Overclocking sucess XP 2500+ Barton on ASRock K7S8XE V3.0

Old October 22nd 03, 12:14 PM
Andreas Scheer

Default Overclocking sucess XP 2500+ Barton on ASRock K7S8XE V3.0

Hi,

just for information:
AMD XP2500+ Barton (166 MHz fsb) runs here with fsb 200 on the new ASRock
K7S8XE V3.0 prime95 stable for hours without rising up the vco 2,2 GHz
physical clock. Related to AMDs p-rating it should be around XP3200+. The
cpu stepping is AQZEA.RAM: MDT PC3200, 512 MB, CL 2,5. The cpu temperature
under load is 53°C only (room 21°C). The cooler is a Arctic Copper Silent
pro 2 TC.

Next days I will try to increase the multi from 11 to 12.

So far it's a fantastic cpu, I got the last one with this stepping from my
dealer :-)

Bye
Andreas (Germany)

Old October 22nd 03, 05:42 PM
Cheah TE

| without rising up the vcore

AMD's default Vcore`s seem always unnecessarily high : my K6III400
& D750's 2.4 & 1.6v are enough for 460 & 825mhz : [i] waste
electricity & aircon bill [ii] produce useless & dreadful ( *esp in hot
climate ) heat for users who don't OC [iii] the excess heat slow cpu &
n-bridge [iv] reduce maximum ambient tmprtre acceptable*, life of cpu
& n-bridge, own popularity* & sales.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:46 AM
Andreas Scheer

Next days I will try to increase the multi from 11 to 12.

Did it yesterday:

206 MHz fsb, 11x , Vcore at default & +5%, - didn't boot
200 MHz fsb, 11,5x, Vcore at default - hangs during boot
200 MHz fsb, 11,5x, Vcore +5% - is running, but not stable in prime95
200 MHz fsb, 12x, Vcore +5% - didn't boot
202 MHz fsb, 11x, Vcore at default - runs prime stable, and so I will let
it work. This corresponds to a p-rating of XP 3220+ (regarding Central Brain
Identifier).

I could surely try to lower the fsb to get the chance for higher the multi,
but for me the fsb has first priority to improve the bottleneck between cpu
& ram.

The K7S8XE does not supports to adjust the voltage by a certain value, there
is just only one option in the bios to increase the vcore by 5%.

Bye
Andreas

Old October 23rd 03, 04:49 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:46:30 +0200, Andreas Scheer wrote:

The K7S8XE does not supports to adjust the voltage by a certain value, there
is just only one option in the bios to increase the vcore by 5%.

One piece of wire in the socket will get you 1.85v + 5% (if you want it),
almost 1.95v.

Old October 24th 03, 09:12 AM
Andreas Scheer

Wes Newell wrote:

One piece of wire in the socket will get you 1.85v + 5% (if you want
it), almost 1.95v.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I decided to live with 200x11 until I really
need more power. My system is rather fast now and with 53°C acceptable warm,
in spite of air cooling. I will enjoy it for a while ;-)

Bye
Andreas

Old October 25th 03, 06:17 AM
mark

3200rating is nice, I have mine running like that at 1.75vcore. But in
sandra it compares to a 2700xp TB cpu.