80 Wire vs 40 Wire for DVD burner and CDROM

Old January 25th 04, 08:47 PM
Striker

Default 80 Wire vs 40 Wire for DVD burner and CDROM

Can I use a 80 wire ribbon cable with my DVD burner and CDRom
or should I use a 40 wire cable? Are there any advantages or disadvantages
to either one? Thanks,

Old January 25th 04, 11:13 PM
+CrimsonLiar

"Striker" wrote in message
Can I use a 80 wire ribbon cable with my DVD burner and CDRom
or should I use a 40 wire cable? Are there any advantages or disadvantages
to either one? Thanks,

It depends on which cable you have handy and if airflow/tidyness is a
consideration. In terms of performance on UDMA devices such as your DVD and
CDR it wont make a jot of difference.

CrimsonLiar

Old January 26th 04, 06:05 PM
Henrik Dissing

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:13:54 -0000, +CrimsonLiar wrote:

"Striker" wrote in message
Can I use a 80 wire ribbon cable with my DVD burner and CDRom
or should I use a 40 wire cable? Are there any advantages or disadvantages
to either one? Thanks,

It depends on which cable you have handy and if airflow/tidyness is a
consideration.

Erh, airflow and tidiness are hardly factors when comparing 80 wire and 40
wire ribbon cables.

Striker, you can use either, but if you have a spare 80 wire cable, use that
one. It's only at higher speeds than what DVD/CDROM drives usually run at
that 80 wire with its better shielding is required, but it will work well
for your purpose. So will 40 wire.
--
Best regards,
Henrik Dissing

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)
Old January 26th 04, 07:58 PM
+CrimsonLiar

Erh, airflow and tidiness are hardly factors when comparing 80 wire and 40
wire ribbon cables.

Striker, you can use either, but if you have a spare 80 wire cable, use

that
one. It's only at higher speeds than what DVD/CDROM drives usually run at
that 80 wire with its better shielding is required, but it will work well
for your purpose. So will 40 wire.
--
Best regards,
Henrik Dissing

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

Please go back and read my WHOLE post. Im not sure if you are dissagreeing
with me or agreeing

CrimsonLiar