Printer which can copy driver's license on one side and carregistration card on another

Old November 28th 20, 09:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Printer which can copy driver's license on one side and carregistration card on another

On 11/23/2020 12:43 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:

Storing on-line isn't the best idea in my opinion. These are copies of
documents that can be used to prove identification so should be kept
very securely.

No matter where you store the file, it is someone else's personal and
private data, so you should encrypt it. Once encrypted, who is going to
see it if the file is on a CD/DVD, USB HDD, USB flash drive, or online?
Um, just how is this user going to secure a scanned and printed copy of
their customers' driver license? In a file behind the front desk that
anyone can access? A paper hardcopy is hardly secure. No way to
encrypt that. Anyone can access a paper copy: unscrupulous employees,
anyone wandering behind the front desk (even when it is closed you can
just hop over the desk), and I've yet to see the front desk using
lockable filing drawers or have good locks on them (a large square shaft
screwdriver and crescent wrench will make short work of those crappy
locks, anyway, and the employees know where is the key).

The OP didn't say where is the hotel.

I thought I mentioned "A friend of mine is a small hotel owner in
Florida "? I don't know if it got truncated when getting to this group.

I've heard some EU states are
obligated to send a record of your presence to the police. See
http://www.privacysurgeon.org/blog/i...s-and-the-nsa/.
Ain't the EU oh-so wonderful. Happens in my country, too, but I'm not
sure they scan or take a pic of my driver license. I have seen them
write down the ID number on the registration card.

Also of note is that is may be illegal to copy and retain a driver
license at its original size (something to do with providing a source
for forging the ID). So, the printed copy has to get enlarged, which
means the OP will still need to use the cheaper choice of 8.5x11" paper.

For the same reason I don't think it's wise to take a pic "with your
smartphone" (a lot of which automatically back up to 'the cloud').

Of the smartphones that I've owned, all of them have the option to NOT
copy photos to some cloud storage. In fact, as I recall, I had to
lookup the setting to enable auto cloud sync with the phone. I don't
auto-upload any pics taken with my phone. I don't want to waste the
storage quota in my online account on what are likely trivial or
transitory photos. If I want to save the photos off my phone, I use
Bluetooth or a USB cable to my desktop PC.

Not just that but they're prone to damage or loss.

Not if the phone were only used for taking pics. Just because it's a
phone doesn't mean you have to use it that way. Doesn't take much
quality for a camera to snap a photo of a driver license. You can get
discarded working cell phones with cameras for cheap at the Goodwill.
Or dig out the old one you stuffed in a drawer when you moved to a new
phone.

If you don't have a data plan and the wifi radio is disabled, how are
photos getting off that phone? No one will have access to them except
whomever can access the phone, just like whomever can access your filing
drawer, or your desktop PC, or whatever else you use.

If pics rather than scans are to be used then I would suggest a
dedicated camera for the job.

Some desk jockey fumbling around to fish a camera out of a drawer to
take a pic of your driver license is just as likely as to drop a phone.
One advantage I see is you can get some rather boob-level point-n-shoot
camera, so the desk jockey doesn't have to figure out how to take a
photo. The OP is unclear just how big is his friend's hotel. Rather
than spending money on a digital camera, his friend probably already has
a smartphone. After all, the focus is on pinching pennies as hard as
possible. If the OP cannot afford a sheet of 8.5x11" paper per print of
a driver license, how is the OP going to afford getting any camera?

It's possible the OP has an old digital camera collecting dust in a
drawer that he could use to take snapshots of driver licenses. More
likely is the OP has a smart phone with a camera. The OP still has to
get the info to the police, so how secure is that process?

Since the idea is to get the task done as cheaply as possible, I don't
see using paper and ink is the best choice, especially if this info is
to get transferred to the police. First see what the OP has for digital
storage. Does the scanner save to a file instead of printer? If so,
there are lots of ways to encrypt that data. Does the OP have a spare
cell phone with camera? Well, without a data plan or wifi enabled,
those pics aren't going anywhere except via Bluetooth or USB cable.
Maybe the OP does have a spare digital camera. In either case, the
point was to replace scanner, paper, and ink with a camera whether it be
a dedicated camera or one in a smart phone.

Not sure why the OP even has to scan the driver license or take photos
of it. Customers fill out a registration card, or the desk jockey does
it, and they simply transcribe the driver ID info to the card (and then
somehow get a copy to the police since that would be the only reason for
the OP's declaration of "legally required").

The issue is hotel owner is not tech-savvy. Hence, he feels more
comfortable with paper copies of customer's information. I agree it is
LOT cheaper to just keep a scanned copy until it is needed.

What seems incongruous is the OP is looking for the cheapest way to
record driver ID info, but the OP also says the hotel is down due to
COVID. If the hotel is down, no one is staying there, so no need to
record driver IDs. We respondents might've gotten had.

The hotel's business is down this year, like most hotels, but the hotel
owner expects to revive or get more customers in summer of next year.
This group has lot of helpful people and I appreciate their advice.
Old November 28th 20, 09:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 11/22/2020 7:08 PM, Paul wrote:
s wrote:

A friend of mine is a small hotel owner in Florida and wants a printer
which can copy driver's license on one side and car registration card
on another and use only the required paper instead of 8.5 X 11 size
paper. His business is down because of the pandemic
so he is trying to save on paper, printer ink costs. For legal
reasons, he has to make a paper copy of a customer's driving license
and car registration card when a customer checks-in to his hotel.

I searched and did not see any printer model used by hoteliers

Is there any printer for such custom needs?

The function exists, but generally there is no interest in
reducing the size of media wasted. I can find all sorts of
single-sided examples to 8.5x11. This one happens to be double sided,
but the paper is set to 8.5x11, and I don't know if
the device would do a copy, if a smaller size of media was
placed in the paper tray. Most devices are smart enough to
notice the paper is the wrong size. You also have to consider
the size of the file cabinet these will be placed in, and
whether the other paperwork for the client is already
8.5x11.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...aq00003017_001

Not all source material copies with equal ease.
Car registrations may contain anti-copy measures.
This may place a moire pattern in the output print.

A business card copier, the area scanned may be too
small to cover the registration well. The drivers
license card might scan OK.

Â*Â* Paul

Thanks Paul,

This is very helpful. I appreciate it.
Old November 28th 20, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 11/22/2020 8:46 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
You may be better off using a mobile phone to take a photo of each
side, then downloading to imaging software like Photoshop Elements
etc.

Thanks, the issue is hotel owner is not tech-savvy. Hence, he feels more
comfortable with paper copies of customer's information. I agree it is
LOT cheaper to just keep a scanned copy until it is needed.

I appreciate your advice.
Old November 28th 20, 09:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 11/23/2020 12:34 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.comp.hardware, on Sun, 22 Nov 2020 16:38:22 -0700, s
wrote:

A friend of mine is a small hotel owner in Florida and wants a printer
which can copy driver's license on one side and car registration card on
another and use only the required paper instead of 8.5 X 11 size paper.
His business is down because of the pandemic
so he is trying to save on paper, printer ink costs. For legal reasons,

I agree that he's not going to save much on paper or ink, esp. if he
adds the cost of a new printer.

But if he can hold out to march and/or june, business should be picking
up, including whachacallit, suppressed demand, both business and
pleasure. He may be able to even raise his rates and explain how little
money he made, how much he lost last year.

But for an academic*** exercise, I'd consider a 2-sided printer**,
printing both items on the top half of a page, making a hand-written
notation on it of which guest it represents since it won't be
immediately attached to the rest of the guest's records, then for the
next or some future guest, reversing the paper, top to bottom, and
printing on the other end.

**Which I suspect he has already. They're really great, and work so
much better than I expected.

Thanks, he is doing it with a one-sided printer now. He copies the
driver's license, then takes the blank side of copy and uses it for
making a copy of car registration.
I appreciate the suggestion.

***It was going to be academic, but I like it so much I think it's
excellent and fully practical.

Old November 28th 20, 09:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 11/23/2020 7:59 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 11/22/2020 6:38 PM, s wrote:

A friend of mine is a small hotel owner in Florida and wants a printer
which can copy driver's license on one side and car registration card
on another and use only the required paper instead of 8.5 X 11 size
paper. His business is down because of the pandemic
so he is trying to save on paper, printer ink costs. For legal
reasons, he has to make a paper copy of a customer's driving license
and car registration card when a customer checks-in to his hotel.

I searched and did not see any printer model used by hoteliers

Is there any printer for such custom needs?

Well, the scanning part could be easy, if a bit expensive, and will only
work if the DL and registration are just about the same size so that can
be fed back-to-back:

https://www.amazon.com/Duplex-Medica.../dp/B00Z2MPIYY

You've probably seen this or the equivalent at the front desk of every
medical office. Note that in some states, Tennessee for example, the two
documents are not even similar in size, the registration being a full A4
type sheet while the DL is your regular laminated card. Also, if the
cards being scanned are overly thick feeding both simultaneously would
be troublesome or impossible.

Thanks, this is helpful and I sent this to him. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old November 28th 20, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On 11/22/2020 11:29 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
On 23/11/2020 2:09 pm, VanguardLH wrote:
s wrote:

A friend of mine is a small hotel owner in Florida and wants a printer
which can copy driver's license on one side and car registration card on
another and use only the required paper instead of 8.5 X 11 size paper.
His business is down because of the pandemic
so he is trying to save on paper, printer ink costs. For legal reasons,
he has to make a paper copy of a customer's driving license and car
registration card when a customer checks-in to his hotel.

I searched and did not see any printer model used by hoteliers

Is there any printer for such custom needs?

You won't say any money on ink.Â* The scanner will bring in just the
driver license.Â* The rest will be white (the scanner's back/topside).
Many scan programs even let you select which region of the scan will get
saved.Â* No matter the size of paper (as long as it is larger than the
driver's license), the same amount of ink will get used to print the
front and back sides.

A ream (500 sheets) of 24-lb inkjet paper costs about $15 (price taken
from OfficeMax).Â* That's 3 cents per sheet.Â* You might find a sale for
cheaper paper, but quality will also suffer, like ink bleeding, poor
opacity, etc.Â* Printers usually take a variety of paper sizes.
Postcards will cost $23 for 200, but the cost goes up to over 11 cents
per card.Â* Sheets of business cards, about the size of a driver's
license, will cost you about 7 cents per card.Â* You'll need some
software that not only prints on a per-card spacing, but also
double-side prints to the same card.Â* Hard to beat the price of a single
8.5x11 sheet of paper which is easy to double-side print with most
printers (just by flipping the paper to print the next image on the
other side).

Why do you even bother to print a copy of the driver's license.Â* Use
your smartphone to take a pic of both sides.Â* Then store the pic online
with free storage,

Storing on-line isn't the best idea in my opinion. These are copies of
documents that can be used to prove identification so should be kept
very securely.

For the same reason I don't think it's wise to take a pic "with your
smartphone" (a lot of which automatically back up to 'the cloud'). Not
just that but they're prone to damage or loss. If pics rather than scans
are to be used then I would suggest a dedicated camera for the job.

Thanks, the owner is not tech-savvy. I told him to be safe with online
backups.

on a USB flash drive, a USB HDD, burn onto optical
discs if they're needed for business purposes for 7 years, or otherwise
use some digital storage media or service.Â* If, and only, if, you
someday need a hardcopy then you can print the stored front/back pics,
but only when needed.Â* "For legal reasons" requiring a paper copy, just
print several of the images per sheet of paper: front side of a dozen
driver's licenses on one side, back of the same dozen driver's licenses
on the other side.Â* Cut up the paper if they must be stored separately.
I didn't bother to look since it's not a task I'm interested in, but
there is likely some software that will print multiple images per sheet.
After, despite the hardcopy requirement, it's all digital images before
printing onto paper, so just print more images per sheet.

Old November 28th 20, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 16:38:22 -0700, s wrote:

A friend of mine is a small hotel owner in Florida and wants a printer
which can copy driver's license on one side and car registration card on
another and use only the required paper instead of 8.5 X 11 size paper.
His business is down because of the pandemic
so he is trying to save on paper, printer ink costs. For legal reasons,
he has to make a paper copy of a customer's driving license and car
registration card when a customer checks-in to his hotel.

I searched and did not see any printer model used by hoteliers

Is there any printer for such custom needs?

There may be a ticket printer to do the job if this can be hooked up
to the scanner/computer. Thermal paper rolls need be as wide as the
licence/registration cards.
There are millions of them....
https://www.google.com/search?as_st=...le type=&tbs=
....especially if color is not required.