Card suggestions for video in/out, with editing in Premiere

Old August 30th 04, 12:07 AM
Andre Willey

Default Card suggestions for video in/out, with editing in Premiere

Hi folks,

I've currently got a Matrox RT2000 video editing system on my PC, but I
think the graphics card (Matrox Millennium G400 Flex) has partly died (it
will only boot into VGA mode, and the correct card drivers refuse to
reinstall... unless this is a known problem with WinXP SP2 which I
installed last week?). Anyway, I rarely need realtime dual-stream video
display any more, and am toying with the idea of replacing the whole lot
with an ATI 9800-based card with full S-video in/out connectors and a DVI
monitor output.

However, could someone answer me a few questions?

a) When working in Adobe Premiere, if I'm using my main system monitor on
the DVI connector, can the current project be shown via the video port?
(i.e. can whatever Premiere displays in its video window be shown on a TV-
monitor at the same time, to see how it will look in the real world). I'm
not talking about complex dual-channel effects stuff, just basic video
playback. Same goes for the video output from Power-DVD, Windows Media
Player, etc.

b) The Matrox card allows me to capture from analogue sources directly to a
DV-compliant AVI file, but I think some of the compression work is probably
being done in the card. If I want to capture high-quality (i.e. up to
domestic DV standard) what are my options? Is capturing in MPEG-2
sufficient if I'm planning to edit it in Premiere and maybe record back to
DV tape via firewire? Will I be able to tell the difference? My system is a
couple of years old, 1Ghz Athlon based (750Mb DDR memory, but with more
recent nice large, fast hard drives).

c) Can I change between PAL and NTSC capture/output at will, or do the PAL
cards lock me into working with PAL video all the time? I occasionally need
to capture/edit NTSC, and the Matrox has never been able to switch easily.

d) Can I capture directly from within Premiere, or do I need to capture
using a separate utility? Not vital, but would be nice.

Any help, comments, suggestions, etc. as to what cards (if any) would do
what I need would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Andre
--
Andre Willey

Address edited to avoid spam. Please remove the letters shown in CAPITALS
from my quoted email address to contact me directly. Thanks!
Visit http://www.cix.co.uk/~neverland/dlp/ for the Disneyland-Paris FAQ
List.