Will A7N8X-X work ok with MS Wireless Optical Desktop Elite?

Old April 30th 04, 12:22 AM
Barry Rubin

Default Will A7N8X-X work ok with MS Wireless Optical Desktop Elite?

My old wired keyboard would work OK with the power off and the sleep
buttons and wake again, but my new wireless has problems on this
motherboard,

1. The 'sleep' button puts pc into hibernate. Which key should wake it
up? No, the 'sleep' key does not work.g

2. The 'log off' key gets me to log off, but does not shut down the pc.
Can it be made to shut it down?

This is on WinXP Pro with all updates installed, all power options
(sleep and shut down) worked on old wired keyboard, now using usb port
for connection to pc, legacy usb support enabled in BIOS, and (I think)
all power settings are correct in XP. The CD included with the hardware
shows driver 5.0.174.0

Is there a newer driver version available? MS web site only shows
version 5.0.

Any help on these 3 questions appreciated.

Barry
--
To reply via e-mail, remove the nets.
http://www.rubincpa.com

Old April 30th 04, 04:03 AM
BobS

try using the USB/ps2 adapter that came with the optical desktop. I have the
same keyboard mouse setup on my A7N8X E deluxe and use the USB also, but do
not use sleep mode. The power to the USB ports go off in sleep mode, no? if
so, the keyboard and mouse would be useless to wake the system. The PS2
ports seem to still function in sleep mode. The wireless receiver with no
power, is powerless (pun intended)

The Log off key does just that, Log off. I like the keyboard, but do not use
all of its functions. I did look in the keyboard setup program for the
reassignment possibilities for the log off button, and shut down is not
among them, although some ridiculous choices are, strange!

Bob

Old April 30th 04, 07:38 AM
Barry Rubin

Bob,

I will try the ps2 option instead of USB and post back here. What you
say makes sense about USB not waking up. Also, if keyboard wont shut
down my pc, it's going back anyway. That would be dumb if it didnt work,
so it is possible that is what MS intended.g

I'll see first if anyone can use the kb with this mobo.

Thanks,

Barry

In article ,
says...

Old April 30th 04, 10:20 AM
rstlne

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:22:58 -0500, (Barry
Rubin) wrote:

[...]

Probably stupid question, but after installing any keyboard software
/drivers for it did you look in the Control Panel/KeyBoard settings to
see if it lets you define the keys to what you want, maybe they just
mixed up?

Ed

I figure I missed something stupid, so dont worry.g Yes, I checked the
settings but no option to shut down. Keys are all at default settings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
To reply via e-mail, remove the nets.
http://www.rubincpa.com

Maybee it's linked to the powersave options (I use win2k so I dont know
where it would be for xp)
Basically it's on the window where you choose your screen saver, then click
the energy saver button @ bottom and tab to advanced/hibernate

shrug

Old April 30th 04, 10:23 AM
Tim

Barry,

I have the MS Natural wireless keyboard with the *horribly dumb* F keys on
it.
It amazed me that the keyboard was - as designed - able to shutdown the
system, but not wake it up - even if the keyboard is in the PS/2 port. I am
not using an Asus mobo with the keyboard, but with an Asus mobo I would have
set in the bios the ability to wake the computer using the keyboard. There
you can specify your preference for the key combination for the wakeup - my
Asus systems have that & I am peeved that this inferior mobo's bios does not
(you have 2 options Windows 9x Power Key or a 4 character password).

So, look in the bios - on Asus you should have the choice of space bar, Ctrl
Escape and some other options.

Also if you don't like the behaviour of the F keys, take a look in the MS
Hardware news groups for details on how you can remap keys.

- Tim

Old April 30th 04, 03:19 PM
Tom R

[...]

Check the M/B manual, under Jumpers,
I had to change the "KBPWR1" to get mine to work.
The Default is "disabled "

Old May 1st 04, 05:55 PM
Barry Rubin

In article ,
says...

[...]

Tom,

Since my old wired keyboard functioned OK to power off/on the pc, this
jumper was already set correctly. But, I did reset jumpers USBPWR_12,
USBPWR_34, and USBPWR_56. According to the manual (section 1.9) this
should enable the USB wake up feature. But, nothing changed and the MS
Elite only would 'log off', not shut down; and 'sleep', but not wake up.
This was with the USB connection from the wireless receiver.

In desparation I switched the keyboard/mouse wireless receiver to work
with its ps/2 adapter. As a ps/2 keyboard and mouse the BIOS allows a
wake up feature and this works fine now. To stop the annoying 'log off'
key to NOT shut down, I installed the tiny program 'Wizmo' from
www.grc.com and changed the key to recognize this program and its shut
down feature.

To sum up, the Wireless Elite only seems to function correctly for wake
up on this motherboard when connected to the pc using the ps/2 adapter.
To wake up, my BIOS is set to wake up with any key. To shut down I
installed an outside program. To sleep, it works correctly.

BTW, I did update the BIOS to version C18X1009.BIN.

If anyone has the MS keyboard working correctly on this motherboard as a
USB device, I would still like to know.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Barry