is 222 1t timing much better than 333 2t

Old July 27th 03, 11:31 PM
ali yousefi

Default is 222 1t timing much better than 333 2t

Hi:

Does anybody know if there are any manufacturer that makes 1GB DDR266
cas2 2-2-2 timing. I am putting together a dual xeon system that has room
for four memory modules and i want to put 4GB of memory. I know you can
have 512MB modules that are cas2 with 2-2-2 T1 timing, but i need more
memory than just 2GB. I would really appreciate any help.
thank you
if you could email me i really appreciate it:

Old July 28th 03, 04:19 AM
ali yousefi

Thank you very much for you information. I got a iwill dp533 MB that takes
unbuffered or registered memory. Everything else is exteremly fast about
the system
I just wanted the memory to be fast too. No, I really don't know if it
would be stable
or not but going to 2.5-3-3 is kind of too slow, maybe 2.5-2-2 if i can get
some of those
in 1GB DDR266 pc2100 modules.

again, thank you for your help.

"kony" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:31:25 GMT, "ali yousefi"
wrote:

Hi:

Does anybody know if there are any manufacturer that makes 1GB DDR266
cas2 2-2-2 timing. I am putting together a dual xeon system that has

room
for four memory modules and i want to put 4GB of memory. I know you can
have 512MB modules that are cas2 with 2-2-2 T1 timing, but i need more
memory than just 2GB. I would really appreciate any help.
thank you
if you could email me i really appreciate it:

Have you even confirmed that 4 1GB modules will run at 2-2-2 T1 on
that board? I would bet they won't, that at least you would have to
manually set the timings lower (if the motherboard doesn't do so
automatically), maybe to 2.5,3,3 just to have stability with THOSE
modules, but lower-spec modules may not work at all. Generally
registered memory is used in these situations, that's what I would
buy.

Dave

Old July 28th 03, 06:17 AM
kony

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 03:19:01 GMT, "ali yousefi"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message blah blah blah:
[...]

It would seem you have a choice to make... a lot of memory, or less
but faster memory. Also consider that even though your motherboard
would run PC2100 memory by specification, you might have better
results attaining better timings by buying memory with higher
specification than actually needed, like PC2700 2-2-2 or PC3200 2-2-2,
though of course with the amount of memory you want the extra expense
could be significant. If it were me I'd still buy registered memory
instead, if using more than 2 - 1GB modules.

I suppose you can always buy from some place with a good return
policy, or speak to the retailer in person to get their specific
recommendation. On the other hand, Iwill does provide this memory
compatability guide:
http://www.iwillusa.com/supports/Com...?vID=91&PID=36

Upon Checking http://www.crucial.com , they show several motherboards
using the same i7505 chipset (including yours) are using this same
CL2.5 Module (but again I don't know if you can use 4 of them
together):
http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpe...4Z265S&cat=RAM

If you're forced to raise the memory timings with 4 modules, you might
first try raising the "Precharge" to a higher value. There really
isn't that great of a performance drop by using 2.5,2,2, memory
instead of 2,2,2, but of course you are building a high-end system so
I can understand wanting to get the utmost bandwidth, but it might be
easier to retain stability and have good performance by rasing the
memory bus MHz speed instead of lower CAS timing.

Of course extensive testing should be done with memtest86:
http://www.memtest86.com

Dave
Old July 28th 03, 07:00 AM
ali yousefi

Thank you so very much kony, your information were exteremly informative.
I am now looking at 2.5-2-2 or 2-3-3 in mushkin, infineon or micron. I
just have one
question there sometimes is a 4th digit in the timing that is advertised,
for example
2.5-3-3-7 what is the last digit(here 7) suppose to represent.
again thank you very much for your help.

by the way have you come across anywhere on the net that is selling
1GB DDR266 or higher with 2.5-2-2 timing?

thank you

Old July 28th 03, 07:40 AM
kony

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:00:14 GMT, "ali yousefi"
wrote:

Thank you so very much kony, your information were exteremly informative.
I am now looking at 2.5-2-2 or 2-3-3 in mushkin, infineon or micron. I
just have one
question there sometimes is a 4th digit in the timing that is advertised,
for example
2.5-3-3-7 what is the last digit(here 7) suppose to represent.
again thank you very much for your help.

The last digit is tRAS, lower is better, but the difference isn't as
significant as CAS or CMD.

by the way have you come across anywhere on the net that is selling
1GB DDR266 or higher with 2.5-2-2 timing?

Unfortunately no, or not that I'm aware of... many vendors mention
only the CAS rating, nothing more.

Dave

Old July 28th 03, 10:07 AM
Alien Zord

wrote:
Does anybody know if there are any manufacturer that makes 1GB

DDR266
cas2 2-2-2 timing. I am putting together a dual xeon system that has

room
for four memory modules and i want to put 4GB of memory.

Have you even confirmed that 4 1GB modules will run at 2-2-2 T1 on
that board? I would bet they won't, that at least you would have to
manually set the timings lower (if the motherboard doesn't do so
automatically), maybe to 2.5,3,3 just to have stability with THOSE
modules, but lower-spec modules may not work at all. Generally
registered memory is used in these situations, that's what I would
buy.

Are you both aware that most versions of Windows cannot allocate more
than 2GB of RAM to applications? All the RAM above 2GB can only be used
by Windows for itself. So in most situations the extra RAM is wasted.

Only Win2k and Win2003 Advanced Servers can allocate 3GB to applications
but even there some restrictions apply.