WinXP Critical Update - NVIDIA?

Old November 8th 03, 03:20 PM
Dan Sgambelluri

Default WinXP Critical Update - NVIDIA?

if you went to nvidia.com and installed a driver update after June 24. The
newest one is October 23. than you do not have to worry about it.

Microsoft is a little slow with this as I get the same message but in the
Driver Update even though I have the latest video driver.

It is strange that is was listed under Critical Update than Driver Update.

When was the last time you updated your video drivers? I have the latest
and it is listed under the Driver Updates.

"Tom McCune" wrote in message
I just went to WinXP Windows Update (from my Inspiron 2650 laptop) and
found the following identified as the available critical update. Does this
make any sense? It is really listed under Critical Updates rather than
Driver Updates.

NVIDIA display software update released on June 24 2003. Download size:
13.6 MB, 7 minutes

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

Old November 8th 03, 03:40 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Tom McCune wrote:
I just went to WinXP Windows Update (from my Inspiron 2650 laptop) and
found the following identified as the available critical update. Does
this make any sense? It is really listed under Critical Updates
rather than Driver Updates.

NVIDIA display software update released on June 24 2003. Download
size:
13.6 MB, 7 minutes

Was that in the critical group or the driver group? Either way I wouldn't
install it. I've tried on a couple of PCs and it didn't work. Instead I
went to NVidia's site and downloaded their latest drivers.

--

Rob

Old November 8th 03, 05:12 PM
Irene

I check the XP Update site weekly and just finished doing so.
The NVIDIA driver update has always appeared under Driver Updates(which I
always ignore) and still appears there this morning. I showed no new
Critical Updates, as of 5 minutes ago.

Old November 8th 03, 05:53 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

"Tom McCune" wrote in message
I just went to WinXP Windows Update (from my Inspiron 2650 laptop) and
found the following identified as the available critical update. Does this
make any sense? It is really listed under Critical Updates rather than
Driver Updates.

NVIDIA display software update released on June 24 2003. Download size:
13.6 MB, 7 minutes

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc
Please use PGP for Privacy & Authenticity

Apparently you're not the only one.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1062000151

Surely a glitch.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old November 8th 03, 05:54 PM
John J. Burness

Tom McCune wrote:

"Irene" wrote in
:

I check the XP Update site weekly and just finished doing so.
The NVIDIA driver update has always appeared under Driver Updates(which I
always ignore) and still appears there this morning. I showed no new
Critical Updates, as of 5 minutes ago.

I can't blame anyone if they don't believe it, so I just checked again, and
again received this: http://www.mccune.cc/criticalupdate.jpg

You have provided conclusive evidence of your assertion (unless you have
spent hours trying fabricate a false picture - ONLY joking!!) but I have
to be honest to say that I'm truly amazed!!!

I recently rebuilt my PC from scratch & the number of critical updates
was horrendous (my OS pre-dates SP1). However that certainly wasn't one
of them!!

In fact there was a recommended update in the Drivers List (as it
happens it was offering the same rev as the Nvidia site), hence I d/l it.

Regards,
John

Old November 8th 03, 06:39 PM
BT

You should send that to Microsoft. Might convince them to rethink their plans
to force people to accept all critical updates.

BT

"Tom McCune" wrote in message
"Irene" wrote in
:

Old November 8th 03, 07:30 PM
Floyd Patterson

You do have a way to make your point g it is kinda tough to argue with a
screen shot. Just a guess, Can I assume you have a NVIDIA card installed.
Could it be that MS is trying to be helpful -- scary thought -- senses the
card and comes back and tells you that there is a new driver available? I
don't know...
"Tom McCune" wrote in message
"Irene" wrote in
:

Old November 9th 03, 01:59 AM
Irene

Tom, it's not that I don't believe you. I just couldn't duplicate what you
are getting. I tried several different ways of accessing XP Update and they
all returned the same thing for me.

"Tom McCune" wrote in message
"Irene" wrote in
:

Old November 9th 03, 04:35 AM
Wayne Boatwright

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in
:

Tom McCune wrote:
I just went to WinXP Windows Update (from my Inspiron 2650 laptop)
and found the following identified as the available critical update.
Does this make any sense? It is really listed under Critical Updates
rather than Driver Updates.

NVIDIA display software update released on June 24 2003. Download
size:
13.6 MB, 7 minutes

Was that in the critical group or the driver group? Either way I
wouldn't install it. I've tried on a couple of PCs and it didn't
work. Instead I went to NVidia's site and downloaded their latest
drivers.

I couldn't identify a driver update on Nvidia's site for the Vanta card.

Wayne
Old November 9th 03, 06:02 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in
:

Tom McCune wrote:
I just went to WinXP Windows Update (from my Inspiron 2650 laptop)
and found the following identified as the available critical update.
Does this make any sense? It is really listed under Critical Updates
rather than Driver Updates.

NVIDIA display software update released on June 24 2003. Download
size:
13.6 MB, 7 minutes

Was that in the critical group or the driver group? Either way I
wouldn't install it. I've tried on a couple of PCs and it didn't
work. Instead I went to NVidia's site and downloaded their latest
drivers.

I couldn't identify a driver update on Nvidia's site for the Vanta
card.

Wayne

If you choose the GeForce and TNT2 card option, you'll see Vanta listed in
the Product Supported list.

Click here http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and choose
Graphics Driver then GeForce and TNT2

--