AGPVideocard vs. Harddisk on Asrock mainboard

Old February 12th 04, 08:53 AM
Alex Schwarzer

Default AGPVideocard vs. Harddisk on Asrock mainboard

Hi Folks,

weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Specs

Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
installed
512 MB
Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

Old February 12th 04, 06:33 PM
Dark Avenger

"Alex Schwarzer" wrote in message .. .
Hi Folks,

weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Specs

Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
installed
512 MB
Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!
Old February 12th 04, 11:11 PM
Alex Schwarzer

"Dark Avenger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
"4H

What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

Hi, Avenger,

I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

Old February 12th 04, 11:15 PM
Alex Schwarzer

"PB" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS setup?

Do you need to make a (* choke *) jumper setting on the motherboard?

DD

Yes, I disabled the onboard video; no, theres no jumper setting needed on my
asrock GPro.

Old February 13th 04, 08:50 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:53:50 +0100, "Alex Schwarzer"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Specs

Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
installed
512 MB
Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

ASROCK makes piece of **** motherboards... (They are re-packaged
ECS/PC Chips board sold under the sub of ASUS).

replace board with something that works.

$60 buys a KT400 or KT600 mobo...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 13th 04, 12:55 PM
Dark Avenger

"Alex Schwarzer" wrote in message .. .
"Dark Avenger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
"4H

What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

Hi, Avenger,

I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

Well even a cheapo 300W should be able to run that, unless ofcourse
you heavily overclock your processor.

I guess that it might indeed be your motherboard....