Duplex printers and CD printers

Old March 23rd 06, 10:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Duplex printers and CD printers

Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on CDs?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
For some strange reason those of us who are owned by cats
ascribe motives to the cat that are more benign than the
Old March 24th 06, 12:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Daniel Prince wrote:
Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

1. Using Canon's duplex feature to print both sides takes 2 to 3 times
longer than just flipping the pages manually. It's agonizingly slow.

2. Canon's duplex feature doesn't use the regular pigmented black ink
but a mixture of various dye colors to make black. Hence text is NOT
as dark, lacks the laser like sharpness, and is not the near waterproof
of regular text printing. In fact it will will run badly if wet.

3. Other than that it works :-). So if the above doesn't bother you,
go for it! But I refuse to use it.

-Taliesyn
Old March 24th 06, 12:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:21:06 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

The Hewlett-Packard K550 duplex prints. I believe there are other HP
models that have the feature that you can order in the US, but the
K550 is the only one I've seen that's available in retail stores.

Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on CDs?

Yes, but you can get a CD tray for various Canon models off of eBay or
such, that require little to no modification to work (you might have
to download drivers off of their European website). I don't know
specific model numbers yet, as I am doing research into the best way
to do this right now.

So far I have not seen a model that has /both/ duplex printing and CD
printing. Personally, I almost never use the duplex on my HP 1100D
because the margins on the 'other side' are significantly smaller than
if you just flipped the paper on your own. I think if you use it for
document printing rather than brochures and newsletters (which
normally have smaller margins than a sales report or resume) it's more
useful. But it takes a very long time for it to flip, I don't know how
fast the new K550 does it.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
Old March 24th 06, 12:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Hi!

Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

If you're not looking for printers that are only based on inkjet technology,
Samsung markets some color laser printers that feature a built in duplexer.
I have a Samsung CLP-550n color laser printer--which features the built in
duplexer--and have been very happy with it so far. This is an automatic
duplexer.

HP sold a DeskJet in the US and Canada (the 5850) that could be fitted with
an optional automatic duplexer module.

For black and white lasers, there are quite a few different makers offering
duplexing as a standard feature or as an add-on module. I've got a Xerox
Phaser 4400 that could duplex print.

Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on CDs?

I did a Froogle search on that topic. (I have an Epson Stylus printer that
can print CDs directly and have been very happy with it.) What I found would
seem to suggest that a few alternatives exist, though possibly not from the
other big brands in inkjet printing.

William

Old March 24th 06, 12:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I have a Canon MP450 and I found that in the Properties - Maintenance -
Ink Cartridge Settings
you can set to Black Only. This forces all printing to use only the Black
cartridge. I use this all the
time as I mostly print just text. This setting also does a good job on
shading color output if you
don't want a color image (e.g. like a WEB page copy or PDF page print). This
mode sure saves
on color cartridge useage and when you need to print color just turn the
setting back to Both.

This feature also gives you the option of turning off an empty cartridge if
you don't have one
available and you need to get a print job out.

I do Duplex printing once and a while and it does a great job with the Black
only ink setting.
You do get a warning message at the start of each print job but not a
problem for me.

Rich

Old March 24th 06, 01:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Yes, but you can get a CD tray for various Canon models off of eBay or
such, that require little to no modification to work (you might have
to download drivers off of their European website). I don't know
specific model numbers yet, as I am doing research into the best way
to do this right now.

All the info you need is here
http://pixma.webpal.info/

If we are talking the ip3000/4000/5000/6000/mp750/760/780, I can say
you definatly do not need the european drivers. I have personaly
tested the mp760 and the ip3000 on the US driver... both the website
and the ones on disc. You will have to tweek a regkey setting but
that's easy enough to do and can be done by downloading a simple file
off of Knightcrawler's website.

The newer pixmas you'd have to check with someone who's used it.

I series - you need parts you can't get
early ip series - button presses, screw driver panel removal, regkey
edit, tray. Rollers if you like
newer ip series - Pretty sure it's the same deal except it comes with
rollers.

Old March 24th 06, 04:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Taliesyn wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:

Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

1. Using Canon's duplex feature to print both sides takes 2 to 3 times
longer than just flipping the pages manually. It's agonizingly slow.

HEY TALLYHO YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ELSE WHILE YOU ARE ENJOYING THE CONVIENCE

2. Canon's duplex feature doesn't use the regular pigmented black ink
but a mixture of various dye colors to make black. Hence text is NOT
as dark, lacks the laser like sharpness, and is not the near waterproof
of regular text printing. In fact it will will run badly if wet.

I USE THE DUPLEX FEATURE ALL OF THE TIME AND FEEL THAT THE RESULTS ARE
JUST FINE. IT IS VERY CONVENIENT WHEN PRINTING MULTIPLE PAGES FROM THE
WEB AS WELL.

3. Other than that it works :-). So if the above doesn't bother you,
go for it! But I refuse to use it.

YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL KID WHO STILL NEEDS TO LEARN THINGS SO YOU CAN
HAVE GOOD JUDGEMENT. IT SEEMS YOU HAVE FALLEN BEHIND.

-Taliesyn

Old March 24th 06, 04:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Daniel Prince wrote:

Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

HP HAS HAD IT FOR YEARS BUT THE CANONS HAVE DUPLEX AND TWIN PAPER FEED
SO THE PAPER HANDLING IS BETTER THAN HP

Old April 1st 06, 09:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Taliesyn wrote:
Daniel Prince wrote:

2. Canon's duplex feature doesn't use the regular pigmented black ink
but a mixture of various dye colors to make black. Hence text is NOT
as dark, lacks the laser like sharpness, and is not the near waterproof
of regular text printing.

My ip4000 has two black cartridges. Isn't one of them used for blacks
when printing in color, or?? Or is the second cartridge used for black
when printing in color but not in duplex mode?
Old April 2nd 06, 06:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Dan Wenz wrote in :

My ip4000 has two black cartridges. Isn't one of them used for blacks
when printing in color, or?? Or is the second cartridge used for black
when printing in color but not in duplex mode?

One is used in text mode mostly, the other in photo mode. Duplexing uses
the photo mode on the opposite side, so will use the dye BCI6 black.

Printers dependent on IE MCheu Printers 3 February 7th 06 11:00 PM
New printer dcprenti Printers 15 September 10th 04 10:39 AM
Why are low dpi printers more expensive? Mark B. Printers 21 August 11th 04 01:57 AM
Getting consistent colors from different Tektronix / Xerox printers Kirill Ponazdyr Printers 2 July 19th 04 04:16 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM