Sapphire 9800 Pro, 128mb

Old February 27th 04, 05:26 PM
Danny

Default Sapphire 9800 Pro, 128mb

Hey everyone.

I've just took the plunge and ordered the Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb, I've
decided to see what all the fuss is about with these new ATI cards! I'm
currently running a GeForce 3 Ti200, whilst it has served me extremely well
over the years, it's getting a bit long in the tooth these days. So, first
question I want to ask is... did I make the right choice of ATI card, is the
9800 Pro 128mb by Sapphire considered a good card?! And what exactly do I
have to do to wipe all the Nvidia stuff from my comp, short of re-formatting
or manually going through the registry?! What I mean is, is there a utility
out there that will do it all for me... I'm lazy like that!

Thanks for all your help and I hope to be amazed by this new card very soon!

Danny

Old February 27th 04, 09:50 PM
John Hall

You made the perfect choice. I don't think the XT version of the card is
worth the bucks right now. There is a utility for getting rid of all of
Nvidia's drivers. Its called the Detonator Destroyer. Look for it on the
net.

JK

. ..

Old February 27th 04, 11:46 PM
We Live For The One We Die For The One

I upgraded from a Gf3 Ti 200 to a Redeon 9600 Pro and it was a big
difference, though i also upgraded my CPu froma celeron 433 to a Athon
xp 2000

Might do another upgrade to a Barton 3200 and a 9800 Pro, but maybe
ill wait tillthe 64bit cpus and PCI express cards come out.

Either way you made a great choice will do you for YONKS.

Old February 28th 04, 02:03 AM
Ben Pope

Danny wrote:
Hey everyone.

I've just took the plunge and ordered the Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb, I've
decided to see what all the fuss is about with these new ATI cards! I'm
currently running a GeForce 3 Ti200, whilst it has served me extremely
well over the years, it's getting a bit long in the tooth these days. So,
first question I want to ask is... did I make the right choice of ATI
card, is the 9800 Pro 128mb by Sapphire considered a good card?!

Yeah, I got a Crucial (which I beleive to be a re-badged Sapphire) and it
flies.

What Chipset/CPU you running?

I can do 1600x1200 in Splinter Cell, CoD, NFSU:UG, Vice City and Prince of
Persia, so I think it could be considered a good card, but you do need a
decent Processor (2GHz ish) and fast RAM to fully appreciate it.

And what
exactly do I have to do to wipe all the Nvidia stuff from my comp, short
of re-formatting or manually going through the registry?! What I mean is,
is there a utility out there that will do it all for me... I'm lazy like
that!

There were a list of cleaners mentioned in a thread recently... Det
Destroyer (mentioned as DD) is the one I already knew of, but others might
be appropriate depending on your OS. If you uninstall the drivers from the
control panel you don't usually have problems.

Have fun with your new card.

Ben

Old February 28th 04, 06:01 AM
JLC

"Danny" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Danny the easiest way to clean out the old drivers is to use add/remove.
Then just do a search for nv*.* delete anything that comes up and you'll be
good to go.
I just bought that same card two weeks ago and I went from a G4 Ti-4200 and
let me tell you, your mind will be blown! Make sure you turn on at lest 4x
AA and you can crank up the Anisotropic Filtering to what ever you want. I
run mine at 4xAA and 4x tri Aniso. You will not believe your eyes when you
see your games running with these setting. It makes all the difference in
the world.
I was so blown away last night I nearly had a seizer! I've played the hell
out of NFS Hot Pursuit 2 (I know, everyone thinks it stinks, but I like it)
I loaded for the first time last night with my new card. I'm not kidding
when I say that I didn't recognize the level I was playing! I total freaked
out! The game looks so much better it doesn't even look the same. With my
4200 all the colors where muted and the textures where blurry (Quincunx AA
at work) I played the game for over 2 hours trying all the different courses
and they all looks 100% better. So yes! You made the right decision! Have
fun! Oh and if you really want to see what your card can do go to ATI's site
and do a search for "demo" get "Chimp" and "Pipedreams" for sure but I have
them all and they all are fantastic to look at! JLC

Old February 28th 04, 06:50 AM
Sam Higgins

"Danny" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have had one for two days now and I think it's great, however the official
ATI drivers caused some problems in a couple of games so I de-installed
them. I found the Omega ones suggested in the newsgroup here to have worked
flawlessly.

http://www.omegacorner.com/index_ati.html

Everything I own, so far, I have kicked up the resolution to 1152 x 864 and
turned all game detail up to max. Radeon's FSAA is better than Nvidia's if
you take the time to look closely and compare. Anisotropic filering
sometimes helps games, sometimes it just kills your framerate. All older
games you can crank these to the max.

I find the 9800 Pro runs a little on the warm side so I would make sure your
PC has good airflow. I run an aircleaner right by my rig to suck up the
dust. It really helps keep it out of my fans.

Have fun!

Old February 28th 04, 05:58 PM
Danny

"Ben Pope" wrote...

Hey everyone.

I've just took the plunge and ordered the Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb, I've
decided to see what all the fuss is about with these new ATI cards! I'm
currently running a GeForce 3 Ti200, whilst it has served me extremely
well over the years, it's getting a bit long in the tooth these days.

So,
first question I want to ask is... did I make the right choice of ATI
card, is the 9800 Pro 128mb by Sapphire considered a good card?!

Yeah, I got a Crucial (which I beleive to be a re-badged Sapphire) and it
flies.

What Chipset/CPU you running?

I can do 1600x1200 in Splinter Cell, CoD, NFSU:UG, Vice City and Prince of
Persia, so I think it could be considered a good card, but you do need a
decent Processor (2GHz ish) and fast RAM to fully appreciate it.

Thanks alot everyone for there replies, I'm glad I made the right choice!
I'm currently running a XP2500+ Barton on an Asus A7N8X - X mobo, with the
nForce 2 400 chipset. And 256mb DDR ram, which is soon to be upgraded to
512mb. So hopefully I'll have the system to back up the 9800!

And what
exactly do I have to do to wipe all the Nvidia stuff from my comp, short
of re-formatting or manually going through the registry?! What I mean

is,
is there a utility out there that will do it all for me... I'm lazy like
that!

There were a list of cleaners mentioned in a thread recently... Det
Destroyer (mentioned as DD) is the one I already knew of, but others might
be appropriate depending on your OS. If you uninstall the drivers from

the
control panel you don't usually have problems.

Have fun with your new card.

Thanks, I'll do a search for that and see what it's like, I'll do the reg
clean as well like somebody else suggested, I wanna be sure I've got rid of
all traces of Nvidia... the last thing I need is instability with this new
card.

Thanks again for all the replies, it's put my mind at ease a great deal....
now I just wish the thing would hurry up and arrive!

Danny

Old February 28th 04, 06:53 PM
Ben Pope

Danny wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote...
What Chipset/CPU you running?

I'm currently running a XP2500+ Barton on an Asus A7N8X - X mobo, with the
nForce 2 400 chipset. And 256mb DDR ram, which is soon to be upgraded to
512mb. So hopefully I'll have the system to back up the 9800!

Well I got a 2500+ on an A7N8X Deluxe, so pretty much the same, I guess.

You'll be impressed with it.

Ben

Old February 29th 04, 06:39 AM
AlphaWoolf

I just got this card as well, and it is a very good deal. I'm very
pleased with the performance. However, I'm experiencing some
weirdness in games that I * might* associate with an overheating video
card. My Antec case is sufficiently ventilated IMO, so I wonder if
I've received a marginal card. Is there a video card equivalent to
Prime95 that I can test this card with? 3DMark03 and Aquamark won't
loop (at least the free versions, correct me if I'm wrong), and the
ATI demos run so flawlessly I wonder if they really stress the card.

I really want to give this card a workout!

Jack
Remove your coat for email.
Old February 29th 04, 02:41 PM
Ben Pope

AlphaWoolf wrote:
I just got this card as well, and it is a very good deal. I'm very
pleased with the performance. However, I'm experiencing some
weirdness in games that I * might* associate with an overheating video
card. My Antec case is sufficiently ventilated IMO, so I wonder if
I've received a marginal card. Is there a video card equivalent to
Prime95 that I can test this card with? 3DMark03 and Aquamark won't
loop (at least the free versions, correct me if I'm wrong), and the
ATI demos run so flawlessly I wonder if they really stress the card.

I really want to give this card a workout!

Well tell us the problems...

Ben