, and that's about all.
For the best specific-computer problems and resolutions you
are much better off asking a geek friend you know or taking
it to a local mom-n-pop computer shop, preferribly one with
older technicians instead of teenagers who most assemble
grey-label systems and run antivirus and adware scanners
(unless of course all you need is your PC disinfected, but
even then some techs are a little too quick to format a hard
drive before asking if all your data is backed up).

So the short answer is, consider them a last alternative,
you might do as well fixing a problem yourself as there is a
lot of information out there for DIYers, the internet is a
great resource for computer information if nothing else.

Old March 16th 07, 08:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lez Pawl

"kony" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:22:12 -0500, "The Browns"
wrote:

Hi,

[...]

yes it is WHEN the computer is working but USELESS when it is not and its
your only system

Old March 16th 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:25:36 -0000, "Lez Pawl"
wrote:

'the internet is a great resource for computer information'

yes it is WHEN the computer is working but USELESS when it is not and its
your only system

If there is only access to one computer within reasonable
traveling distance, priority #1 might be moving.
Old March 16th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lez Pawl

wrote:

'the internet is a great resource for computer information'

yes it is WHEN the computer is working but USELESS when it is not and its
your only system

If there is only access to one computer within reasonable
traveling distance, priority #1 might be moving.

or just buy a cheapy system capable of running tinternet only.

Old April 2nd 14, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gary Walker

On Wednesday, March 14, 2007 8:22:12 PM UTC-5, The Browns wrote:
Hi,

Recent problems with my PC made me wonder if
Best Buy's "Geek Squad" is any good. Is it?

Thanks,
Gary

I just concluded a great experience involving the use of my local Geek Squad repair facility. Without all the boring detail, The GS performed the repair(s) on our laptop, just as they promised. The local GS facility was very detail oriented, very professional, and everything proceeded from start to finish without any problems, drama, or surprises.

I realize there are frequently problems involved in this business, but I can't recall any interaction with a service group in the last decade, where I've been as satisfied, comfortable, or excited.

Each customer experience is unique, but based on my GS experience, I would certainly return for service should the need arise.

As usual, standard disclaimers apply. My relation to Geek Squad is exactly as noted. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gary