A7N8X problem after installing Nvidia multimedia update

Old August 5th 03, 08:37 PM
Kath Stennett

Default A7N8X problem after installing Nvidia multimedia update

Can someone help with this problem please?

We had our system working just fine. Then one son downloaded and installed,
from the windows update site, the "Nvidia Multimedia Software update" dated
June 17.

After this all the sound had gone. My other son who uses the computer most
often is furious!

Anyway we have re-installed the original drivers from the CD which came with
the Mobo and now the sound does work. However the Nvidia Control panel does
not. When trying to open the control panel we get the Error "An unsupported
operation was attempted". The control panel then opens but the front "main"
tab is completely blank and the "Midi" and "Environment" tabs are also
partly blank.

What can we do to put this right?

Kath

Old August 5th 03, 09:08 PM
Kath Stennett

Right. We have now tried that. The "Midi" and "environment" tabs are now
back to normal but not the "Main" tab.

We did close down the Nvidia software before we started.

One question though. The installation asks that you close all programs. We
could not see a way to easily close Norton Anti Virus, there is no "Close"
option on it that we can see and it does not appear in the task manager. We
"ended" a few processes we though were assosiated with it and the icon
disappeared from the tray .. but maybe it was really still running? How do
we make sure all unnecessary processes are closed?

Kath

"rstlne" wrote in message
Get the newest update from Nvidia and it will hopefully fix your problem..
select Plantform/nForce Drivers
then select Unified Driver
then select your OS
Then click GO
click on one of the download sites and follow the instructions, also I

would
suggest closing all the "Nforce" software that is open at the time as mine
didnt install the sound stuff correctly after reboot until AFTER I closed
it..

Old August 5th 03, 09:12 PM
Ben Pope

Kath Stennett wrote:
Right. We have now tried that. The "Midi" and "environment" tabs are
now back to normal but not the "Main" tab.

We did close down the Nvidia software before we started.

One question though. The installation asks that you close all
programs. We could not see a way to easily close Norton Anti Virus,
there is no "Close" option on it that we can see and it does not
appear in the task manager. We "ended" a few processes we though were
assosiated with it and the icon disappeared from the tray .. but
maybe it was really still running? How do we make sure all
unnecessary processes are closed?

I never close NAV when installing software/drivers, I don't think thats a
problem. Quite often you will see closing AV programs mentioned explicitly
when updating software/drivers but have never found it an issue.

Ben

Old August 5th 03, 09:26 PM
Kath Stennett

No I've never had a problem with it before either frankly, probably grasping
at straws but we obviously do still have a bit of a problem. So Does anyone
have any other ideas?

I should have said earlier by the way the platform is Windows 2000 pro

Kath

Old August 6th 03, 08:48 AM
Big George

Hi Kath,

Run the same OS Win2k Pro and had the very same problem, Twice while
updating nforce drivers.

The fix I found to work was this:

1: Un-install all Nvidia Drivers,Nforce2 & graphics
2: Re-boot and cancel all new hardware found box's
3: Install the correct driver set, I currently have a few sets around and
can't remember which version I have used twice:

One of these 2 though: nforce 3.44 BETA or 2.42

Sorry but it has been a while since I did the fix,System been running ok no
problems

If you need the drivers email me and i'll sort ya out.

George

Replay addy is valid

"Kath Stennett" wrote in message
We've tried all the ideas posted above so far - including uninstalling all
drivers rebooting and re-installing from the CD thatc came with the mobo.

The sitiuation is still the same.

When the Control panel is opened we get a message "An unsupported
operation was attempted". the control panel opens but the "main" tab is
completely blank.

Any more ideas?

Kath

Old August 6th 03, 10:03 AM
Ben Pope

Kath Stennett wrote:
We've tried all the ideas posted above so far - including
uninstalling all drivers rebooting and re-installing from the CD
thatc came with the mobo.

The sitiuation is still the same.

When the Control panel is opened we get a message "An unsupported
operation was attempted". the control panel opens but the "main" tab
is completely blank.

Any more ideas?

This is either due to you using the english version of the most recent
driver (some codepage support appears to be FUBAR), try the international
download.

Or you are using an inconsistent driver and control panel version - quite
likely if you have installed the MS Update.

Ben