Any Suggestions - Leadtek or MSI 5900XT

Old April 16th 04, 11:10 PM
Wookie

Default Any Suggestions - Leadtek or MSI 5900XT

Hey,
I'm about to upgrade my video card from a MSI 4400 to a 5900XT. Any
suggestions on whether the Leadtek on the MSI 5900XT? I mostly a gamer with
the obligatory surfing and Office type stuff.

The Leadtek has the faster RAM which is a bonus when OC'ing. I have had
good luck with MSI cards before and this one is rated very well. I think
they are essentially the same in performance with stick settings. I've had
friends who have owned Leadtek 4200 & 4600 cards and have had problems with
reliability and I am slightly leery of Leadtek cards ... yet they have the
kick butt 2.2 ns memory. The MSI cards are quiet and reliable.

No, I really don't want to fork over 350 - 450 dollars for the next
generation of Nvidia card, just looking for something that will smoothly
play Far Cry, Quake 3 and the next generation of video games.

Thanks

Old April 17th 04, 02:29 AM
Ed Light

Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
condition.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old April 17th 04, 07:01 AM
teqguy

Ed Light wrote:

Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
condition.

The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns. That's exactly
the same timings as the 5900 Ultra.

So you'd be able to overclock it to Ultra speeds without paying the
premium.
Old April 17th 04, 09:23 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:01:49 GMT, "teqguy" wrote:

Ed Light wrote:

Also Gainward has one that's a "golden sample" that's faster in stock
condition.

The Leadtek 5900XT has memory timings rated at 2.2ns.

Not in their spec when I last looked. Thus no guarantee AT ALL. . Luck
of the draw. Can't inspect the memory without either removing lots of
stuff to read the chip-type or powering up and checking overclock. 15%
restocking fee if you draw the short straw.

John Lewis

Old April 17th 04, 09:59 PM
wgd

In article aXfgc.14008$ru4.16335@attbi_s52, says...
Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?

Yes, I did.
Old April 18th 04, 12:58 PM
Ed Light

"wgd" wrote in message
ganews.com...
In article aXfgc.14008$ru4.16335@attbi_s52, says...
Did you get your Leadtek 5900XT from NewEgg?

Yes, I did.

Memory speed 780
gpu 450

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...128-185&depa=1

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old April 18th 04, 02:21 PM
Ed Light

Gainward Golden Sample (they make a non-golden sample too).
Overclocked to 490/889

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...00XT/index.htm

--
Ed Light