Does old ohardware work with new oses?

Old May 17th 15, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
micky

Default Does old ohardware work with new oses?

Are color printers and a separate scanner, designed for win98, I think,
likely to still work with XP or later versions of Windows?

If so I would give them to a hamfest that could give them away at the
sponsor's table, or as part of the door prizes.

They are new, in the box.

(I know I could look each of them up for a specific answer, but not time
right now and the hamfest is in 8 days.)
Old May 17th 15, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
Bruce Hagen[_2_]

"micky" wrote in message

Are color printers and a separate scanner, designed for win98, I think,
likely to still work with XP or later versions of Windows?

If so I would give them to a hamfest that could give them away at the
sponsor's table, or as part of the door prizes.

They are new, in the box.

(I know I could look each of them up for a specific answer, but not time
right now and the hamfest is in 8 days.)

Possibly, but you would have to see if XP drivers are available for each one
specifically by model number. No one could even take a wild guess.
--

~Bruce

Old May 17th 15, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

On Sat, 16 May 2015 19:26:28 -0400, micky
wrote:

Are color printers and a separate scanner, designed for win98, I think,
likely to still work with XP or later versions of Windows?

If so I would give them to a hamfest that could give them away at the
sponsor's table, or as part of the door prizes.

They are new, in the box.

(I know I could look each of them up for a specific answer, but not time
right now and the hamfest is in 8 days.)

Likely? Probably not. But the only way to be sure is to check the
manufacturer's web site to be whether Windows XP (or later) drivers
exist for it.
Old May 17th 15, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
micky

wrote:

Are color printers and a separate scanner, designed for win98, I think,
likely to still work with XP or later versions of Windows?

If so I would give them to a hamfest that could give them away at the
sponsor's table, or as part of the door prizes.

They are new, in the box.

(I know I could look each of them up for a specific answer, but not time
right now and the hamfest is in 8 days.)

Likely? Probably not. But the only way to be sure is to check the
manufacturer's web site to be whether Windows XP (or later) drivers
exist for it.

Boohoo. Maybe I'll have time before the next hamfest in a couple
months. It's probably bigger anyhow.

Thanks
Old May 17th 15, 12:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

micky wrote:

Are color printers and a separate scanner, designed for win98, I think,
likely to still work with XP or later versions of Windows?

If so I would give them to a hamfest that could give them away at the
sponsor's table, or as part of the door prizes.

They are new, in the box.

(I know I could look each of them up for a specific answer, but not time
right now and the hamfest is in 8 days.)

XP, maybe.
W7, probably not.
Old May 17th 15, 12:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Paul in Houston TX
writes:
micky wrote:

Are color printers and a separate scanner, designed for win98, I think,
likely to still work with XP or later versions of Windows?

If so I would give them to a hamfest that could give them away at the
sponsor's table, or as part of the door prizes.

They are new, in the box.

(I know I could look each of them up for a specific answer, but not time
right now and the hamfest is in 8 days.)

XP, maybe.
W7, probably not.

As others have said, unfortunately you'd have to check each one
individually. Unless you're talking of a vast number of different
models, it shouldn't take 8 days to check the manufacturer's website,
except in a few cases where the manufacturer has got out of that type of
product altogether (like BenQ for scanners).

Scanners that don't work under 7 can sometimes be made to do so using (I
think it's called) VueScan, but that costs more ($20-$25 IIRR) than a
cheap new scanner. Irritating that the manufacturers don't do this
support, since obviously the hardware does work under 7, but I suppose
they have no incentive to, and I can't blame VueScan for charging for
their product. (They do do a free version you can use to find out if the
scanner will work with a given scanner, but it places overprints on the
image.)

Another point is that, unless towards the end of the '9x period, they
probably connect via the parallel port: virtually all more recent
laptops/netbooks don't have those, and I've been told even some desktops
don't. (You can get USB-to-parallel adapters - "cables", but there is
some electronics in them - but they vary, and may not work with all old
hardware.)

One attraction of old printers is (I'm assuming they're inkjet) the
cartridges won't have quite such insane levels of chipping, though!

Why do you have a pile of new (as in in the box) old printers and
scanner?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

They are public servants, so we will threat them rather as Flashman treats
servants. - Stephen Fry on some people's attitudo to the BBC, in Radio Times,
3-9 July 2010
Old May 17th 15, 05:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Another point is that, unless towards the end of the '9x period, they
probably connect via the parallel port: virtually all more recent
laptops/netbooks don't have those, and I've been told even some desktops
don't. (You can get USB-to-parallel adapters - "cables", but there is
some electronics in them - but they vary, and may not work with all old
hardware.)

Good point!
My 2 yr old MB does not have parallel or serial ports.
Tried a USB to parallel adapter with my old HP printer / scanner
and it would not work. Ended up getting a pcie parallel card
which works great.
Cannot use my external USR phone modem because it requires a
serial port and the MB does not have any available pcie ports.
The MB does not have a built in analog modem, so no phoning for me.

Old May 17th 15, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
Paul

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Another point is that, unless towards the end of the '9x period, they
probably connect via the parallel port: virtually all more recent
laptops/netbooks don't have those, and I've been told even some desktops
don't. (You can get USB-to-parallel adapters - "cables", but there is
some electronics in them - but they vary, and may not work with all old
hardware.)

Good point!
My 2 yr old MB does not have parallel or serial ports.
Tried a USB to parallel adapter with my old HP printer / scanner
and it would not work. Ended up getting a pcie parallel card
which works great.
Cannot use my external USR phone modem because it requires a
serial port and the MB does not have any available pcie ports.
The MB does not have a built in analog modem, so no phoning for me.

Have you checked for a 2x5 serial header ?

I bought a USB to RS232 adapter, used it for a day or
so, when I happened to be looking inside the computer
case and noticed a 2x5. I went back and checked the manual,
and damn if the motherboard didn't have a single serial port
on it. (That 2x5 has a different pattern than the USB headers.)

The reason things like that can show up, is due to the
continued use of SuperI/O chips. This is more popular
on home-build PCs, where the manufacturer wants to continue
to have a hardware voltage monitor (for Speedfan etc). One
of the bonuses, is the SuperI/O has a serial port. The manufacturer
still has to pay for an RS232 interface chip, to convert logic
levels into +/-25V max serial I/O. So they still have th
throw a TI 75232 onto the board, to make it work.

I uses an existing ribbon cable, plus a DB-9 I still had
sitting here, made an adapter cable, and that's my serial port.

You can also get serial ports on plugin cards, with
assignable addressing. So that the port will be recognized
at the usual address.

The USB to parallel port, is limited to one flavor by
the nature of the software stack. It isn't a hardware
issue as such - there's no way to support all possible
protocols, with the way the USB class works for the thing
now. It is really a "USB to printer" design, where the
printer is a subset of all possible flavors. Whereas
the PCI Express version, the stack is not limited in that
way for it. So more stuff can work. (Even my JTAG programmer
cable would work on there. I have a JTAG cable that runs
off a parallel port. And my PCI Express card drives that.
I've tested it.)

Paul

Old May 17th 15, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Paul in Houston TX wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[...]

It's a GA-X58A-UDR3.
Has everything else but serial header.
I have an old AMD single core computer that I use with
a USR external modem.
Company laptop #1 has a built in software modem that connects
to around 10% of the scada equipment so I have to use the
old comp and USR external for the other 90%, which is a pain
since the data belongs on laptop #1.
What I really need is a USB modem that I can use with the company
laptop #2 that does not have anything except usb ports.
My usb to serial converter does not work with an external modem
however it does work with direct connect RS-232 to the scada equipment.

Old May 17th 15, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.periphs.printers
Paul

Paul in Houston TX wrote:
Paul wrote:
Paul in Houston TX wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[...]

Your motherboard does have a serial port, but you
can't use it.

The IT8720F has a serial port. It would need a TI 75232
level shifter, to be ready from a hardware perspective,
but the kicker is, it cannot work without a BIOS code
change. Someone with a configuration tool might be
able to turn it on. They can't leave it turned on,
because a user might mistake it for working hardware,
so it "disappears" from the address space, BIOS table
and so on.

(Block diagram if IT8720F - I'm guessing that's the one...)

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.UV6i...g&pid=15.1&P=0

And it's funny, as they included a Firewire chip, which
puts the board in an upper tier from a hardware
interface point of view. If they could pop for
a Firewire chip, they could pop for a level shifter.

I can't begin to guess why the modem doesn't work.
Any USB to serial, should have the full DB-9 set of
interface signals. While they do make USB to TX/RX/GND
TTL level adapters for cell phones, I doubt they'd bother
doing one with RS232 levels with that limitation, as
there'd be practically no use for it. You really need
the flow control, to get the best possible performance
from a bad situation. Perhaps if you had one of those
LED gizmos, that monitors serial port signal levels,
you could figure it out.

Paul