How to figure out what runs under Win2K

Old December 10th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default How to figure out what runs under Win2K

On the labels for their games, Microsoft now has "XP or Vista" for
supported OS's. Generally, will these games run under Windows
2000 SP4 or not?

Old December 10th 07, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andrew

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:12:02 -0800, nospam wrote:

On the labels for their games, Microsoft now has "XP or Vista" for
supported OS's. Generally, will these games run under Windows
2000 SP4 or not?

Usually, except for some dumb games that have an OS check that rejects it
at installation for no good reason.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old December 11th 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_5_]

No. They are incompatible.

--
--DaveW

Old December 11th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andrew

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:29:04 -0800, DaveW wrote:

No. They are incompatible.

To the OP: ignore DaveW, he is a troll.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old December 11th 07, 09:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
oldwolf[_2_]

wrote in message
On the labels for their games, Microsoft now has "XP or Vista" for
supported OS's. Generally, will these games run under Windows
2000 SP4 or not?

Try this http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html

Just scroll down to the app, or game category, and see whats available.

Old December 11th 07, 12:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:02:47 -0500, Paul wrote:

wrote:
On the labels for their games, Microsoft now has "XP or Vista" for
supported OS's. Generally, will these games run under Windows
2000 SP4 or not?

My machine has Win2K SP4, and I've noticed a trend in demo versions
of software, to either do an OS check and reject the Win2K OS. Or
in some cases, the program does install, but there are run time
problems. The other day, I tried a demo, and actually found
instructions for patching around a run time problem, and got the
program to run. So if someone has figured out the problem, it can run.

Example of how to get a game running on Win2K - expect more probs like this.
I used this for another game, and it worked.

"Fix for running Bioshock in Windows 2000" xinput1_3.dll TraceMessage
http://www.techspot.com/blog/87/fix-...-windows-2000/

I don't think there is really a reason why a game will only
run on WinXP, except for pig-headedness. The OSes share too much
in common, for that to be a barrier. But without active MS support,
you can kiss gaming goodbye. I've more or less given up on
expecting anything new to work here. If you want some guarantee
a game will work out-of-the-box, better upgrade.

Paul

Might be time to buy a PlayStation. (Ah, Bill, did you hear that ?)
Linux too.

Old December 11th 07, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ed Medlin

wrote in message
On the labels for their games, Microsoft now has "XP or Vista" for
supported OS's. Generally, will these games run under Windows
2000 SP4 or not?

Until recently just about any game that would run on XP would run on 2k.
Now, with OS checks etc, it is a hit or miss deal since W2k is not
officially supported as far as the gaming community is concerned.

Ed

Old December 12th 07, 07:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Paul" wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that link, Paul. I'm running the Crysis demo on my
3.6GHz P4 w/ Gainward 7800GS AGP (24 pipes) under
Win2K, and it runs very, very well at 1280x1024 High setting.
And that's with an older 94.24 driver, supposedly 169.09 and
above have major speed optimizations for Crysis.

Game developers (especially MS) have done a great disservice
to Win2K users. I can understand end-of-lifing a product, but
if it still works without issue why pretend it no longer exists?

Trying to figure out what RAM I should get [email protected] General 14 March 31st 07 09:37 AM
help please i will die if i don't figure this out. whatever Ati Videocards 1 October 4th 06 08:05 AM
FEAR runs crappy, Quake runs fine JB Homebuilt PC's 30 December 19th 05 05:55 PM
Figure this one? ABC General 4 March 11th 05 01:35 PM
Can anyone figure this out? Gerry Wolf Homebuilt PC's 3 September 16th 04 09:18 PM