I got two Nvidia cards

Old May 5th 18, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default I got two Nvidia cards

I got two Nvidia cards at a garage sale, along with a large Dell monitor
that apparently was made to go with them. The cord on the monitor is not
the usual SVGA connector, it's got 24 pins. (3 rows of 8 pins), plus a
large flat pin on the end.

These cards look like they were costly. There is a fan on them. Both are
identical. I can not find any model number though.

Will these cards work in a older desktop computer from around 2010 to
2012? The computrer is running XP Pro SP3. The computer is capable of 64
bit, but I only use 32 bit stuff.

I know I will need drivers for it. How do I find a model number and/or
what drivers do I need?

Must I disable the built in video card? (I'd like to have both if
possible, because I may want to use one of my older monitors at times
too).

Thanks

Old May 5th 18, 07:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 04 May 2018 22:53:34 -0500, wrote:

I got two Nvidia cards at a garage sale, along with a large Dell monitor
that apparently was made to go with them. The cord on the monitor is not
the usual SVGA connector, it's got 24 pins. (3 rows of 8 pins), plus a
large flat pin on the end.

These cards look like they were costly. There is a fan on them. Both are
identical. I can not find any model number though.

Will these cards work in a older desktop computer from around 2010 to
2012? The computrer is running XP Pro SP3. The computer is capable of 64
bit, but I only use 32 bit stuff.

I know I will need drivers for it. How do I find a model number and/or
what drivers do I need?

Must I disable the built in video card? (I'd like to have both if
possible, because I may want to use one of my older monitors at times
too).

They're all costly until a garage sale or a little time passes between
what's 'hotter than hot' in gameland. Video boards moreso: used to be
more MBs were sold vid-chipped to avoid some of that, although, what
I'm seeing, getting out from under their thumb, having to buy a
videoboard, maybe a GPU/CPU solution, can offer potential
complications among additional decisions.

If you've a PCI-E MB you're fine. PCI graphic cards earlier were cool
too once, and still as easy to configure as vid-chipped MBs. Matrox
made a hell'va no-nonsense PCI graphic solution back in its day, when
boards actually had lots of PCI slots;- not all of them do now, or its
contingentially a part of the plan, slots, when considering what MB to
buy.

Graphic drivers are also now likely unified, "one size fits all"
software solution packaging. The BIOS post also provides info, as
well as nitty-gritty of fine print on the actual chips on the board.

You'll have to test your BIOS for compatibility, how well it takes to
what it says it will do. Keep a paperclip handy for resetting the MB
pinjumper's BIOS-Default to hotjump it if it locks out on you. I
don't mean to be nasty, but when they do get that way, all else being
equal, I tend favor nice and easy configurations over riskier
propositions contrary to what a MB likes best.

Then again I have reasonably low video expectations: basic or sticking
with a default reset video-chipped MB's BIOS setting being one
preference to...KISS (ostensibly mandatory, notably, to *NIX platforms
than MS's worldview).