P4 2.4Ghz - 256Mb RAM - GeForce 4 Ti4200 128Mb RAM - AGP4X and games are slow !!!

Old September 18th 03, 11:04 PM
Diego Tercero

Default P4 2.4Ghz - 256Mb RAM - GeForce 4 Ti4200 128Mb RAM - AGP4X and games are slow !!!

Hi everyone.
I have a very serious problem here.
I'm running WinXP with the configuration described in the subject of this
post and I have tried playing games like :
Warcraft III (starts, and then it goes like 1 frame every five seconds),
Dungeon Siege (hangs after 20 seconds),
Operation Flashpoint (hangs after 5 seconds)

I don't know what's wrong and I don't have the slightest idea of where to
start to fix my problems. I don't know what the problem might be. I have
downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia and I still got problems.
I have read that sometimes power supply issues could be the source of this
kind of issues, like say there's not enough power to supply the video card.
But that seems so unlikely, I mean, I have a 400 W power supply, that should
make it... shouldn'it ?

But then, I don't know what other settings I should check (configuration in
the BIOS ? in the control pannel of my video card ? which options to check ?
RAM managing options ? IRQ conflicts with sound card ?... please could
someone give me hints to solve my problem ? I really don't know where to
start to diagnos what's wrong and I know this card is able to render
something more than just StarCraft and Age of Empires.. argh !

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanxs

Diego

Old September 19th 03, 11:41 AM
Dark Avenger

"Diego Tercero" wrote in message ...
[...]

Where must I start.....

Well lets start at the no-name powersupply. It might say it does
400Watt but that is only PEAK power. And PEAK power says nothing about
normal operation.

256Mb ram....that is cheap today...and not much!

Self I run 1024Mb memory and I tell you....everything goes smooth.

So look what background programs you open ( programs in the background
can seriously add a heavy tax to your system ) and buy 256Mb extra
memory. With 256Mb extra memory everything should run finer.

I seriously feel that your system if ****ed up with spyware/adware and
other ****, else there is no way how it would run so damn slow.

So download and run AdAware and clean yourself from all those little
peskers, upgrade to 512Mb memory, and take controll over wich programs
may start each startup!
Old September 19th 03, 03:21 PM
Chris Smowton

[...]

I'm having very similar problems, and I think I have it narrowed down
to either my motherboard or else my power supply. I suggest you take
the easier of the two to swap - the power supply. Buy a quality brand
(I don't know which are best - can anyone suggest?), swap it for your
current one, and just keep the receipt in case it's not the problem.

As for the other possibility, do you know what motherboard you have? I
have found that a great many people have problems with VIA chipsets.