New AMD CPU

Old May 13th 04, 03:26 PM
James

Default New AMD CPU

Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?
I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the near
future i'd rather wait a little

Old May 13th 04, 03:39 PM
Wayne @ W.

According to this, it looks like May 25th of this year.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03...9_chip_launch/

Old May 14th 04, 01:16 AM
General Schvantzkoph

"James" wrote in message
Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?
I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the near
future i'd rather wait a little

Or possible early June. There is a big show in Taiwan in June where the
motherboards for the 939 pin part are expected to be announced.

Old May 13th 04, 10:19 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:26:00 +0000, James wrote:

Hey, when is the new 64bit AMD CPU supposed to come out?

Which new cpu? The 64 bit Opteron was released in April of 2003. Since
then there have been many "new" 64bit cpu's.

I'd like to try the 64bit chip, but if its going to be changed in the
near future i'd rather wait a little

Everything changes, always in the near future in this field.

Old May 14th 04, 08:55 PM
James

yes i was looking for the 939, and i know everything changes, but if its
coming out in a month, i'd say its better to wait the month, and get a mobo,
that is going to have new cpus coming out for it for more then another
couple of months!!

newsan.2004.05.13.21.26.15.851687@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old May 16th 04, 10:59 PM
jes

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:55:53 GMT, "James" wrote:

yes i was looking for the 939, and i know everything changes, but if its
coming out in a month, i'd say its better to wait the month, and get a mobo,
that is going to have new cpus coming out for it for more then another
couple of months!!

I picked up the old style about a month or two ago. Although it's
limited, it works well enough that it'll be a viable system until it
dies of old age. I've got several systems, so there's always
something it can do for me. It runs as fast as anything REASONABLE
available and does it cooler and quieter than the others.

PS this was written on a P2B 700mhz system

Obsolete and worthless, eh ?

Old May 16th 04, 11:06 PM
Jason Cothran

jes wrote in message ...
| On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:55:53 GMT, "James" wrote:

snip

| PS this was written on a P2B 700mhz system
|
| Obsolete and worthless, eh ?

Nah. I have an old PIII 450 I still use. Granted, it isn't running Windoze
on it (currently dual booting Slackware and Mandrake 10), but even if it
was, it would be suitable for maybe just an internet machine or word
processor wink.

Old May 16th 04, 11:16 PM
Wayne @ W.

Not if if suits your need. But I would consider upgrading ASAP if you live
in the USA. (prices for motherboards and CPU's seem to be cheaper here,
from what I gather.)

Wayne

Old May 22nd 04, 07:32 PM
rstlne

"Wayne @ W." wrote in message
Not if if suits your need. But I would consider upgrading ASAP if you live
in the USA. (prices for motherboards and CPU's seem to be cheaper here,
from what I gather.)

Wayne

Uh..
Laugh..
Silly statement that
Upgrade ASAP cause your in the USA and it's cheaper.
That would mean that ppl in China or Korea upgrade about once a week