Zalman flower and overclocking a Barton 2500

Old August 3rd 03, 05:44 PM
Simon Finnigan

Default Zalman flower and overclocking a Barton 2500

I`m running a barton 2500+ Athlon, and want to try and keep the noise down.
My case is a Thermaltake XSazer III, and has two fans blowing from outside
directly onto the CPU location, and a further two suckong air out from the
side of the CPU location. The noiseiest part of the system is the
heatsink/fan I`m using, so I was wondering if a Zalman flower would let me
overclock but still keep the system running happily?

Also, I`ve got a heat related question. I`ve got a temp sensor on the
underneath of the CPU (taped directly onto the chip) which reports temps of
50C running standard speed, or 60C when overclocked to a 3200+. The
heatsink itself is cool to the touch in both cases, but the machine is rock
stable. Is this normal? On my old system, the heatsink was hot all the
time. Is there a problem with my new system, or is this a good sign? :-)

--
Mandrake 9 - £3.00 including first class delivery (3 CD`s)
Debian 3.0R1 - £7.00 including first class delivery (7 CD`s)

Old August 3rd 03, 06:48 PM
For example John Smith

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Basically, silent cooling and overclocking don't mix very well (unless
you move to water-cooling). Is the Zalman even rated for 3200+? Your
best bet on air would be something like the Thermaltake SLK-900 with a
92mm fan - bigger fans move more air at lower revs = less noise.

What HSF are you currently using? It's cool either because it has a
shroud around the fins or it's not conducting the heat away from the cpu
very well.

Old August 3rd 03, 06:57 PM
Simon Finnigan

"For example John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I`m not sure what the Zalman is rated to, hence the question :-) Plus
ratings aren`t the be-all and end-all. The specs might say 3200+, but
someone here might have something else to say about the subject :-)

I named the Zalman because that has a fan with it that blows over it. I
wouldn`t need that fan at all with the fans in my system, which would
essentially make it a silent cooling solution, as it would be introducing no
extra noise over the bare minimum already associated with my case.

What HSF are you currently using? It's cool either because it has a
shroud around the fins or it's not conducting the heat away from the cpu
very well.

Currently running an Akasa AK-824CU-BL XP3000+ Blue LED Cooler

I`m fairly certain it doesn`t have a shroud. I thought that that might be
the reason (bad thermal contact) but considering the temperature in my room
now, 50C is excellent. My old machine (Athlon 1.4GHz old style core) was
running at 60-65C when the room was cooler. I`m not massively bothered,
since I do want to change to a quieter cooler, but it`d be nice to know :-)

Old August 3rd 03, 06:57 PM
methylenedioxy

The flower cooler SHOULDN'T be used to overclock that cpu, it isn't rated
much higher than what you have, basically I am running it with an XP2600 and
thats the top rated speed for tbred cpu's.....(according to zalman
themselves), dn't think the Bartons will be much higher either, think it was
XP3000 IIRC.

Old August 3rd 03, 08:06 PM
Tony Houghton

In ,
Simon Finnigan wrote:

I`m running a barton 2500+ Athlon, and want to try and keep the noise down.
My case is a Thermaltake XSazer III, and has two fans blowing from outside
directly onto the CPU location, and a further two suckong air out from the
side of the CPU location. The noiseiest part of the system is the
heatsink/fan I`m using, so I was wondering if a Zalman flower would let me
overclock but still keep the system running happily?

There are better coolers than the Zalman. If you want to overclock and
be quiet then it probably is worth investing in something heavyweight
like the Thermalright someone else mentioned. But you'll need a
motherboard with mounting holes for it. If you don't have the mounting
holes, a Swiftech MCXC370 with a 60-80mm fan adaptor and good 80mm fan
is probably about the best, but an Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 TC is
probably almost as good, much cheaper, and saves swapping the fans.

If your existing heatsink's doing its job properly it should feel quite
hot if the CPU really is running as high as 60C - besides keeping the
CPU much cooler than that in the first place. Have you tried reseating
it?

--
Use Reply-To and DO NOT remove .nospam when replying
Old August 4th 03, 12:25 AM
Tim Auton

Tony Houghton wrote:
In ,
Simon Finnigan wrote:

I`m running a barton 2500+ Athlon, and want to try and keep the noise down.
My case is a Thermaltake XSazer III, and has two fans blowing from outside
directly onto the CPU location, and a further two suckong air out from the
side of the CPU location. The noiseiest part of the system is the
heatsink/fan I`m using, so I was wondering if a Zalman flower would let me
overclock but still keep the system running happily?

There are better coolers than the Zalman. If you want to overclock and
be quiet then it probably is worth investing in something heavyweight
like the Thermalright someone else mentioned. But you'll need a
motherboard with mounting holes for it.

The Thermalright SLK800 and 900 come in versions which use the
mounting holes or just the clips on the socket (look for a U after the
name for mouting-hole versions). I wouldn't advise moving a PC with a
"clip-only" one in place though - they weigh over half a kilo and have
a narrower base than most heatsinks.

Tim