XP 2500 Barton CPU Temperature question

Old October 20th 03, 09:24 AM
Bolton Gate

Default XP 2500 Barton CPU Temperature question

Hi

I have been overclocking my new XP 2500 Barton CPU (PIB) which is running at
3200Hz (11 x 200MHz) on an Asus A7N8X V2 Del MB with CPU voltage as set at
1.75V, my Crucial PC3200 memory is set to 100%, agp set to 66MHz and memory
voltage left at 2.6V at with timings 3/3/3/8. I had to make some small
changes as each time I ran Morrowind the game bombed out after 5 mins. The
changes made were upping the CPU voltage from 1.65 to 1.75 and relaxing the
memory timings to as SPD from 2.5/3/3/7 to 3/3/3/8. My pc seems to be
running very fast and stable but when running Morrowind for 3 hours my CPU
temp in asus probe is showing to be running at 61 C. Is this too high?
Will this damage the CPU? Should I reduce the overclocking to say 10 X 200
MHz?

My System Spec is:

ASUS A7N8X_Deluxe V2 (Asus 1.16 drivers (nForce drivers) installed)

AMD XP2500+ Barton @ 2200 MHz show up as 3200 Barton with AMD HSF PIB

2x512 Crucial PC3200 DDR Ram Dual Channel Running at SPD timings

Graphics card Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Fireblade Edition Running at 400/660
with Cat 3.8 drivers installed DX 9.1B

Enermax 350 Watt PSU with twin fans running at full.

Two Coolermaster 80mm case fans (front sucking in / rear blowing out hot
air)

WD 120Gb Serial ATA HDD

1 PCI mounted twin cooler fans blowing onto the HDD

Thanks in advance

Bryan

Old October 20th 03, 09:43 AM
Ben Pope

Bolton Gate wrote:
[...]

Eurgh, that be some old drivers.

That is high, especially as thats socket temp, not diode. Use MBM5, that'll
give you the full details.

Ben

Old October 20th 03, 01:36 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Bolton Gate" wrote in message
[...]

As you don't tell us what your case and room temperatures are, anything in
this response is a guess. I can tell you (as an Asus A7N8X user) that the
temperature you report (61C) is the socket temperature and, as such, is too
high.
As you appear to be using the HSF that came with your CPU, that's the
logical starting place. You're overclocking and increasing voltage, so a HSF
rated for 3200+ and up is indicated.
There are any number of good candidate HSF's, but I use the Vantec Aeroflow
on both my 2500+ CPU's (on Asus A7N8X Deluxes) running at 11x200. Using
Antec SOHO cases (1 80mm in, two 80mm out), my temps a CPU Socket = 44C
under full load , case ~ 25C, room 22C.

Old October 20th 03, 08:20 PM
Steve Vai

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:24:05 +0100, "Bolton Gate"
wrote:

Hi

I have been overclocking my new XP 2500 Barton CPU (PIB) which is running at
3200Hz (11 x 200MHz) on an Asus A7N8X V2 Del MB with CPU voltage as set at
1.75V, my Crucial PC3200 memory is set to 100%, agp set to 66MHz and memory
voltage left at 2.6V at with timings 3/3/3/8. I had to make some small
changes as each time I ran Morrowind the game bombed out after 5 mins. The
changes made were upping the CPU voltage from 1.65 to 1.75 and relaxing the
memory timings to as SPD from 2.5/3/3/7 to 3/3/3/8. My pc seems to be
running very fast and stable but when running Morrowind for 3 hours my CPU
temp in asus probe is showing to be running at 61 C. Is this too high?
Will this damage the CPU? Should I reduce the overclocking to say 10 X 200
MHz?

ive got my barton 2500 running at 11x200 with 1.675v, right now idle
not under load it is jumping between 58 and 59C on the die itself, it
gets to around 65 - 66c under load, if those temps are from the die
then they're a little warm (like mine) if its the socket temp, add an
extra 10c or 15c even onto that and thats your die temp, pretty hot
imo
Old October 20th 03, 10:33 PM
Hulot

The fan that comes with the barton is definintely wimpy. Replaced
with an old one (a Thermaltake that came with a tbird 1.4), the temps
went down about 8C.

I don't mean to imply that you are as stupid as I am, but is it
possible you mounted the heat sink incorrectly? The mounting hardware
will work in one of two ways, but only one way is correct. I had it
the wrong way round and the core ended up half on, half off the copper
center of the heat sink.

Old October 21st 03, 01:01 AM
Hippy Paul

It is a bit warm I think, but any damage will probably be a long term effect
of shortening its life when it is too old for you to care about it.

I have a Barton 2500+ at 2340MHz with a vcore of 1.85v and currently have
readings of 39C (socket) 19C (board) 48C (diode) after being under full
load for over 14 hours - mind you it is a bit chilly - but this is on a sub
£10 heat sink

So factors like what is your ambient temperature must be taken into
consideration- eg is it right next to a radiator or something
How much of a difference is there between the cpu and the case temperature.
How much of a heat increase did the overclock create,
- without this information it is difficult to get a good picture.

Are there any pieces of fluff or eyelash stuck in the heat compound - I had
an eyelash fall off once and lie between the heatsink and cpu die - took the
temperatures up to 70C on the socket and made motherboard monitor kick in.

Old October 21st 03, 03:11 AM
Michael Brown

Bolton Gate wrote:
[...]

If that's a diode temp it's fine (normally ranges from 55 to 75 deg C for
air cooling, anyone under 55 deg C isn't measuring it properly). If it's a
socket temp then it's possibly high (if the MB does no correction) or about
right (if the MB does do correction).

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old October 21st 03, 11:53 AM
Ben Pope

Bolton Gate wrote:
Thanks for your replies.

The room temperature is around 20C and the case temp as reported by Asus
Probe is 22C after 3 hours of heavy use. I used the PC last night for
2-1/2 hours playing Morrowind and got Case 22C again and CPU 60C. How
can I find out if this is the socket temperature or the diode temperature
as the only places I can look is either in the bios or by running asus
probe?

Read my previous post to you.

BIOS and probe don't show diode, they show socket.

Just to reiterate... use MBM5.

Ben

Old October 21st 03, 12:24 PM
Bolton Gate

Ben

I did read you previous post! What is MBM5 when its around not heard of
that one, what site is it on! Try to be a little more helpful than just
stating MBM5 as we are not all experts. Will this program record the
temperature during use? as it take my PC over 38 minutes to reach 60C?

PS. I haven't upgraded Asus NForce drivers because of all the problem that
the process of driver removal will create. If you remember my previous post
many people had problem with the upgrade and I have no wish to do a
reformat.

Bryan