ASUS question

Old November 17th 04, 05:58 AM
Chris Martin

Default ASUS question

I'm a newbie so this question may seem silly, but I have an ASUS A9200
card and I just installed the ASUS WHQL driver again because I had to
reinstall my OS. There are also AGP Gart and WDM Capture drivers on
the CD-ROM that came with the ASUS card. My question is should I
install them?
I've had trouble with crashes so I don't want to install drivers
unless they're necessary

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old November 18th 04, 07:50 PM
Chris Martin

Thanks.
Does the AGP Gart driver have to be installed before the video driver?
I'm asking because I already installed the video card driver (that is
the ASUS WHQL driver).

"ASI Industries" wrote in message news:1100759664.fl5wCpUyT1dGlMDQtU/FWw@teranews...
Chris Martin wrote in article
. ..
I'm a newbie so this question may seem silly, but I have an ASUS A9200
card and I just installed the ASUS WHQL driver again because I had to
reinstall my OS. There are also AGP Gart and WDM Capture drivers on
the CD-ROM that came with the ASUS card. My question is should I
install them?
I've had trouble with crashes so I don't want to install drivers
unless they're necessary

Thanks in advance,
Chris

AGP Gart = mainboard chipset , yes install before you install video card
drivers.

WDM Capture drivers = If your card has video in (not DVI), yes, otherwise
no.

ASI Industries.

Old November 18th 04, 08:44 PM
ASI Industries

Does the AGP Gart driver have to be installed before the video driver?
Yes!

However there is a few AGP Gart drivers in-built in the ATI drivers anyway,
but they dont always work with all pc's, it really depends on your
mainboard's chipset, eg: AMD, Nvidia, SiS, VIA, get the agp drivers from
the chipset manufacturer website.

Uninstall current driver and change to Standard display (PCI VGA), install
your chipset drivers, direct x, then install video drivers, you would
probaly be better using the ATI drivers than Asus's as they are more
up-to-date.

Intel dont seem to need any AGP Gart drivers for some unknown reason.

What is your system and OS specs?

Andrew Mcintosh
ASI Industries.

Old November 19th 04, 06:00 PM
Chris Martin

Hi, Thanks. Here are my system specs:

Intel Pentium 4 2.4c Ghz (Bx80532pg2400d) W/512k Cache 800mhz
Abit Vi7 Via Pt800 Chipset Serial Ata150 Atx Form Factor 1xagp
Multiwave 256mb Pc3200 400mhz Non-Ecc Ddr Dimm
80 GB Western Digital Caviar SE Internal EIDE Hard Drive Wd800jb Eide
Ultra-Ata/66-100
Asus Radeon 9200se-T 128mb Ddr 8xagp W/Tv
Lite On 52x/32x/52x Cdrw W/Sw Ltr-52327/Sohr-5232s
Enermax Cs-5171lbfs-S Mid Tower W/350w Atx Power Supply
Sony 1.44mb Floppy Drive (Bare Drive)
Daewoo 19" Dynaflat 905df Monitor
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Motorla Cable Modem

running Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks,
Chris

Old November 19th 04, 06:13 PM
Chris Martin

P.S. I'll also have to check if I already have directx installed. If I
do, should I uninstall and reinstall? And should I get the latest
version of DirectX or use the one that came on the disk with the part?

Old November 20th 04, 06:27 AM
ASI Industries

Hi Chris, thanks for your specs, as for Direct X it cannot be uninstalled,
the current version is DX9.0c, you can check your current version by
clicking START, RUN, and type DXDIAG, click OK or press the Return key.

If you dont have that version download it from microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/directx

Abit VI7
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=133

I notice Abit are still offering ancient chipset drivers, download the
latest, i use them too in all of my systems including my Tyan S1590S AT
(not ATX) Via 586 socket super 7 with an Amd k6-2-550mhz.

VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 chipset drivers V4.53:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

I notice you said `I had to reinstall my OS' is your hard drive a single
80gb partition?

As when you format the drive to re-install you loose everything, if you use
two or more partitions you would only loose what was on drive C.

My system is setup in a triple boot via PowerQuest BootMagic and each drive
C: is invisable to the others.

Samsung SP0411N ATA100 40gb
Msdos 6.22 C: 1gb Fat16
Win98se C: 2gb fat 32
Drivers D: 2gb fat32
Games E: 8gb fat32
Net F: 2gb fat32
Misc G: 8gb fat32
Cdrw H: 8gb fat32
Winxp C: 6.2gb fat32

The primary reason i use fat32 over ntfs is i can turn off Bootmagic,
reboot, unhide Winxp's partition, reboot to win98se and defrag and optimise
`Pagefile.sys' with Norton utils speed disk and wipe the file slacks and
free space with Wipeinfo, remove files, folders, trojans, viruses and not 1
single message pops up saying `You cant remove this as windows needs it!'
like you get in winXP!

When i am installing software on win98se / XP, rather than just clicking
`Next, Next, Finish', i would do `Next, Browse (pick another drive and or
folder), Next, Finish'.

ATI
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

General pc info: