Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

Old June 16th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

{Cross-posted to linux.redhat.install}

I was given a Compaq Proliant 2500 server and a Compaq Storage System
last week just to tinker with at home. My goal is to install Fedora
Core 5 (so I can learn more about the Linux environment) and to become
more comfortable with SCSI drive management. I'm not a true Linux
newbie, but I have only administered existing Linux/Apache servers at
work and my only installs have been on desktops with IDE drives.

The server has the Compaq Smart Array 2/P RAID Controller installed and
two 2.1 GB SCSI drives in the drive cage. The Storage System is also
full of drives, but I am waiting for the SCSI cable to attach it to the
server, because he forgot to grab that when he brought me the rest of
the stuff.

I was able to download and use the SmartStart 5.50 CD to erase the
system and congifure the array. I told it to optimize the system for a
Linux install and at the end, it told me it would restart and I should
follow the OS instructions to continue my install.

I put CD#1 in and let the system boot to it.

The install started and reached a certain point and hung for a very
long time. I cycled the power and tried one mor time. It hangs in the
same place every time.

Here's the text that is on the screen when it hangs:

CPU: Intel Pentium Pro Stepping 07
Checking 'hit' instruction... OK.
ExtINT not setup in hardware but reported by MP table
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
...TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=0 pin2=0
...MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
....trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ...
...... (found pin 0) ...works.
checking if image is initramfs... it is
Freeing initrd memory: 4859k freed
NET: Registered protocal family 16
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0068, last bus=2
PCI: Using configuration type 1
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20060127
ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
usbco registered new driver usbfs
usbco registered new driver hub
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI BIOS passed nonexistent PCI bus 2!
PCI: Device 0000:00:00.0 not found by BIOS
PCI: Device 0000:00:14.0 not found by BIOS
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:1000000@42000000 for
0000:01:06.0
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:0d.0

Things I am uncertain about:

Since I don't have the SCSI cable for attaching the Storage System, the
SCSI connector on th rear of the server is unterminated. I don't know
if this model is self terminating, or if I need a terminator. If so,
could that be what is hanging it up?

Could it be a bad RAM issue? The system has, I believe, the 64MB DIMM
and two 128MB DIMMs. Memory counts up fine, but it counts to only 274K
and some change. I'm assuming that's a shared memory situation.

By the way, I tried just for fun and giggles late last night booting to
the Knoppix 5.0.1 CD. It wouldn't load either, but I didn't get the
text from that error, other than it was unable to load and was loading
instead a minimal enivornment that gave me a prompt only.

I really want to get this going. Any hints?

Thanks

Steve

Old June 16th 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

boot from your smartstart CD, run the SCU choose your OS type. It should be
something to the affect of, Unix, Other, Linux. I had to do this on an old
6400R (yes, i know its newer but that isnt the point) before VMWARE ESX
Server 2.5.1 would do more than 1 processor.

Your system should not have a shared memory thingy going on. try moving them
around and see what happenes. Does the boot stop at the same point? does the
amount of memory reported during the POST change ? Try it with a single 128
and see what happens.

Also, grab SS5.50 and burn that at the slowest possible speed (you are doing
SS5.0 you got from someone, no?)

- LC

Also, there are loads of posts in this group about installing various
linuxes on proliant machines. Google for them.

Old June 16th 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Steve,

I'm not a Fedora Core user so I don't know which kernel it uses.

The Linux kernel doesn't understand the way that the Proliant 2500 (and
other early models) reports memory. I'm betting linux is only seeing
16meg of ram.

The fix for this is to specify memory at boot time.

For the 2.4 Kernel
mem=exactmap mem=640K@0M mem=(actual ram - 1m)M@1M

For the 2.6 Kernel
memmap=exactmap memmap=640K@0M memmap=(actual ram - 1M)@1M

append the appropriate text when you select the kernel to boot from on
a system with 128 megs of ram it woul look like:

linux memmap=exactmap memmap=640K@0M memmap=127M@1M

Good Luck!
VinceV

Old June 16th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

Oh, wait. Here's something I should have remembered before, but didn't.
Remember that "craziest thing I ever heard" thing from the last thread?
I (again for some STRANGE reason) have better luck when I burn the FC5
boot disk at the slowest possible speed. Don't ask me why, it just
works better.

I think we should all conclude that the ProLiants have a congenital
shortcoming in the "IDE Bus" area. They, possibly, just didn't care
that much about it, since they are designed for SCSI drives. Even when
I replace the stock CD Drive with a newer, faster one, it still only
reads a BOOTABLE disk that has been burned at a slow speed. It has to
be the IDE bus that is brain damaged. It's almost as if the designers
(at the time these machines were made) had 1X, 2X, or maybe 4X CD
Drives available...and it never occurred to them that the world may
someday develop faster drives (and disks burned at faster speeds).

What I should do is put a 1600 up on the bench and runs some
benchmarks...first with the original 4X drive and then with a new 52X.
If the results show read/seek times to be close to the same, we are on
to something.

Jeff

Old June 19th 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I am using SmartStart v. 5.50, burned at the slowest speed. When I ran
it, I did choose Linux.

Just to prove I wasn't nuts, I started from scrathc this weekend with a
System Erase and told it I was installing Win2K Advanced (I had an
120-day eval copy from when I used to teach). Much to my dismay, Win2K
loaded up fine.

I'm thinking the Memory Allocation thing may in fact be the issue. I'm
going to try first re-burnming the FC5 ISOs at the slowest speed, just
because I saw the benefit of that before. But the fact that it DOES
boot to the FC Disk 1, but fails during the hardware scan, seems to
indicate a different issue than burn speed.

I spent most of the weekend working on a presentation we were doing for
$$ so I ran out of time to tinker with it.

Thanks for the continued feedback.

Old June 20th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

I have installed FC5 on a 2500. A few things to watch

1. Make sure you use the memory statements as described in other postings

2. Make sure you do the system erase as described etc..

3. Test each of the FC5 discs using the CDROM drive you are going to
install from. The FC5 disks are larger (more data) than previous FC
releases and I have seen a number of early CDROM drives that will fail
to read all the data. If you can't read part of the disc and need what's
on it you'll get a failed installation - happened to me with a DL360
(IDE drive) and a set of FC5 discs which worked perfectly on another system.
Old June 20th 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

OK, Fedora Core and I were at odds this evening. I decided to turn the
tables

1) I ran SmartStart to begin from scratch.
2) I found my old Redhat Linux 9 CDs.
3) I booted to CD #1
4) At the install prompt, (after a couple of mis-steps) I typed "linux
mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=128M@1m"
5) I was pleased to see that no errors came up. The install began and
I did a custom install of RH9.

I must've made 1 mistake however. At the end, the install recommended
I make a boot diskette, which I did. When I restarted, the server
wouldn't boot to the hard disk. When I put the diskette in, it booted
to a prompt. I re-typed "linux mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=128M@1m"
at the prompt, and up it came. I was able to log in as root.

Then I edited my grub.conf file to include the "mem" stuff in the
kernal line.

I have now downloaded apt and am doing an upgrade of RH9. Tomorrow, I
am going to try to figure out why I can't boot to the hard disk. Once
that is resolved, I will begin attempting to upgrade to FC1 and then
work my way up to FC5. There seem to be some good instructions on the
web for that process.

Thabks again for the help!

Steve

Old June 20th 06, 05:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

NewsReader wrote:
The FC5 disks are larger (more data) than previous FC
releases and I have seen a number of early CDROM drives that will fail
to read all the data. If you can't read part of the disc and need what's
on it you'll get a failed installation - happened to me with a DL360
(IDE drive) and a set of FC5 discs which worked perfectly on another system.

That makes sense to me. The 2500 came, stock, with a 2x or 4x CD Drive.
Are you suggesting that this drive should be upgraded first? I know
that a good working 48x drive can be picked up for around $5...and you
would certainly be happier down the road.

Jeff

Old June 20th 06, 01:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
NewsReader wrote:

The FC5 disks are larger (more data) than previous FC
releases and I have seen a number of early CDROM drives that will fail
to read all the data. If you can't read part of the disc and need what's
on it you'll get a failed installation - happened to me with a DL360
(IDE drive) and a set of FC5 discs which worked perfectly on another system.

That makes sense to me. The 2500 came, stock, with a 2x or 4x CD Drive.
Are you suggesting that this drive should be upgraded first? I know
that a good working 48x drive can be picked up for around $5...and you
would certainly be happier down the road.

Jeff

I'm suggesting that the media check is a required part of the install
process and should be completed for all of the discs to determine if the
drive can read them. If you also want more speed, go for the upgraded
drive. But you need to be sure the discs are fully readable on whatever
drive you choose as a part of troubleshooting an installation problem.

It's a black-box problem-solving exercise. You have two objects which do
not work reliably together. Which one is bad? Maybe both are... How can
you figure it out...
Old June 20th 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

The FC5 install is failing on me before I ever get to the "test the
media" level. The only opportunity I have to interact with it is at
the linux prompt. That's where I used the "exactmem" commands.

After that, it prepares to install for about 1 minute and hangs.

The optical drive in the system is a newer HP CD/RW. I was actually
thinking about backing it down to a standard CD-ROM before I got RH9 to
load to see if my problem was too much drive as opposed to too little.

You're the first I've seen who said they were actually able to install
FC5 on a 2500. That's good news. Mine has dual PPro 200 CPUs and
320MB of RAM.

I ran XWindows last night and it worked great, but when I logged out, I
got an error that the system had crashed out of the interface and it
hung up the system.

Now that I'm on RH9, I ran an apt update/upgrade and d/l 161 updates.
That took nearly an hour, so I went to bed. Tonight I plan to attempt
a kernal upgrade. Then I want to begin the RH9 to FC1 upgrade.

Steve

NewsReader wrote:
I have installed FC5 on a 2500. A few things to watch

1. Make sure you use the memory statements as described in other postings

2. Make sure you do the system erase as described etc..

3. Test each of the FC5 discs using the CDROM drive you are going to
install from. The FC5 disks are larger (more data) than previous FC
releases and I have seen a number of early CDROM drives that will fail
to read all the data. If you can't read part of the disc and need what's
on it you'll get a failed installation - happened to me with a DL360
(IDE drive) and a set of FC5 discs which worked perfectly on another system.

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 2 May 8th 05 09:58 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 27th 04 12:50 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 20th 04 01:05 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM