Changing Memory Timing Causes Windows XP Bluescreen

Old April 18th 04, 02:39 PM
Randy Snyder

Default Changing Memory Timing Causes Windows XP Bluescreen

I have the Asus P4P800 motherboard and Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2. This
memory has a supported timing of 2-3-3-6. If I have the SPD Auto set to
enabled, the system post and Windows XP starts up without any issues.

If I disable SPD and set the memory timing to 2-3-3-6, the system post
correctly; however, Windows XP gives me the bluescreen of death.

The system is not overclocked and Windows XP was installed with SPD enabled.

This doesn't seem like an issue with the hardware, just windows
quarkiness. Has anyone else seen this or found a solution?

~Randy
Old April 18th 04, 02:48 PM
Ben Pope

Randy Snyder wrote:
I have the Asus P4P800 motherboard and Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2. This
memory has a supported timing of 2-3-3-6. If I have the SPD Auto set to
enabled, the system post and Windows XP starts up without any issues.

If I disable SPD and set the memory timing to 2-3-3-6, the system post
correctly; however, Windows XP gives me the bluescreen of death.

That's weird. With it set to Auto, what does Aida32 or any other suitable
program report the timings as?

What is VDimm?

The system is not overclocked and Windows XP was installed with SPD
enabled.

This doesn't seem like an issue with the hardware, just windows
quarkiness. Has anyone else seen this or found a solution?

It sounds exactly like a hardware issue, and not at all like Windows
quirkiness.

Ben

Old April 19th 04, 02:23 AM
Randy Snyder

Ben Pope wrote:
Randy Snyder wrote:

I have the Asus P4P800 motherboard and Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2. This
memory has a supported timing of 2-3-3-6. If I have the SPD Auto set to
enabled, the system post and Windows XP starts up without any issues.

If I disable SPD and set the memory timing to 2-3-3-6, the system post
correctly; however, Windows XP gives me the bluescreen of death.

That's weird. With it set to Auto, what does Aida32 or any other suitable
program report the timings as?

What is VDimm?

The system is not overclocked and Windows XP was installed with SPD
enabled.

This doesn't seem like an issue with the hardware, just windows
quarkiness. Has anyone else seen this or found a solution?

It sounds exactly like a hardware issue, and not at all like Windows
quirkiness.

Ben

OK, I reset the BIOS defaults and had the same issue. I flashed the BIOS
to the newest version, which was only a month older than the one I had
installed. This corrected the problem.

Randy
Old April 19th 04, 08:58 PM
M.L

Hi,

I've read somewhere that Corsair was aware of that SPD issue.

They just advise to switch to manual and adjust the expected values. New sticks will be corrected but no aftersales exchange just
for that.

Mike