Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

{Cross-posted to linux.redhat.install}

I was given a Compaq Proliant 2500 server and a Compaq Storage System
last week just to tinker with at home. My goal is to install Fedora
Core 5 (so I can learn more about the Linux environment) and to become
more comfortable with SCSI drive management. I'm not a true Linux
newbie, but I have only administered existing Linux/Apache servers at
work and my only installs have been on desktops with IDE drives.

The server has the Compaq Smart Array 2/P RAID Controller installed and
two 2.1 GB SCSI drives in the drive cage. The Storage System is also
full of drives, but I am waiting for the SCSI cable to attach it to the
server, because he forgot to grab that when he brought me the rest of
the stuff.

I was able to download and use the SmartStart 5.50 CD to erase the
system and congifure the array. I told it to optimize the system for a
Linux install and at the end, it told me it would restart and I should
follow the OS instructions to continue my install.

I put CD#1 in and let the system boot to it.

The install started and reached a certain point and hung for a very
long time. I cycled the power and tried one mor time. It hangs in the
same place every time.

Here's the text that is on the screen when it hangs:

CPU: Intel Pentium Pro Stepping 07
Checking 'hit' instruction... OK.
ExtINT not setup in hardware but reported by MP table
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
...TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=0 pin2=0
...MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
....trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ...
...... (found pin 0) ...works.
checking if image is initramfs... it is
Freeing initrd memory: 4859k freed
NET: Registered protocal family 16
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0068, last bus=2
PCI: Using configuration type 1
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20060127
ACPI: Interpreter disabled.
Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
usbco registered new driver usbfs
usbco registered new driver hub
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI BIOS passed nonexistent PCI bus 2!
PCI: Device 0000:00:00.0 not found by BIOS
PCI: Device 0000:00:14.0 not found by BIOS
PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:1000000@42000000 for
0000:01:06.0
PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:0d.0

Things I am uncertain about:

Since I don't have the SCSI cable for attaching the Storage System, the
SCSI connector on th rear of the server is unterminated. I don't know
if this model is self terminating, or if I need a terminator. If so,
could that be what is hanging it up?

Could it be a bad RAM issue? The system has, I believe, the 64MB DIMM
and two 128MB DIMMs. Memory counts up fine, but it counts to only 274K
and some change. I'm assuming that's a shared memory situation.

By the way, I tried just for fun and giggles late last night booting to
the Knoppix 5.0.1 CD. It wouldn't load either, but I didn't get the
text from that error, other than it was unable to load and was loading
instead a minimal enivornment that gave me a prompt only.

I really want to get this going. Any hints?

Thanks

Steve

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 2 May 8th 05 09:58 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 27th 04 12:50 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 20th 04 01:05 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM