Parallel Port Problem

Old February 9th 04, 11:56 PM
Charles

Default Parallel Port Problem

I bought a used computer a 466 Celeron, 384 ram, with Windows XP Pro,
and the parallel port doesn't seem to work, I can't print.

I followed all the debugging procedures when it says "print test
page". The configuration seems right. As far as windows is concerned
the document goes through the spooler and out to the printer,
everything looks right, but nothing comes out of the printer. I even
disconnected the original drive, and plugged another one with Windows
98 loaded and I could not print even with this system either. The
printer and cables are OK I tried them on another computer.

Here's a clue that someone here may help me with, when I uninstall the
parallel port, and reboot, Windows finds the port but says "parallel
port for output only"??? It should be bi-directional am pretty sure.

Here is the BIOS information regarding the port I tried the different
modes, still nothing works.

BIOS Setup 3-35

Disable, 3BCh/IRQ7, 278h/IRQ5 and 378h/IRQ7. Default is 378h/IRQ7.

✏ Parallel Port Mode:
Can be set as ECP, EPP, ECP+EPP, or Normal (SPP) mode. Default is
Normal (SPP)
mode.

✏ ECP Mode Use DMA:
When the mode selected for the onboard parallel port is ECP, the DMA
channel selected
can be Channel 1 or Channel 3.

✏ EPP Mode Select:
When the mode selected for the onboard parallel port is EPP, two EPP
version options
are available: EPP1.7 and EPP1.9.

Any clues?

Thanks You very much

Charles
Old February 10th 04, 12:14 AM
Jimmy

Set the CMOS setting to ECP. This will give you bidirectional printing with
DMA. If the printer does not allow DMA, then go with EPP, which is
bidirectional without DMA.

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Parallel Port XS11E AMD x86-64 Processors 2 April 15th 04 01:47 AM
hooking up USB storage media to Parallel port on DOS radar system Larry General Hardware 2 January 24th 04 10:00 PM
Slowing down I/O - Parallel Port Alex G. General Hardware 0 December 11th 03 10:56 PM
Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port? Don in WNY Printers 2 July 14th 03 11:04 AM