New build w/ P4C800-E--suggestions?

Old June 4th 04, 06:49 PM
Michael S.

Default New build w/ P4C800-E--suggestions?

Am getting ready to do a new build based on the P4C800-E with P4 Northwood
3.2, Raid 0 Raptors, Corsair TwinX 1024-3200C2 Pro DIMMs, Radeon X800 Pro
Video, Audigy 2ZX Platinum Audio, Hardcano fan controller, Turbo-Cool
510-ATX PSU, Cooler Master ATC-201B case, Plextor optical IDE drives, etc.

Since this is the first new build that I have done since dinosaurs walked
the earth with Intel 486 CPUs, I would welcome any tidbits of advice in
setting up the mobo and BIOS (I do plan to disable the Promise controller
and run the RAID 0 and IDE channels off of the Intel controller). Advice
and suggestions appreciated.

MikeSp

Old June 4th 04, 11:58 PM
Thomas A. Horsley

Sounds fairly similar to my system.

Assuming you are installing Windows XP, the only slightly tricky part is
making sure you have a good floppy with the Intel Raid drivers on it (for
some reason I had to unzip the archive twice - the first floppy didn't
work), and pressing the function key that tells XP to load the drivers from
the floppy (I've forgot which F2? F6?) quick like a bunny almost as soon as
XP boots - it prompts you to press the key almost the instant the XP CD
boots, but the prompt stays on the screen for less time than it takes to
read it :-).

Note that it doesn't do anything when you press the key, the actual
prompting for the floppy happens much later, but it won't happen at all if
you don't press the key first.

Of course if you don't want to install a floppy drive, you can also go
over to http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ and figure out how to build a custom
XP boot CD with things like extra drivers, service packs, etc already
rolled into the initial install. (And it gives you something to work
on while waiting for all you mail order parts to arrive :-).
--
== The *Best* political site URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/ ==+

email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley Free Software and Politics ==+
Old June 5th 04, 04:40 AM
zoomer

Just like Thomas, your system is almost exactly like mine. I spent two
weeks putting it together. Most of the time was building then rebuilding
while benchmarking different RAID settups. Like Thomas says, you gotta have
that floppy with the Intel stuff on it. Check out the ASUS website for the
latest driver. Pretty easy, download and unzip the file. One of the
unzipped files is a "build floppy" executible that will make a floppy for
you. Follow the manual where is says how to set up the bios for the intel
RAID. When you boot with the XP CD you will be asked to press F6 if you
have any third party drivers to install. This is on the floppy you made.
Then, when XP is ready you will be asked to press S to do the RAID driver
install. After XP is installed you should then immediately install . . . .
.. (I forgot, you should flash your bios to the latest, its also on the ASUS
web site ). . . .the sound max drivers for the sound to work. Another piece
of advice .. . . keep your internet disconnected untill you have both your
personal firewall and virus protect installed . . . I got nailed big time.
I was never able to get the Gigabit LAN to work.