Silly question regarding fitting an Asus Star Ice onto an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard

Old February 22nd 05, 10:13 PM
Guy Shepherd

Default Silly question regarding fitting an Asus Star Ice onto an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard

This may seem a stupid question, but having just bought one of these
monsters to go with my Asus A8N-SLI motherboard (Skt 939), I'm
struggling to fit it.

Because of the cutout on the base of the cooler, whichever way round I
put it, it just doesn't cover the whole of the CPU, always leaving a
slim edge uncovered.

Now am I just being stupid, or should this thing be in direct contact
with the CPU over its entire surface? It almost seems to me that there
is a fundamental design fault with it but I've heard of loads of other
people using it without problems with an AMD 64. I would certainly
expect it to be compatible with an Asus motherboard...

Never had this problem before with other HSFs

Someone please put me out of my misery!!!

Cheers

Guy
Old February 22nd 05, 11:44 PM
chuckie®

Possible, repeat possible, that it won't fit a Socket 939 processor. The
specs show:
LGA775, Socket 478, K7, K8
as far as sockets go. They do list a cooler specific to Socket 939...HTH...

om...

Old February 23rd 05, 11:55 AM
Guy Shepherd

I checked with the supplier (and a review in Custom PC) and it's
definitely supposed to fit Socket 939. I can't believe it won't fit a
motherboard made by the same company!! There seems to be a lot of
trouble with this heatsink and this motherboard. Wish I had found this
out before I bought it.

The problem seems to be that it doesn't seem to be possible to fit the
heatsink in such a way that it is centred on the processor. Whichever
orientation is chosen, the cutout on the base of the heatsink exposes
one edge of the processor. If I could fit it off centre somehow it
would be fine, but the standard fixings won't allow it.

I'm presuming that it's not good to leave any of the surface of the
CPU exposed...?

Guy

Old February 24th 05, 02:35 AM
chuckie®

I must confess ignorance on the subject of any part of the CPU being
exposed. Never had the problem and haven't read anything about it. It
would seem logical that it shouldn't be, however, it may be alright. I have
a 64/3000+ (socket 754) that I got an Arctic Cool cooler for, now, if I
enable it, the m/b 'guru' thinks the CPU is overheating constantly (it
isn't). Like you said, you would think that the m/b manufacturer would know
what would work and what wouldn't. Mayhap, some other kind soul will have
better advice...luck...