Pentium III video card recommendation needed

Old January 30th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Pentium III video card recommendation needed

Hi all,

I'm upgrading an elderly PC with onboard video at the moment, and I
figure it could use a new video card, but my memory has failed me as
to the best video cards to use with a high-end P2 or low-end P3
system. Suggestions for decent PCI cards to pick up on eBay would be
much appreciated, without going overboard and getting something that
will be throttled by the slow processor. Does a TNT2 sound
reasonable, or will it benefit from something a little faster?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Old January 30th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article . com,
says...
Hi all,

I'm upgrading an elderly PC with onboard video at the moment, and I
figure it could use a new video card, but my memory has failed me as
to the best video cards to use with a high-end P2 or low-end P3
system. Suggestions for decent PCI cards to pick up on eBay would be
much appreciated, without going overboard and getting something that
will be throttled by the slow processor. Does a TNT2 sound
reasonable, or will it benefit from something a little faster?

I used to have a Geforce 4 Ti4200 in my old P3.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Old January 30th 07, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

AGP or PCI

as far as what card, you don't need to take a chance on used from EBAY, now
is the time to bargain up on old tech -new in the box for cheap.

ups.com...

Old January 31st 07, 10:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I'm upgrading an elderly PC with onboard video at the moment, and I
figure it could use a new video card, but my memory has failed me as
to the best video cards to use with a high-end P2 or low-end P3
system. Suggestions for decent PCI cards to pick up on eBay would be
much appreciated, without going overboard and getting something that
will be throttled by the slow processor. Does a TNT2 sound
reasonable, or will it benefit from something a little faster?

The TNT2 does not have T&L.

I upgraded my old PIII with an FX 5200.

It's fully DX 9.0 compatible.

It was cheap too.

You might get other more expensive FX versions.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old January 31st 07, 02:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On 30 Jan, 17:46, "JAD" wrote:
AGP or PCI

PCI, I'm afraid.

as far as what card, you don't need to take a chance on used from EBAY, now
is the time to bargain up on old tech -new in the box for cheap.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I'm looking to spend a maximum of
£10 (approx. $20) as it's not for my PC. I'm just curious to see what
the best card for a processor in the 450MHz - 600MHz range would be
without getting something way too powerful.

All the best,

Dave.

Old January 31st 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

The TNT2 does not have T&L.

Good point; thanks for that.

I upgraded my old PIII with an FX 5200.

Just out of curiousity, how did you find that it performed when
coupled with an older processor? And how fast is/was your PIII?

Thanks for the help,

Dave.

Old January 31st 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I used to have a Geforce 4 Ti4200 in my old P3.

Sounds good; unfortunately, they still seem to sell for a little more
than I can afford for this project. I don't think I need to worry
about getting something TOO powerful, now that I think about it,
judging by my budget...*lol*

Dave.

Old February 2nd 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Skybuck Flying

wrote in message
ups.com...
The TNT2 does not have T&L.

Good point; thanks for that.

I upgraded my old PIII with an FX 5200.

Just out of curiousity, how did you find that it performed when
coupled with an older processor? And how fast is/was your PIII?

PIII was 450 mhz overclocked to 600 mhz with special majesty cooler.

FX 5200 probably performed more or less the same as TNT2 but with T&L
support ofcourse.

Or maybe both video cards were hold back by the PIII

I played call of duty on that system... and it was playable.

I even finished doom3 and doom3 evil resurrected on it... but only at a few
fps.

I also played a bit of halo on it... and starwars empire at war... but for
mp the system got to slow.

And finished half life 2 on it...

If you really wanna play the latest games you ll definetly need a new pc

The best thing about my new pc is the speed in general ofcourse...
especially the load times and harddisk speed is great... the ammount of ram
probably also has to do something with it... more disk cache

I mainly bought the fx 5200 as replacement for tnt2 - i broke it's fan
while cleaning it

The fx5200 was fanless though - nice... definetly good investment for older
computers to keep them running.

Bye,
Skybuck.